Comment

You need to be a member of Art of Manliness to add comments!

Join Art of Manliness

Comment by Sean O' on December 24, 2013 at 8:07am

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am spending Christmas overseas (vacation) and not online much. Rick - I have not seen a machine for this. If I had I would love to play around and see how it effects my pull. Carl - I was also told that scraping your shins means you are doing it right. It makes sense because you really do want to press through your heels and pulling the bar up your shins means you are keeping it as close to your heals as possible with a straight bar. Merry Christmas!!!!

Comment by Carl Monster on December 6, 2013 at 11:18pm

I scrape. Don't feel it as I'm a bit distracted, but I was told bleeding shins are a sign I'm doing them right.

Comment by Rick Shelton on December 6, 2013 at 10:57pm

As Carl says, wow.  I've never used the bar shown in your video I used a machine to keep the weight more over the heels 'cause I don't like scrapping up my shins with the straight bar.

Comment by Sean O' on November 27, 2013 at 10:17am

Best of luck. If you have any questions shoot me a message and I will do my best in an attempt to give you an answer.

Comment by Carl Monster on November 27, 2013 at 10:10am

I honor your service and sacrifice.

Thanks for the tip; for deads I usually focus on pulling and not what my legs are doing, I simply push with them as a follow-though. Will think about heels next time.

Lunges can be just as "fun" as squats.

Comment by Sean O' on November 27, 2013 at 9:59am

Yah....pretty much like a squat. Even with a straight bar you want to push through your heals when deadlifting. But with a straight bar the weight is still further out over the front of your foot, even if you are dragging it up your shin. It doesn't look like much, but with a bad back that little bit feels like a ton.

If you keep your form good and tight and don't rush your progress you shouldn't have to worry much about your back. Just don't spend years jumping out of airplanes and pretending you are a pack-mule.

Squats are out for me now as well. They turn into a back workout and not a leg workout. So for legs I like to pre-exhaust with the leg extension machine, and then use lunges or goblet squats.

Comment by Carl Monster on November 27, 2013 at 9:51am

I know exactly (I think) what you mean; like a squat.

I might try it as my weights goes up; don't want to screw my back up either and I love (ha ha) squats.

Comment by Sean O' on November 27, 2013 at 9:27am

Thanks Carl. Ever since my back injury I cant pull with a straight bar anymore. The hex bar (trap bar) allows me to put the weight directly over my heals and push through my heals into the ground. I hope that makes sense.

Comment by Carl Monster on November 27, 2013 at 7:52am

Wow. and more wow.

Funny coincidence, on my deadlift day this week I was doing the basic version, then a guy comes along with the thing you are using; never saw that before. I asked him about it, couldn't tell me how it was different from the standard deadlift though.

Latest Activity

Leto Atreides II replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"Greetings Professor Falken."
2 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Jake Maestas's discussion 50 books challenge
"I had mine tested in college as part of a course. A cursory search returned this: http://www.readingsoft.com/"
9 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"Some feminists don't like that, either.  Conversation from 'The F Word: Feminist Media Collective' that covered the topic ... http://www.feminisms.org/5954/a-feminist-conversation-on-chivalry/ Apparently, they distinguish…"
12 minutes ago
Scott L Ferrell replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"Why not be a real man and get up and give your seat to a lady. "
27 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"There's plenty of reason.  My natural sitting position is with my knees 12-18 inches apart.  Any closer than about three inches apart is pretty uncomfortable, to the extent I'd rather stand than sit like that.  But,…"
37 minutes ago
Shane replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"If you're gonna play that game though, when you offer your seat you need to say, "It's my Privilege.""
42 minutes ago
Art replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"'reckon what'd be more offensive to the card-carrying feminist: Continue to 'manspread', or like a gentleman stand and offer your place?"
53 minutes ago
"... with an epic Wilford Brimly mustache, no less. Actually, if he was having to haul a chair around, sitting in it takes less space on the train than would standing beside it. JB"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service