Hello everyone, I am Matt and I figured I would do the 30 days to a better man as blog posts. I am looking forward to going through this.
Day 1 is "Define Your Core Values", it is suggested to choose only 5 but having gone through this I had a hard time limiting it down to 5, but I got it down pretty close so hear it goes. My Core Values as I see them at this point in my life.
1. Wisdom and Knowledge is not only something I value highly but seek to atain for the rest of my life. I believe we should never stop learning and that means both Academic (Knowledge) and experience (Wisdom).
2. Friends and Family. I have these two together because I really see them as the same thing. I have some very specific friends that I consider family, and I have some family that I do and don't consider friends. These people are very important to me and I would do anything to help them and protect them.
3. Independence and Confidence. More recently in my life I have been trying to focus on these two important values that in my mind go hand in hand. I have had low self esteem over the years and have been working to fix this, and having just moved out on my own less then a year ago I have noticed it improve as I work to become more and more Indepentent and Self Sufficent.
4. Integrity is something I hold to be very important in many parts of my life and I feel touches in many areas, those with strong Integrity will not lie, cheat or steal. They are people who you can hold them on their word, and if they don't come through it isn't due to a lack of trying. I may still have problems with my self esteem, but when I say I will do something I make ever effort to accomplish it, even if I am fighting some part of my self that says I can't.
5.Spirituality and Adventure. These two I grouped together because they fit hand in hand with me. I don't follow any specific Spiritual road yet so I am always learning new things and try to experience what I can from the various religions and mindsets. Each time I meet someone from another Spiritual path, or read a book on some sort of Philosiphy I feel that they bring me further on the adventure on finding the truth that I see in this world.
6. Security. I am working to enter the field of Network Security. In learning for this field you also learn parts about physical security. To catch a criminal sometimes you have to think like a criminal and there are times this has made me seem paranoid but I've come to appreciate the importance of Security and because of this I've come to learn about the things they do and even how it can help me by turning it around to be used as ways to protect myself and others.
I am sure these will change over time but at this point in my life these are what hold the closest to me.