Do kids still play shirts vs. skins in school or pick me up basketball?  I saw a website called shirtsvsskins.org and it had no pix of bare-chested players. In eight grade we played that way and I remember being shocked to see chest hairs on one more mature boy.  But that was the 70's.   I can imagine that in today's world it may be considered harassment to force a boy to take his shirt off. What are your experiences? 

Views: 1221

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely brutal and the most silly thing I´ve ever seen.

Pick-up basketball, yes -- at the Y and on outdoor courts, but not in military gyms where the rule is no bare abs for men or women, so guys can't take their shirts off and girls can't work out I sports bras. 

It sounds like US military culture has become a lot more like the rest of the puritanical towel dancing American culture.  

Witnessed a towel dance today!

Your story reminds me of when I was a youth counselor in Sweden at a confirmation camp for coed 14 year olds.  One of the first "ice breaker" games was to break up into teams and see what team could make the longest line of clothes.  Soon everyone was in their underwear and didn't seem to think much of it.  One kid was from a Swedish missionary family in Africa, which is very modest with clothes, and he was mortified.  The other kids encouraged him and eventually he took his shirt off.  Yes this was a church camp and I was very aware that I was not in the US.  

I used to dread shirts vs skins basketball as a kid, but now the only way I would play on the condition that am on the skins team every time

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion They Who Shall Not Be Named in the group The Great Debate
32 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion They Who Shall Not Be Named in the group The Great Debate
"I can't even draw decent stick figures."
2 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion They Who Shall Not Be Named in the group The Great Debate
"Are you secretly Scott Adams? That ties in with his take on "violent rhetoric.""
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion They Who Shall Not Be Named in the group The Great Debate
"Yeah. It's funny because stormweenies call him a "kike puppet"."
2 hours ago
"AntiFa is defended because they think racism is an ultimate evil. Ultimate evils are defeated BAMN."
2 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Native, it wasn't that Confederates were considered soldiers. The law made them eligible for the same monetary veteran benefits like pensions as their US counterparts. Since all CSA vets were deceased at that point, it was more of a measure for…"
2 hours ago
"I just realized why antifa is being defended on here. Because the head of the centipede is defending them. GIGA"
2 hours ago
"Did you see Huffington call Bannon a goy?"
2 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service