Do kids still play shirts vs. skins in school or pick me up basketball?  I saw a website called shirtsvsskins.org and it had no pix of bare-chested players. In eight grade we played that way and I remember being shocked to see chest hairs on one more mature boy.  But that was the 70's.   I can imagine that in today's world it may be considered harassment to force a boy to take his shirt off. What are your experiences? 

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

Pick-up basketball, yes -- at the Y and on outdoor courts, but not in military gyms where the rule is no bare abs for men or women, so guys can't take their shirts off and girls can't work out I sports bras. 

It sounds like US military culture has become a lot more like the rest of the puritanical towel dancing American culture.  

Witnessed a towel dance today!

The first time I ever experienced playing shirts and skins was in gym class in 8th grade back in 1973. I had just started going to this school and had previously gone to school in Brooklyn where we never had that in gym class. At my new school that particular day we were playing basketball indoors and I was selected to be on the skins team. When we were told to take off our shirts I was absolutely mortified to do this in front of other people. I was a very shy kid at 14 years old and to me this was so humiliating. I have never forgotten that incident after all these years. Now as an adult I am proud of my body and would feel very comfortable being on the skins team if I were playing sports with other guys especially outdoors in the summer on a hot sunny day. 

Your story reminds me of when I was a youth counselor in Sweden at a confirmation camp for coed 14 year olds.  One of the first "ice breaker" games was to break up into teams and see what team could make the longest line of clothes.  Soon everyone was in their underwear and didn't seem to think much of it.  One kid was from a Swedish missionary family in Africa, which is very modest with clothes, and he was mortified.  The other kids encouraged him and eventually he took his shirt off.  Yes this was a church camp and I was very aware that I was not in the US.  

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D replied to Nick H's discussion Has AOM jumped the shark or is it's just cyclical in the group The Great Debate
"The reason why we have a government is that we can go home after work and watch ESPN highlights. We delegated the governing of our country's to our elected officials, because we have other things to do. If out elected officials fail to deliver…"
36 minutes ago
Ameretta replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"My apologies for being an inconvenience to you..sike, but on a serious note your statement is a  lie because this issue started long before I came on here. I don't know why you think it's so easy to dismiss this as a perception issue…"
1 hour ago
J. Exalto replied to Sir's discussion The cotton ceiling and other subtleties in the group The Great Debate
"Well I am exclusively (sexually) attracted to a very specific type of guy, which happens to be the type of guy that pretty much describes every guy in the place I grew up (which happens to be almost entirely white).  So I think upbringing…"
1 hour ago
Eric W replied to Skyler G. H. Reep's discussion Interview Attire for Kayaking Guide?
"I would've worn my red puffy vest over a shirt as I'm sure it could pass as a life preserver - shows a concern for aquatic safety."
5 hours ago
Eric W replied to Eric W's discussion Gilets, Bodywarmers & Down Vests
"I'm not gonna ditch my vests, I like wearing them and wear them more than most of my other types of clothes :P I was more looking for suggestions on what other people wear with them."
6 hours ago
Sir replied to Nick H's discussion Has AOM jumped the shark or is it's just cyclical in the group The Great Debate
"I would like to have some info on that too, because I suspect it has."
7 hours ago
Tom Imbach joined Frost's group
Thumbnail

Ian Flemming

Many have seen the movies. But do you know the author behind James Bond.See More
9 hours ago
Tom Imbach joined Wil Harper's group
Thumbnail

Scotch Connoisseurs

A place to discuss scotch and all that goes along with it.
9 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service