I have been to parties at friends houses in the summer, outdoors, usually on a hot and sunny day. I notice that after a while some of the men take off their shirts when they are having conversation with the other guests while standing or sitting on chairs. They seem very comfortable and relaxed doing this. Some of the men remain fully clothed including myself. I have always been very modest and shy about being bare chested in groups of people, especially if it's a mixed group of men and women. If there were only men at the party I would feel more comfortable taking off my shirt like the other men do. Am I the only guy who feels this way and how do I overcome my shyness to be bare chested? I am on the thin side at 6 ft tall and 150 lbs so I think that I am in good shape to go without a shirt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay 

Views: 478

Replies to This Discussion

Evidently most American men and boys go through similar trials, but doesn't anyone ever go swimming?  Surely men don't wear shirts any longer, when swimming, like they did circa 1900.

I declared independence the day after graduating from 8th grade, when I went for a long, solitary hike out onto the prairie.   When I came to a stream and a pool, I stripped down, completely naked, and dove in, head-first.

Taking off a shirt anywhere has never been a problem since.

So ... I'd recommend that every man who feels self-conscious about disrobing should begin by going somewhere solitary ... somewhere he can feel comfortable enough to take off not only his shirt, but his shoes, socks, pants, and underclothing, too .... everything ... and then getting on with life.

Rood

Definitely agree on this one. My first shirtless experiences were being in a place where I can be alone - in my room, or hiking and there is no one else around. Next step perhaps would be in a place where there would be 2 of you, preferably male - could be a close mate while having a casual drink at your house, or a basketball buddy playing 1 on 1. Something like that.

You don't need to be embarrassed to go without a shirt.how about adopting a permanent shirtless lifestyle like I did?

I have felt this way before, I reckon that the best approach is to actually do it, it feels better once I discovered nothing actually happens once the shirt is off.

To echo the others if the situation is shirtless appropriate just go for it. And that goes double if you see someone else has already taken off their shirt. In that case being shirtless is a bigger issue in your mind than it is to anyone else. It gets easier once you've done it for the first time.

Plus your host or hostess will likely tell you if it's not okay.  As an example, at the Y yesterday, one guy in the boxing room had his shirt off.  An employee came by, said hello, and left.  If that weren't okay, I'm sure he would have said something. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Not really but ok"
3 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Actually, southern statues are dropping left and right. "
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"And they've already clumsily given away their endgame. Look at the links I posted in this thread. And there's also this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kkkby/lets-get-rid-of-mount-rushmore I have screenshot proof that original title…"
3 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"This is the video I was trying to show in the previous post:  "
4 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Yes. They are history (if they are old) and celebrations. I find it horrific that we're now getting into making rationales for destroying art. Like this:  memorials to the Pharaohs, self-aggrandizing hierarchs who used massive amounts of…"
4 hours ago
Daniel Rodriguez replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Political violence isn't new to the US or the modern world. Italy had the years of lead - we're nowhere near that. The UK has a strong Antifa counter culture - they're not losing anything for it. The only reason the US goes…"
6 hours ago
Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
8 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"In regard to Confederate memorials, perhaps Robert E. Lee's response to an invitation to mark Gettysburg with monuments is pertinent (emphasis my own): Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the…"
8 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service