I have always wanted to get a kilt.  However, I am of German descent, and until now have only seen traditional kilts presented as menswear for those who are Scottish.  What do you all think of non-Scots wearing a kilt?  Does it disrespect your history?  I don't want a bastard kilt/cargo-pant like the Utilikilt.  Am I kosher to buy and wear a kilt, in your opinion?  Hoping to start discussion.

Views: 2652

Replies to This Discussion

I am of Scottish descent and I see no reason other people cannot enjoy the kilt. There are many inventions that are Scottish that people enjoy every day, so why not the kilt? The Irish also wore kilts. There are also several tartans that are more or less generic that can be wore by anyone with any surname. Black Watch is one example of this. One of the most inclusive websites that cater to all things tartan is Scotweb: http://www.scotweb.co.uk/. They may seem a bit pricey, but their products are top shelf and their service is first rate. You can also design your own tartan and they will weave it!
I agree with Mark. I see no problem with non-scots wearing a kilt as long as you choose a universal tartan.
Being an Irish American and a kilt wearer I'd see no problem and actually encourage you! Just be mindful of what you're wearing. The Irish don't have family tartans per se so the Irish National is popular in The States. As the others have said there are tartans you can certainly wear without being offensive. If tartan is your thing that's great, but there are many modern kilts available today that are not made from camo and are very functional and comfortable. Some of the nicest formal kilts I've seen recently are cut from the same cloth as your finest of traditional suits. And there are many casual options available as well. Personally I wear both a formal tartan w/ sporran, coat and tie when appropriate but it's frankly too formal and expensive to just kick around in on the weekends. That's when I wear my casual monotone mugs with pockets. The whole thing about making the choice to wear the kilt is that's it's YOUR CHOICE. Just be respectful where names are directly associated and you'll be fine. Enjoy the freedom brother!
I'm both Irish and Scottish and I say, "Wear whatever you like." Do you feel the need to justify to yourself your "right" to wear a specific family tartan? Do some genealogical research. You may be surprised at what you find. I was also told that I was "all German", and didn't uncover the truth about my Celtic roots until I did my own investigating.

Follow this link, and you will find two registered German tartans: German-American and German Heritage tartans. There's also an American Heritage tartan.

The tartan I prefer, even though I bear the "right" to wear them of specific clans, is the St. Patrick's tartan. I wear it to honor the memory of the great saint who didn't just bring the gospel to Ireland, but also brought an end to slavery, equality for women and the end to almost all tribal warfare.

My take on the whole thing, though, is that you don't need a "right" to wear a specific tartan. If you see one you like, get it. However, you should also know about the clan it represents. What was their motto and history (the broad overview)? Be prepared to answer a question from a member of that clan about your affiliation with, "Actually, I'm not of that clan, but I'm proud to honor their tradition by wearing this kilt."

Enjoy the freedom. You're jewels will never be happier than when in a kilt.

I'm also a fan of some of the Armed Forces tartans I've seen on various sites (while I've not had the honor of serving my country myself, I have considered on occasion getting the Navy tartan to honor my grandfather's service), as well as the Clergy tartan. 

There's mostly a tartan for everything. I've even seen a bright pink Breast Cancer Awareness tartan!

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to wear a kilt. I just don't really see the appeal of a kilt to people who aren't Scottish etc in some way. I wear a kilt to formal events because, well, I'm Scottish but that's my entire excuse ;).

Don't rush out and buy a kilt just yet. Try and rent one first. It'll cost you £60-£70 or so for an event whereas a decent kilt to buy will be the best bit of a grand. You can get cheaper kilts but because most of the cost of a kilt is in the material (they're several metres of thick, wool cloth) you lose quality very quickly when you go down market.
I think you're perfectly entitled to wear a kilt, but not any tartan. Like jackets for military or social identification, some are tartans are reserved. The Irish tartans are relatively modern and organized by county and other non-family identification. Plenty of American and Canadian non-family tartans to choose from too. And of course solid colors.
It's a garment not a costume, of course you can wear a kilt.
Stillwater Kilts is a great place to get started.
Pay no mind to the "Tartan Police" that is total BS. Pick a tartan you like and wear it respectfully.
Anyone can wear any kilt they want. Entitlement, or the "right" of people to wear only the tartan of their family, is a myth. That being said, if you're going to wear a clan tartan, know what you're wearing and treat it with respect. There are also plenty on fantastic-looking non-clan tartans for countries, US states, Irish counties, armed forces, organizations, the list goes on. So if you're concerned about offending anyone because you're wearing a family tartan of a family you don't belong to, you still have plenty of options.
Great answer Sir...Well Done
In the Clan system, you could be adopted into the clan. So if you feel like it, go for it and be welcome. I agree that you should know what you are wearing and be respectful of that. They even have tartans for cities and branches of the military so find one you like and wear it proudly.
I would think it a great honor that you would choose to wear my tartan, those who are for us cannot be against us. I wear the priest or Clergy tartan myself...Slainte....Dan P.S. Real Men don't wear pants.

RSS

Latest Activity

Nick H replied to Matt's discussion Attacked by Feminists
"When a university holds a "discussion" on issues like oncampus rape and gender issues, remember that it's probably more of a lecture. By countering the argument all you did was give them the patsy to justify their argument and a…"
12 minutes ago
Nick H replied to John Moser's discussion Having discovered why The Odyssey is so poorly written, I now know of a new skill we must recover!
"That's my father's favourite poem."
27 minutes ago
Dan D replied to John Muir's discussion Alibaba IPO
"Company evaluation at $223 billion, um that's 26 times over last years sales and Alibaba doesn't keep any of that money. It's a pay-pal business model with revenues far less than US rivals. According to BBC, Alibaba's revenues…"
1 hour ago
Joshua Scheide replied to John Muir's discussion Folk Songs
"Thanks for starting this John Muir - I've been enjoying listening to all the responses. It's also making me curious if there are contemporary (or semi-contemporary, I guess) songs floating around today that most folks don't realize…"
2 hours ago
Native Son commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"Durned punk kids.  Get off my lawn!"
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to John Moser's discussion Having discovered why The Odyssey is so poorly written, I now know of a new skill we must recover!
""...The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, was that night on the marge of Lake Labarge,..." "
4 hours ago
Will replied to Jim Gratner's discussion Divorce and Annulments in the group Catholic Men
"I feel for you.  I'm surprised it costs money; this seems wrong to me."
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Tim's discussion Male vanity.
"Bit of a stretch to consider it male vanity. Why does it bother you?"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service