Hello, fellow bravehearts!

It is the middle of January. Temperatures here in northern Arkansas are ranging from 20 to 50 degrees. No snow, but plenty of ice constantly melting and refreezing. From the cold arises a few challenges. I love wearing kilts. The only times I don't wear them is when it's very cold (like now), or when I don't want to deal with all the attention and looks a kilted guy gets from the unkilted (which is practically everyone around my area). The latter I can deal with myself, but I've been trying to figure ways to beat the cold in a kilt so I could don them more often this time of year. I know that wool kilts are a whole lot better for winter wear, but I don't have that much money to blow. So, do any of you have any tips to wearing a kilt in winter and still remaining comfortable? 

Views: 875

Replies to This Discussion

I just wore a kilt to my last day of finals this morning. We live in a canyon in the sticks so it gets pretty chilly out here. Yet another frosty morning, and I got just a wee bit cold where folks don't like being cold on my way there. Wasn't even a wool kilt, sadly, went in my sporkilt. My recommendation is you might have to wear something under it, and get some good quality hose. If you don't want to wear anything under it, then keep your eyes peeled for a cheap wool one, those keep things under control (I can say this from experience). Last I recall, I think Stillwater kilts had a couple wool selections for a decent price, just over $100. I'm sure the shipping would add a bit, but it's still fair considering. I don't really know of any other options, but enjoy the freedom. Actually feels downright nice in chilly weather, to me.

One of my problems may be with the hose, all I got is the cheap 8 dollar one off Sportkilt. Looks nice, but the fabric is pretty thin.

Have you ordered from Stillwater? If so, how do their products compare to Sportkilt?

Aye, the hose do make quite a difference. The heavy wool ones can be uncomfortable at times, but they'll be warm. I'm not sure where one can find a good deal on those ones, but shouldn't be too hard to locate a decent pair. As for Stillwater, I cannot say that I have ordered from them, but I've heard some positive reviews before. They don't have a very wide selection of tartans, but what they do have seems well made. The sizing systems seem like they may be a bit tricky, it looks like they only have you give the waist size at your navel, and I don't see anything about length... Cheap wool or wool based is the way to go, just keep it to snowy weather since they're a pain to clean, of course. I also seem to remember something about a leather Utilikilt, but that's got to be pricey...

yes, that is a drawback of Stillwater.  they *only* have one length to choose from.  24 inches.  that's it.  so for someone like me who is only 5ft 7in and i have short legs... i would have to wear a Stillwater either high on the waist or let it hang below the knees.  but to their credit, this is how they keep the prices low, and the 24 inch standard is a middle of the road average for most men.

I have long legs, so the 24 inches won't be a problem for me. Thank you.

wear long-johns under it...

OH MY DEAR HEAVENS NO!!!

do NOT wear long-johns under a kilt... it's quite ridiculous looking.  trust me, this topic pops up on kilt-wearing-forums and the overwhelming majority find the idea atrocious.

i'm kilted full-time.  been that way for 5 years now here in central NC.  this winter our temps have gone down to low 20's, lowest high's in the 30's.  but we do get winter highs up to low 70's.  (it wasn't always like that in this state, i swear it's global warming)

for me i don't spend enough time outdoors between the store and the car or work and the car or church, bar, etc.  i also tolerate cold well.  but as has been said, go heavy to stay warm.  if you can't afford a traditional $500 wool kilt, there are fake wool and cheap wool kilts out there.  even my UtiliKilts are heavy enough to block wind.  Stillwater kilts are warm too, not sure if they have wool, they might, but they are known for their fake wool that is acrylic based.  they feel like blankets.  i don't recommend Sportkilts, they are meant to staying cool when working out and throwing heavy objects.

if you don't want to get the traditional knee length hose (those will help alot) then at least just wear some good wool hiking socks.  if you keep your feet warm, your head warm, and the trunk of your body warm, over all you'll be fine anyway unless you plan on spending hours outside.

Thank you for your suggestions. All the kilts I own up to this point are Sportkilts and one cheap, discontinued hiking kilt which is great for getting dirty. But, I'm saving my spending money up for that survival kilt from Utilikilts. It sounds neat. 

As you can see from my avatar pic, I do wear my kils in winter here in reno. The kilt in the pic is a 2000-2001 UK workmns, I wear good warm hose and a jacket..everything thing else stays pretty warm

Peace and I did many summers in Hector AK and the surrounds

PIper

Greetings from N.E. Arkansas. I know what you mean about the looks you get while wearing the kilt! I haven't worn mine(I only have two at this time) when it's cold. I want to have more sometime hopefully soon. I guess I'll get 1 or 2 wool ones for cold weather wear. Good to see someone else from Arkansas on here!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John White replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"this is about men who take great pleasure in bashing men thinking all men are the same. "
1 hour ago
Bryan Maloney replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"God can meet you as far as you can go. There is a Jewish story of a man who wrote to his father saying that he could not make it all the way to him. His father replied that the son should go as far as he could, and his father would meet him there."
1 hour ago
Bryan Maloney replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"Read more than one. Avoid paraphrases, though. Most paraphrases do note what they are. Each translation is a product of people with some agenda or another."
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Actually, before Tony Wolf and I diverted ourselves about the word "Bohemian", what you are describing is a sort of gentlemen's (or not quite gentlemen) club. a social gathering group for people with a common set of interests.…"
1 hour ago
Edward Longshanks commented on Ian Wilson's group Out to Build Bridges
"Physically I feel a lot better having ,finally found the courage to come out of the closet to people. First night on AofM I outed myself in my status, and I am glad I finally outed myself to my best friend and my high school classmates"
2 hours ago
Nathanael replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Poor Will, with his illusions of being happily married."
3 hours ago
Jeremy posted a photo
4 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"boy scouts, 4H, FFA, Orderof Demolay, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service