Information

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.

Members: 1981
Latest Activity: 20 minutes ago

Discussion Forum

Nevada Ranch War ...

Started by Jack Bauer. Last reply by Andrew D, USA Ret 20 minutes ago. 322 Replies

Anybody been following the "Range War" in Nevada?  The whole thing reads like a fairly entertaining western movie. As I understand it, the Bundy family has used State land for cattle-grazing purposes…Continue

Obama's Press Secretary decorates his home with Soviet Propaganda!

Started by Andrew D, USA Ret. Last reply by Regular Joe yesterday. 60 Replies

Here's the purported evidence and article that exposes it:…Continue

Voter Scrutiny-- What's the Hangup?

Started by Pale Horse. Last reply by Shane yesterday. 50 Replies

When I was watching the news today, they were talking about Bill O'Reilly's take on better voter scrutiny. Apparently people are saying that having a picture on your social security card violates…Continue

Tags: Privacy, Discrimination, Minorities, Voting, Voter

Guns and violence

Started by Nick H. Last reply by Regular Joe Apr 11. 5 Replies

I saw a recent joke post made by a blogger who theorised which Canadian City would best survive a zombie invasion.…Continue

Political Compass Test

Started by Ben. Last reply by Pale Horse Apr 10. 107 Replies

Take the Test HereWas shown this political social/economic test that places you on a four-way axis, opposites being…Continue

Letter From a Survivor of the Fort Hood Massacre

Started by Andrew D, USA Ret. Last reply by Wayne Apr 10. 4 Replies

In my opinion, the letter below from First LT Patrick Cook cannot be improved upon.  It says it all and I am in total support of his conclusions.…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of The Great Debate to add comments!

Comment by Titus Techera on January 31, 2014 at 11:26am

'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.'

That's one of the contenders for best opening to a novel. Jane Austen is also a contender for best novelist. I wonder if there are any others so much more popular with women than men.

Comment by Will on January 31, 2014 at 10:00am

Good luck with that.

No, more precisely:  give it up.  In meatspace, often the way real men deal with conflict is denial, avoidance, talking behind the other's back, blackballing, and explosions.  We aren't as good as we'd like to think.  

On Internet, the only things I know that work are a) ignoring the problem (almost always works) and b) reporting the post; but that's for extreme circumstances.  OK, in rare circumstances, c) persuasion -- but that works on people that aren't angry with you already.

I suggest you let it go.  This won't go anywhere -- I'm certain of it.  In a perfect world, maybe.

Comment by Pale Horse on January 31, 2014 at 9:30am

Okay, listen. I haven't the foggiest idea of what I did to invoke yours or Lucius' wrath, but we can work it out like men instead of trolling. So what's your beef?

Comment by Native Son on January 31, 2014 at 9:02am

Of course, there's the old "gentlemanly" practice of cutting him dead, aka blackballing him.  Ignoring someone whose posts apparently attempt to simultaneously engage and enrage you seems to work.  

Comment by Steve Dallas on January 31, 2014 at 8:27am

This is about as stupid as the Jane Austin shit my wife watches.

Comment by John Lee Pettimore on January 31, 2014 at 6:23am

@ Lucius: 

Now you have to ask yourself is it possible that John Lee Pettimore is another of JeD's alts. Now he's using JLM and PH at the same time after retiring JeD.

@PH: 

"tl;dr" has been around since before you weren't even a twinkle in your daddy's eye. JeD didn't originate it. Likewise with "sack up".

Your obsession with JeD is troubling. Unless you really are him, of course. In that case he's doing a masterful job of separating the two characters. PH is a much less interesting alt than JeD was.

Comment by John Lee Pettimore on January 31, 2014 at 6:16am

@Lucius:

The other possibility is that PH is an alt of JeD. JeD was just devious enough to pull that off. Of course it's difficult to portray a character like PH without violating Kirk Lazarus' advice.

Also possible that 100 pounds of yeast gave John lee some visons...

I don't think it was the yeast. If anything it might have been the liquid dripping from the copper line...

Comment by Chuck Knight on January 31, 2014 at 12:37am

You forgot another possibility, Lucius.  I have real life friends who also have AoM accounts.  It's possible to communicate using this old-fashioned sound-based system that predates the internet.  They used to call it talking to one another.

Comment by Lucius Artorius Castus on January 31, 2014 at 12:07am

"You couldn't know as much as you do without his telling you, but alas, you're account was made Thursday. "

Of course from the outside theres always the possiblity your 130 IQ is argueing with itself for attention.... 

Theres also the possibility that, like myself on many forums I frequent, he was lurking until something needed to be said...

Also its possible that another forum member saw what was missing and created a new persona to bring back what was missing from the site after your childish puppy following convinced JeD to leave, but didnt want to ruin their actual reputation on the site.

Also possible that 100 pounds of yeast gave John lee some visons...

Comment by Native Son on January 30, 2014 at 11:13pm

"Methinks he doth protest too much."

Members (1980)

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"Seems to me like the kids in that documentary are being told to go somewhere without being told the way."
11 minutes ago
Augustin replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up!
"Who me?"
13 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up!
"Not sure if troll..."
13 minutes ago
Augustin posted a discussion

The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to be a man!

There is a film coming out this year called "The Mask You live in". It is going to explore masculinity in the USA.It will discuss this danger of telling boys such as "be a man" or "man up". This will lead to boys growing up keeping their emotions inside and eventually develop behavioral problems.I'm not sure what to make of all this at all so I haven't really formed a solid opinion yet.This trailer will explain it better than I:(Website: …See More
16 minutes ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Jack Bauer's discussion Nevada Ranch War ... in the group The Great Debate
"S. Dallas: "So your answer to me saying that there is no forest is to change the metaphor to one of sheep and wolves and sheepdogs in hopes to maybe win that one since this one turned to shit on you, forgetting that I called you out on that one…"
20 minutes ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Jack Bauer's discussion Nevada Ranch War ... in the group The Great Debate
"Liam S: "Does believing yourself to be a patriot, make you one? Or is that job relegated to the hindsight and the history books?" Good question, Liam.  As I know you are fully aware, history tends to be written by the victors who…"
34 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Jack Bauer's discussion Nevada Ranch War ... in the group The Great Debate
"http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/04/16/why-is-us-senator-harry-reid-so-concerned-with-local-nevada-rancher/ Here, Liam. Of course this doesn't give him an excuse, but I agree with the author that there is more to this. Theu don't just…"
38 minutes ago
Southwind1948 joined Raj's group
Thumbnail

History Buffs

A place for history buffs to discuss historical issues and expand the knowledge of our past. Whether your into US history, European history, African history, or any other, come join us!See More
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service