Information

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.

Members: 2001
Latest Activity: 5 minutes ago

Discussion Forum

Moral relativism

Started by Will. Last reply by Nathanael 5 minutes ago. 35 Replies

I like to post my answers in a thread, to our topical discussions; so I'll put my thoughts here, and invite others to do the same.  The topic, I believe, is moral relativism.The part I want to…Continue

Overzealous Violence and Mob Justice

Started by Pale Horse. Last reply by Shane 43 minutes ago. 79 Replies

More violence and vandalism occurred in Furguson on Friday. New information has been released involving the person shot: He had just strongarm-robbed a store for some cigars, making him not the angel…Continue

Another chance to talk about good & evil

Started by Titus Techera. Last reply by Steve Dallas 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

I am thrilled to see that good & evil are with us in speech. Whether they are real or imaginations is a connected question that mere speechifying cannot settle, however. Let's continue it, with…Continue

Iraqi genocide

Started by Will. Last reply by George A. Trosper 1 hour ago. 31 Replies

I know the sun will sooner set in the east than Democrats agree to boots on the ground to stop these atrocities (of which the systematic beheading of children is the most recent installment)... but…Continue

...after Texas Red

Started by Titus Techera. Last reply by Titus Techera 5 hours ago. 19 Replies

So Rick Perry is accused of doing the political naughty with the justice system? The NR…Continue

Changing your mind

Started by Will. Last reply by Pale Horse yesterday. 125 Replies

I have recently seen this Carl Sagan quote, most recently offered approvingly in the book When Can You Trust the Experts?:In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really…Continue

Running thread on enthusiasm for the law

Started by Titus Techera. Last reply by Titus Techera on Saturday. 26 Replies

This is the sort of story I learnt to look for because of Mr. Steyn. I am not entirely grateful; I suspect it's a bad habit. Anyway, some girl bought water, seven agents thought it was beer, for…Continue

Israel v. Hamas

Started by Will. Last reply by Will on Friday. 35 Replies

I can only find opinion pieces. But what I can find says that the administration is insisting (with an attempt to get the UN to assist) in an immediate unconditional ceasefire, including Israel…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of The Great Debate to add comments!

Comment by John Lee Pettimore on January 31, 2014 at 6:16am

@Lucius:

The other possibility is that PH is an alt of JeD. JeD was just devious enough to pull that off. Of course it's difficult to portray a character like PH without violating Kirk Lazarus' advice.

Also possible that 100 pounds of yeast gave John lee some visons...

I don't think it was the yeast. If anything it might have been the liquid dripping from the copper line...

Comment by Chuck Knight on January 31, 2014 at 12:37am

You forgot another possibility, Lucius.  I have real life friends who also have AoM accounts.  It's possible to communicate using this old-fashioned sound-based system that predates the internet.  They used to call it talking to one another.

Comment by Lucius Artorius Castus on January 31, 2014 at 12:07am

"You couldn't know as much as you do without his telling you, but alas, you're account was made Thursday. "

Of course from the outside theres always the possiblity your 130 IQ is argueing with itself for attention.... 

Theres also the possibility that, like myself on many forums I frequent, he was lurking until something needed to be said...

Also its possible that another forum member saw what was missing and created a new persona to bring back what was missing from the site after your childish puppy following convinced JeD to leave, but didnt want to ruin their actual reputation on the site.

Also possible that 100 pounds of yeast gave John lee some visons...

Comment by Native Son on January 30, 2014 at 11:13pm

"Methinks he doth protest too much."

Comment by Pale Horse on January 30, 2014 at 12:22pm

1. As I stated before, he didn't tell me to stop. I got a message from Brett asking me to stop, but it was after a while. After that I did stop.

2. What lines or sayings?? Really, it must have been subconscious, because I don't remember copying him. You're the one saying "tl;dr. Sack up."

I'm pretty sure you're JeD now. You couldn't know as much as you do without his telling you, but alas, you're account was made Thursday. 

Comment by John Lee Pettimore on January 29, 2014 at 11:35am

Stalking is in the eye of the beholder. The fact that you continued to pvt msg JeD after he asked you to stop several times seems stalker-ish to me. Stealing his lines/sayings was just creepy.

Comment by Pale Horse on January 28, 2014 at 9:05pm

I was defending myself, Shields. He made a direct jab at me. Now let's be big boys and end this right now, 'kay?

I did miss his epic meme knowledge, Nate. That Blazing Saddles one was gold.

Comment by Steve Dallas on January 28, 2014 at 8:57pm

Keep the shit elsewhere Pale Horse, we don't give a damn

Comment by Nate Thallas on January 28, 2014 at 8:56pm

This is a grave day indeed... I can try to keep up the snark in his honor, but who will post the hilarious images and clips? And now, a moment of silence.

Comment by Pale Horse on January 28, 2014 at 8:55pm

I'm going to let the insinuation that I lied go, but I did NOT stalk him. When a fifty year old man acts like a kindergartner, he will blow up things. I only tried apologizing to him a few times about a mean comment I made. I did it more than once because he never responded, so I finally told him that I would just let it go. He did not tell me to leave him alone because he was too busy giving me the silent treatment a la estrogen. And what exactly did you hope to accomplish by starting this? Grow up.

Members (2001)

Latest Activity

Nathanael replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"I've spent some time with Heidegger, but find Gadamer superior for my purposes for several reasons. 1.  Gadamer didn't go full Nazi.  If virtue is not irrelevant to moral and philosophical inquiry, that matters. 2.  Gadamer…"
5 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"Dumb people aren't really the point.  Nor is "what we see as moral".  Wrong is wrong, whether we see it or not ... and whether its illegal or not.JB"
10 minutes ago
Jay D replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"yes"
16 minutes ago
Will replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"It's more Socratic than that -- or so I hope.  In that I am asking posters to decide what they think (with me going first, saying what I think), giving enough detail we can see if it's consistent."
20 minutes ago
Vanquish Guy joined Colton Wilson's group
Thumbnail

Boyhood Restored

I believe that boys should use their time primarily to prepare for manhood. This group is for young men, dads, and other men who have opinions they'd like to share on how boys should grow up or be raised.
22 minutes ago
Will replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"Why would it be nice if things like preservation of human dignity were unique (I assume you mean uniquely honored, universally accepted) moral rights?"
22 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"Oh, I agree that the Enlightenment is a large part of the problem.  In this case, it impedes the development (or reclamation) of alternatives to moral relativism.  But you know my intellectual influences, MacIntyre and Gadamer in…"
22 minutes ago
Steve Dallas commented on Herb Munson's group The Great Debate
"And if God doesn't exist?"
22 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service