This is a genuine question from an Englishman who doesn't keep up with the news a great deal. The readers of AoM seem, on the whole, anti-Obama. Why? His praises are sung pretty often here in Europe. 

Views: 2817

Replies to This Discussion

Obama is praised in Europe because he does what is good for Europe and cares about what Europe wants. The same is not true regarding the USA.

Can you clarify why you say that?  I'm not seeing how Obama's policies benefit Europe.

I can think of two ways. One, by having the fed print 18 billion a month he's made investing in the EU an actual wise option. Once the USA finally turns off the money tap, that big whooshing sound you'll hear will be the tons of foreign dollars crossing the Atlantic, pushing the overregulated, overvalued EU back into recession. And two, with Obama's endless dallying and awaiting UN support on foreign intervention in places like Syria, Obama makes the normally indecisive EU look proactive.

May I second your opinion? May I also add that Mr. Obama looks weaker every time something happens--he was dragged into war in Libya, protesting every step of the way, It's not war!, by European opinions--he was stopped from going to war in Syria by European opinions, again, protesting that it's not war, anyway--& it seems like whatever disaster is next, he's going to go through the motions again...

I'd say that the only reasons the President didn't authorize "surgical strikes" in Syria are:

1.  After 12 years of military involvement in the Middle East, Congress had the political will to say, enough. 

2.  Not so much European opinion about the idea, but RUSSIAN opposition to air strikes hitting a client state. 

3.  Simple political economics, in a time of domestic fiscal retrenchment, the government simply can't afford to fully fund both guns and butter.

I'm just relieved he didn't..

Regarding your first point, really, it's a question--how many unbelievably small strikes can you balance on top of public & Congressional disapproval?--The answer is, Mr. Obama is officially the weakest president since Carter; I believe he will soon outdo him & then JFK, too. Other feeble leaders will look at him, astounded.

I agree with your second point.

Your third, too. Syria simply does not have the appeal Libya had. Liberals apparently only pick on the smallest, slightest stuff.

Syria used chemical weapons. A pretty much international no-no since the end of wwi and the response from the USA was...zilch.

Obama keeps getting compared to carter but I think a better one would be Wilson.

At least liberalism was still a fighting faith back then...

I don't think that's to Europe's benefit.  Making EU look proactive may be good for Eurocrat careers, but not for Europe.  Bankrupting the US, as Nick says, is going to cause economic disaster for everyone.

The longer I live here the more I'm convinced Eurocrats and the EU couldn't care what was good for Europe.

Yeah, well, if people stopped making trouble for the bureaucrats, things would go according to plan...

RSS

Latest Activity

Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"True about the 'not norm' thing, Rowe has made a decent living doing something that he apparently likes even though it was not his original passion.  I think that happens quite often when we find out that our passions won't pay…"
9 minutes ago
Grecia E. G. replied to Grecia E. G.'s discussion Teddy and the Spanish American War. in the group Teddy Roosevelt Appreciators
"Thanks! I'm excited to give that podcast a listen!"
11 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Nathan Kemp's discussion How to teach sportsmanship in the group Fathers and Sons
"He'll get over it.  You'll get over it. He's five, and this comes with the territory. First question, where's the coach?  A kid who's throwing a tantrum because his team is losing needs to be benched.  No…"
12 minutes ago
Lee Hutch joined Slacker's group
Thumbnail

Writers

A place for writers to discuss and critique projects.
13 minutes ago
David F. replied to David F.'s discussion Civilization Restart Garden
"Yep I know it is hard.  I have to say this months Nat Geo has a great article on the two differing methods of GMO plant production and our advances in food crop production."
13 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"Although a little bit of insanity helps I think Josh has crossed the line, several times."
14 minutes ago
Profile IconLee Hutch and Grecia E. G. joined Raj's group
Thumbnail

History Buffs

A place for history buffs to discuss historical issues and expand the knowledge of our past. Whether your into US history, European history, African history, or any other, come join us!See More
15 minutes ago
"It's most likely not a burning desire it's more likely a constant itch (y palm)."
15 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service