Syria allegedly gasses civilians. We blow up the airfield from which the gas attacks were launched. Syria says that if we continue, they'll attack Israel, and Russia denounces our attack. Let's talk about this.

Views: 712

Replies to This Discussion

Can you substantiate that?

Arguably, if he was really concerned about the wellbeing of Syrian children, he would allow them refugee status in the US. 

False dichotomy.

I don't know if you're responding to me, PH, but it seems to me that if he was sympathetic to the plight of Syrian children, he would want them to have refugee status, which very immediately and tangibly would improve their lives.

Trump instead bombed an airfield out of concern for children. The bombing of this airfield has not done anything to immediately and tangibly improve the lives of Syrian children suffering under Assad. It hasn't even stopped operations at that airbase. It hasn't destroyed chemical weapons. It probably hasn't destroyed much in the way of military capabilities to deliver those chemical weapons.

So Shane's right, it's a false dichotomy.

More properly "false dilemma". But, since the logic definition of "dichotomy" creates polar opposites, "false dichotomy" works as well.

Sure. He either absolutely cares and will do whatever it takes to show it, or he doesn't give a flying frick and is ebil. 

Tip for debaters everywhere:  your misspellings don't make _other_ people look dumb.

No it's not. Trump claims to be concerned about Syrian children. Trump does something that doesn't benefit Syrian children (ineffectively bomb airfield). Trump specifically attempts to block something that would benefit Syrian children (refugee status). On the basis of his actions, one cannot conclude that Trump is genuinely interested in the welfare of Syrian children.

And neither can you conclude that his concern is disingenuous. You have substantiated nothing because you have the idiot premise that the only way we can help the Syrians is by letting them come here. It's an especially stupid notion because I have seen Syrians express gratitude for Trump's actions.

Having Syrians come to the US as refugees is not the only way to help them, but it is one way. It's a pretty direct way. It's an easily-provided way. So yes, I think that when Trump uses a non-solution to a problem he professes to care about and specifically tries to deny use of a solution, he undercuts the authenticity of the care that he professes.

RSS

Latest Activity

Poe Dameron left a comment for Dustenious Treightonius
"Welcome To AofM!"
31 minutes ago
Poe Dameron left a comment for Cletus Rothschild
"I'm shirtless as frequently as you are"
1 hour ago
Poe Dameron replied to Cletus Rothschild's discussion I Am What I Am And I Do What I Do in the group The Shirtless Man
"I don't even bother with a shirt when I mow the lawn. I'm getting more comfortable with Peolle seeing me with my shirt off and no longer worry about what they think. It's just a lot more comfortable. I always make it a point to take…"
1 hour ago
David Arbogast replied to Cletus Rothschild's discussion I Am What I Am And I Do What I Do in the group The Shirtless Man
"Your story is not unlike my own.  My father also grew up in extreme poverty in the 1930's in Kansas so going shirtless was perfectly normal.  When I was young we did not have air-conditioning so going shirtless in summer was the best…"
2 hours ago
Specs replied to Specs's discussion Real Men.
"Dude... calm your tits."
3 hours ago
R. Max 2.0 replied to Pale Horse's discussion The French Election in the group The Great Debate
9 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion The French Election in the group The Great Debate
"Indeed we have."
11 hours ago
Dustenious Treightonius updated their profile
11 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service