Syria allegedly gasses civilians. We blow up the airfield from which the gas attacks were launched. Syria says that if we continue, they'll attack Israel, and Russia denounces our attack. Let's talk about this.

Views: 716

Replies to This Discussion

Can you substantiate that?

Arguably, if he was really concerned about the wellbeing of Syrian children, he would allow them refugee status in the US. 

False dichotomy.

I don't know if you're responding to me, PH, but it seems to me that if he was sympathetic to the plight of Syrian children, he would want them to have refugee status, which very immediately and tangibly would improve their lives.

Trump instead bombed an airfield out of concern for children. The bombing of this airfield has not done anything to immediately and tangibly improve the lives of Syrian children suffering under Assad. It hasn't even stopped operations at that airbase. It hasn't destroyed chemical weapons. It probably hasn't destroyed much in the way of military capabilities to deliver those chemical weapons.

So Shane's right, it's a false dichotomy.

More properly "false dilemma". But, since the logic definition of "dichotomy" creates polar opposites, "false dichotomy" works as well.

Sure. He either absolutely cares and will do whatever it takes to show it, or he doesn't give a flying frick and is ebil. 

Tip for debaters everywhere:  your misspellings don't make _other_ people look dumb.

No it's not. Trump claims to be concerned about Syrian children. Trump does something that doesn't benefit Syrian children (ineffectively bomb airfield). Trump specifically attempts to block something that would benefit Syrian children (refugee status). On the basis of his actions, one cannot conclude that Trump is genuinely interested in the welfare of Syrian children.

And neither can you conclude that his concern is disingenuous. You have substantiated nothing because you have the idiot premise that the only way we can help the Syrians is by letting them come here. It's an especially stupid notion because I have seen Syrians express gratitude for Trump's actions.

Having Syrians come to the US as refugees is not the only way to help them, but it is one way. It's a pretty direct way. It's an easily-provided way. So yes, I think that when Trump uses a non-solution to a problem he professes to care about and specifically tries to deny use of a solution, he undercuts the authenticity of the care that he professes.

RSS

Latest Activity

Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Great q!  IDK.  But I suspect Analects, I Ching, Dao de Cheng, and Buddhist parables will be important.  Would like to get an expert opinion."
8 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Which stories provide the base generic thematic imagery of Asian literature? What are the headwaters from which it all flows? For Western literature it's the Bible and Greek Myth. With that foundation you can understand just about everything…"
27 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"Ah. Our form of government predates the left/right labels, so how we describe it is skewed from the rest of the world. Republicanism is, of course, a left wing form of government. But, because it's the only one we've ever had,…"
35 minutes ago
"Essential SF/Fantasy is way easier Foundation Canticle for Leibowitz Dawn/Imago/Adulthood Rites Lathe of Heaven Martian Chronicles Islands in the Net Neuromancer I, Robot Mote in God's Eye A Million Open Doors etc. Ender's Game/Speaker…"
51 minutes ago
"I don't understand that question (even if not addressed to me, I want to know)."
58 minutes ago
Sir added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Spacefaring civilization

Somebody, apparently, is going to Mars -- or so the President and the Congress intend.https://futurism.com/us-government-issues-nasa-demand-get-humans-to-mars-by-2033/See More
58 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"What do you have to access Asian literature?"
1 hour ago
Braeden replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"As a bonus my idea of essential fantasy. The Hobbit- JRR Tolkien  The Lord of the Rings- JRR Tolkien  A Song of Ice and Fire, the first three books- George RR Martin  Some Conan the Barbarian short stories from Robert E Howard Some…"
1 hour ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service