Just read this article, saw links on my facebooks to other sources saying the same thing.

Before my head explodes, would the resident conservatives please walk me off the cliff and explain this to me in a way I might understand.

Cause honestly, my initial reactions are that this is exactly why my nation won't ever be great again.

Views: 1048

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yeah. The liberal bias was still present. But, it wasn't openly hostile.

I think that's reasonable. Everyone is biased in one way or another. Institutions can be biased, too. But it's not much of a problem if they are genuinely open to other positions and create the conditions that encourage open, honest, respectful discussion to occur.

I don't even really mind the yelling. Emotional appeals go too far sometimes. What I object to, is that my mere existence is deemed offensive for some of the more vocal ones.

I'd feel the same way. What would frustrate me even more would be when those kind of people would be allowed to influence or dictate what happens in the classroom as a result of your presence.

It was a little different for me. I was in anthro.

Controversy in the home of scientific racism? Shocking! ;)

A lot of Jared Diamond fanboys/girls, I presume?

Uhhhh, no. I was an oddity to be studied.

Oh I see. What program / faculty were you in?

Cultural Anthropology. I was the only one of my kind.

Because this thread is fun...

I distinctly remember 3 profs during my undergrad. One was a mentor and head of the History dept, I had him for 3 classes including my final senior thesis. Amazing man.

The other two sucked.

One was my prof for my History of South Africa class, which was one of those dreaded international or cultural requirements. I wrote my big paper on some military events that weren't related to apartheid. I got a failing grade because I didn't mention apartheid. I went to office hours and worked with him and got my grade changed. I made a rational argument. He still didn't give me the A that the above dean said my paper was, but I passed the class with a B.

The other was this lady teaching an English class. We were on poetry and I thought she was talking out of her ass on the symbolism(I hate poetic symbolism). I was a cocky asshole(shock) and it didn't help that I worked as a painter all morning, so I was usually coming down from a paint high. We got in heated discussions, esp when she was more liberal than me. I realized I wasn't going to pass, so I called her up, apologized and asked if we could come to an understanding. We did some work together and ended up having a decent working relationship by the end of the class.

Point is, majority of what I remember is bad. My argument though is that we only remember the bad ones, and then project that they all must be bad. The vast majority weren't pushing any type of agenda, were very open to discussion, etc. 

Same with those damned teen kids. I remember the ones walking on my lawn, not all the ones just going to work or to school or just having an honest good time.

Or we see more stories about bad things happening, while the actual stats show less bad things happening. We can't reconcile the two unless we work at it.

"One was my prof for my History of South Africa class, which was one of those dreaded international or cultural requirements."

Dreaded? I would love to take that class!

It was interesting, but there were many others that weren't international/multi-cultural that I would have preferred to use those hours on.

RSS

Latest Activity

Adam Keynes commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"Recently I was hired to do some work of a rooftop, some painting, cleaning and the like. I arrived the day in which I had agreed to start with the owner and put on some working clothes but no shirt. He didn't say much and showed me to the…"
1 hour ago
Caberry replied to MMA_Erik's discussion Hello Gents :)
"Hello @Erik nice to have a chat with you here. I am also a newbie here. :)"
4 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Naveen's discussion I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it
"I found this one, on William James:http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/01/14/manvotional-3-maxims-habit-action/ And Brett did an article and video on "Fake it till you make…"
6 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"It is not about deadlines it is about the question how we treat a person and the capitalistic logic expects us to treat them based on what their value for the company is and to increase the value they generate for said company. The big problem with…"
14 hours ago
derick bean posted a status
15 hours ago
Naveen posted a discussion

I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it

Hi,There is a terrific article about William James Psychology and his concept about "Fake it till you make it". Act as if you already are confident. I cant find on google, here nowwhere. Anybody has read it lately?Best regards,NaveenSee More
15 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"Pleasure would state that said tense would lack aught of the prototypical. Fortune would state also that there would exist a certain settlement about the State of the Sole Star which would exist apropos for such an adjective."
19 hours ago
Braeden 2.0 replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"I'm very good at impersonating other people's writing or speaking."
19 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service