Just read this article, saw links on my facebooks to other sources saying the same thing.

Before my head explodes, would the resident conservatives please walk me off the cliff and explain this to me in a way I might understand.

Cause honestly, my initial reactions are that this is exactly why my nation won't ever be great again.

Views: 1048

Replies to This Discussion

Ok that is idiotic.

Indeed. And my experience isn't atypical. Though it seems to always happen in liberal arts colleges. You never hear about this shit happening in med school. Probably cuz they're too busy working.

I'd imagine it's a different breed going to med school as well.

Or because medical school curriculum is not social science, or opinion based. Nobody shouts down conservative opinions on Kidney function, because it's apolitical. 

There's politically charged discussion on brain function, though. 

That's a non-sequiter, since "capitalism" has nothing to do with liberal arts, as in humanities - it's related to economics, which is a social science.

So I'll venture that "liberal arts" in some schools is just a generic 'catch all term' which apparently can somehow now include rubbish such as postmodernism or political and economic theory, rather than actually having anything to do with the term in question.

Or because medical school curriculum is not social science, or opinion based

Social science isn't "liberal arts' by any proper definition that I"m aware of. I've never heard of economics, psychology, etc referred to as "liberal arts".

There's plenty of politically charged discussions to be had in med school: race based medicine, euthanasia, abortion, vaccines etc.

Biological sex distinctions.  Transsexuality/ gender identity disorder.  Genetic IQ factors.

JB

There's plenty of politically charged discussions to be had in med school: race based medicine, euthanasia, abortion, vaccines etc.

Sure, but largely that's within the confines of discussions about ethics and philosophy of medicine - not the science and practice of "how" rather than "why". 

"Sure, but largely that's within the confines of discussions about ethics and philosophy of medicine - not the science and practice of "how" rather than "why"." 

I don't know man. Questions like whether or not doctors should be obligated to prescribe birth control is less about medical treatment and more about ideology.

And I could see plenty of instances of people saying I don't give a shit about the Hippocratic oath; my oath(s) to God(s) supersede that therefore I can't do X.

What's a JW doctor to do if the only thing that will save a person's life is a blood transfusion?

Lumberjoe - yes, but again those are ethical and philosophical questions, that are more likely to be compartmentalized in a phlebotomy class where you are learning how to insert a central venous catheter - rather than dictating the discussion.

But what do I know.

Same. I'm just guessing.

RSS

Latest Activity

Adam Keynes commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"Recently I was hired to do some work of a rooftop, some painting, cleaning and the like. I arrived the day in which I had agreed to start with the owner and put on some working clothes but no shirt. He didn't say much and showed me to the…"
1 hour ago
Caberry replied to MMA_Erik's discussion Hello Gents :)
"Hello @Erik nice to have a chat with you here. I am also a newbie here. :)"
4 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Naveen's discussion I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it
"I found this one, on William James:http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/01/14/manvotional-3-maxims-habit-action/ And Brett did an article and video on "Fake it till you make…"
6 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"It is not about deadlines it is about the question how we treat a person and the capitalistic logic expects us to treat them based on what their value for the company is and to increase the value they generate for said company. The big problem with…"
14 hours ago
derick bean posted a status
15 hours ago
Naveen posted a discussion

I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it

Hi,There is a terrific article about William James Psychology and his concept about "Fake it till you make it". Act as if you already are confident. I cant find on google, here nowwhere. Anybody has read it lately?Best regards,NaveenSee More
15 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"Pleasure would state that said tense would lack aught of the prototypical. Fortune would state also that there would exist a certain settlement about the State of the Sole Star which would exist apropos for such an adjective."
19 hours ago
Braeden 2.0 replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"I'm very good at impersonating other people's writing or speaking."
19 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service