Just read this article, saw links on my facebooks to other sources saying the same thing.

Before my head explodes, would the resident conservatives please walk me off the cliff and explain this to me in a way I might understand.

Cause honestly, my initial reactions are that this is exactly why my nation won't ever be great again.

Views: 1056

Replies to This Discussion

That's a good point.  I was actually impressed with the quality of that article. 

Which is somewhat depressing, because competence should be expected not impressive.

All the stories I hear on the media are about riots, safe spaces, violent protests of disliked speakers, etc. 

I know that there are non-crazy colleges.  But it is like the statistics on childhood dangers: kids are safer now than 30 years ago - but nobody thinks so because of the constant barrage of scary stories.  Even though I know there are plenty of colleges that aren't crazy, and even good education going on at the places where crazy is happening, it is hard no to worry about "higher education" as a whole.

Sorry, missed this reply, and it is a great one on perception vs reality. Is the worry one that we should act upon institutionally, even if statistically there is no greater "problem" now than before? Or is it one we should address at the source?

This has been my biggest beef with many members of this website. Individual problems become hyper explosive representatives of the whole. And when I dare to question these individual events vs the entirety/whole, I am told that I am part of this problem. 

To be honest, this thread has addressed and answered what I figured, and that this is the same exact thing as the "media" thing.

Its all about public perception.

You hear stories about all these rioting college kids, high school kids, and free speech getting trampled on in the wake of Trump getting elected.... Of course the right is going to have a dramatic response. 

Not to mention, every college student we see on the news, on the internet, or the like is a whiny wind bag that has more voice than brain. 

In reality, I feel like most colleges are good places to get a decent education. But like with people, you only hear the ones with the loudest voice (i.e. Berkley).

I don't know man. Like I said, even my community college has a militant transgender professor. And a gay lobbyist as its VP. It may be worse than most, but it can't be too different.

And when I was in college 10 years ago, I had a radical leftist congressman as my politics and foreign policy teacher.

When I was in High school I had one radical feminist teacher (who recently resigned in epic fashion) and an insanely left leaning history teacher that would spend an entire class tearing Bush apart.

There is one in every crowd and those individuals did not represent the school as a whole.

So two out of how many?

Shane's argument is that you perceive this as reality for the entirety, that there are "too many"
And that my questioning just how many of these professors out of the whole there are is meaningless.

My point to the thread is that is there a reality to the idea that higher education isn't worth while because of "liberal things"

I won't argue against cost, everyone universally agrees that those are out of hand. But even then, I see that the argument should be  that one has to be more critical of major and school rather than denounce the system as a whole.

You're still arguing we believe "higher education is bad". The article doesn't say that, the survey doesn't reflect that, and we haven't either. You're creating a straw man and demanding we defend it.

You poor dumb bastard, you keep making my arguments. I am flat out saying that just about everything that the Republicans fight against is a bullshit straw man. I am asking that you defend your own straw men. Higher education, media bias, gay agenda, war on christmas, war on christianity, destruction of morals, Benghazi, definition of "Is".

You're making shit up. Try not doing that. I'll defend my position when you actually understand it. No one is arguing against higher education. Why you insist that is our argument I have no idea.

Is perception reality?

I see what you did there.

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Not really but ok"
3 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Actually, southern statues are dropping left and right. "
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"And they've already clumsily given away their endgame. Look at the links I posted in this thread. And there's also this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kkkby/lets-get-rid-of-mount-rushmore I have screenshot proof that original title…"
3 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"This is the video I was trying to show in the previous post:  "
4 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Yes. They are history (if they are old) and celebrations. I find it horrific that we're now getting into making rationales for destroying art. Like this:  memorials to the Pharaohs, self-aggrandizing hierarchs who used massive amounts of…"
4 hours ago
Daniel Rodriguez replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Political violence isn't new to the US or the modern world. Italy had the years of lead - we're nowhere near that. The UK has a strong Antifa counter culture - they're not losing anything for it. The only reason the US goes…"
7 hours ago
Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
8 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"In regard to Confederate memorials, perhaps Robert E. Lee's response to an invitation to mark Gettysburg with monuments is pertinent (emphasis my own): Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the…"
9 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service