Captain comb-over's ignorant statements about illegal immigrants were followed by a surge in his popularity amongst republicans, according to CNN polls.

He tried to defend his characterization of Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers by citing some statistic that indicated 80% of central american migrants were raped as they passed through Mexico on their way to enter the US illegally.

That sounds like it might be true - I know that rape is such a threat that central american women often pay for birth control shots before they cross into Mexico in anticipation of the threat... but where he proves his complete ignorance is in his using this fact to validate his assertion that the refugees are rapists - they're rape victims, not rapists. And it's very telling that they're willing to take that risk. What does that say about the conditions they are fleeing?

Views: 10426

Replies to This Discussion

I think most Presidents are surprised at how little power they have, and how difficult it is to get things done. I recall similar stories about Obama. They were framed very differently, though ... media spin-machine being what it is. Where Trump is an idiot who's surprised at how hard his job is ... Obama was a valiant rescuer disappointed at how obstructionists in the other party stood in the way of his hope and change.

Same thing. They get in office ... and get smacked across the face by the reality of governing. Presidents aren't dictators. And, getting things done takes different skills than promising voters the moon when you're on the campaign trail.

There's always a learning curve. Patience.

JB

I was thinking of this in reading someone's report on his first 100 days.  It was a friendly report, but it amounted to 3 parts:

* Actions Trump took without regard to whether they actually worked

* Good things that happened that we'd generally associate with a new Pres, or this one in particular (stock market boom; reduction in illegal immigration) that didn't clearly result from any action he took

* Gorsich

That is, it looked glorious, but only contained one Trump action that clearly achieved its desired result.

I do recall that exploding the debt in 2009 was a piece of cake.  But that's going with an existing culture, not against it.  I'm neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed yet.

This might work. I spent a night going through his 100 day action plan, and all his actions. Like I said, 16/18 items on his list have been completed. One is in the process, one found a better deal, and one has been recently supplanted by a different plan.
Attachments:

Looks pretty good.  My comments stand, but it's still great to see a pol do what he said he would.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Which stories provide the base generic thematic imagery of Asian literature? What are the headwaters from which it all flows? For Western literature it's the Bible and Greek Myth. With that foundation you can understand just about everything…"
20 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"Ah. Our form of government predates the left/right labels, so how we describe it is skewed from the rest of the world. Republicanism is, of course, a left wing form of government. But, because it's the only one we've ever had,…"
28 minutes ago
Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Essential SF/Fantasy is way easier Foundation Canticle for Leibowitz Dawn/Imago/Adulthood Rites Lathe of Heaven Martian Chronicles Islands in the Net Neuromancer I, Robot Mote in God's Eye A Million Open Doors etc. Ender's Game/Speaker…"
45 minutes ago
Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"I don't understand that question (even if not addressed to me, I want to know)."
51 minutes ago
Sir added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Spacefaring civilization

Somebody, apparently, is going to Mars -- or so the President and the Congress intend.https://futurism.com/us-government-issues-nasa-demand-get-humans-to-mars-by-2033/See More
52 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"What do you have to access Asian literature?"
58 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"As a bonus my idea of essential fantasy. The Hobbit- JRR Tolkien  The Lord of the Rings- JRR Tolkien  A Song of Ice and Fire, the first three books- George RR Martin  Some Conan the Barbarian short stories from Robert E Howard Some…"
1 hour ago
Braeden replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Some essential Science Fiction in my opinion. Dune- Frank Herbert The Man in the High Castle- Phillip K Dick Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?- Phillip K Dick VALIS- Phillip K Dick The Left Hand Of Darkness- Ursula K Le Guin Hard to Be A God-…"
1 hour ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service