For the last couple of years I've noticed a small but apparently growing number of establishments that ban children.  I see more restaurants and a few stores that expressly state that children are not allowed even if accompanied by an adult.  This week Jetblue kicked a family with an out of control toddler off of the flight.

Personally I think it's about time.  The "family friendly" business model is great for Disney, Chucky Cheese and the like.  But many businesses have coddled the clueless/inconsiderate/stupid parents who leave their children stuck in yard ape overdrive to disrupt other guests.  Businesses are starting to get it because people are voting with their wallets.  

On occasion my wife and I used to go to a very nice piano bar for a drink and to listen to some live music.  Somehow people got the idea that a bar at 10:00 on a Friday night was an appropriate place to bring infants and antsy toddlers.  Needless to say we don't go anymore.  Perhaps when the owners realize that children don't drink eight dollar martinis and don't tip perhaps they will jump on the child free bandwagon.

So are people for or against banning children?  Should policy be based on the individual's behavior?

Views: 604

Replies to This Discussion

+1.  Not everything was wine and roses back in the day.  But, as with many social constructs, the pendulum has swung too far back.  The less flexible conformity society of the 50s has given way to the I gotta be me, to hell with everybody else mentality.

Can somoene tell me what the hell post modern even means

Down boy.

I know there never was a "golden, perfect past."

My point was that during the quite large changes in social mores and expectations that really took off in the mid-to late 1960s (and to quote a book title, "Hell, I was there!") a lot of metaphorical babies got "thrown out with the bath water".  And I had a bit of an early reputation as a "brat" back then.

This Community is rife with postings demonstrating the result of a sizable minority of individuals putting on what amounts to a "(Bleep!) them if the can't take a joke, and besides, it's their problem if they don't like it, attitude in their public interactions with strangers .

That's not nostaglia for days gone by...It's more a regret that just enough folks don't have a clue.

Rather goes to an interesting phenomenon I've observed on the commute train.

Inevitably, the person offering a seat to an elderly person, a physically disabled person (the cane or crutches is a clue!), or a very pregnant woman is...a WOMAN!

(FYI, I'm normally standing during my commuter train ride.)

Well, I think it also boils down to the fact that a lot of the people that post on this site are persnickety weiners who like to erect strawmen of poorly mannered or "unmanly behavior" because frankly, there is something missing from their own self-identity.

Time and time again, I've read these posts detailing instances of behavior that is stretched to hyperbole in terms of extremity  or frequency by either a desire for concurrence from likeminded scolds or a level of hypersensitivity that borders on a social disorder.  I'm certain I live in the same world as  these posters, but not of that world. 

Sure, some people can be rude- but never, in my view, have I observed this rudeness transcend to the point that it becomes troubling. 

However, I realize from the ads for tweed, straightrazors, and old-timey gadgets that there wills be an element of eccentricty, and perhaps persnickety weiner-dom, intrinsic in participation in this site.  That, for me, is the "Children's Menu."  Hence, by agreeing to participate, I am also agreeing to overlook the natural annoyance that such behavior brings with.  I could always decide to simply not post here, but I have not- so I don't get to demand that the odd ducks who are certain that the Amish have the right idea in raising kids, or that everyone will be interested in cataloging etiquette breaches that they have observed during the week, should be banned or charged double. 

"pot, meet kettle."

That doesn't make sense, does it? It just sounds like it should.

I understood it.

Explain, with examples.

Edited to Add: "Please"

He's saying you too are a persnickety weiner who erects straw men.  I won't try to form my own opinion, but that's what "pot, meet kettle" must mean here.

Well, of course.  But that sort of comment needs to make sense in context- otherwise it's just a like so many other things that people say because it's much easier to reach into a trove of unoriginal snappy quips (Pot, meet kettle!TMI! tl, dnr!)than to make a point.

My comment was, "persnickety weiners who like to erect strawmen of poorly mannered or "unmanly behavior" because frankly, there is something missing from their own self-identity." 

Even absent the last part, which just tacks a value judgment onto an observation, I don't really do that.  In fact, including this one, there are at least three topics on active list that involve some form of what I'm talking about.

tl;dr.

I think that if you show up in a restaurant with a children's menu, you are aware of where they stand on this issue. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Native Son replied to Conor Gallagher's discussion Kilts
"What else would you have expected from an Englishman?"
19 minutes ago
Tony Wolf replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"I agree, but I was referring to the Bohemian counter-culturists that inspired the name - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemianism ."
22 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"It's worse than that. The original full members of the Bohemian Club were San Francisco newspaper reporters. Not so much a counter-culture group, but more a private after work hangout for the working press. Artists and musicians were allowed as…"
27 minutes ago
Brody Albers joined Tim Plett's group
Thumbnail

The manly art of coffee

For coffee lovers and home roasters
44 minutes ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
1 hour ago
Pale Horse commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

Josh100LuBu - Youthful Father Of A New Age

"Joplin? Josh may be high, but he's not a dirty hippy."
1 hour ago
Benjamin Richards joined Bruce Allan West's group
Thumbnail

Manly Missouri Men

A group for men from MO to e-gather and discuss manly activities, outings, and entertainment - as well as any various thing - offered in the great, centrally-located state of MO.
1 hour ago
Profile IconTim and Aus Man joined Stephen Larsen's group
Thumbnail

Banya Men!

Though they aren't common in the United States, Jjimjilbangs, Banyas, Onsens, and Hamams are a great places to hang out.  This is a group for men comfortable in their own skin and appreciate the eastern ideas of public bath houses.See More
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service