For the last couple of years I've noticed a small but apparently growing number of establishments that ban children.  I see more restaurants and a few stores that expressly state that children are not allowed even if accompanied by an adult.  This week Jetblue kicked a family with an out of control toddler off of the flight.

Personally I think it's about time.  The "family friendly" business model is great for Disney, Chucky Cheese and the like.  But many businesses have coddled the clueless/inconsiderate/stupid parents who leave their children stuck in yard ape overdrive to disrupt other guests.  Businesses are starting to get it because people are voting with their wallets.  

On occasion my wife and I used to go to a very nice piano bar for a drink and to listen to some live music.  Somehow people got the idea that a bar at 10:00 on a Friday night was an appropriate place to bring infants and antsy toddlers.  Needless to say we don't go anymore.  Perhaps when the owners realize that children don't drink eight dollar martinis and don't tip perhaps they will jump on the child free bandwagon.

So are people for or against banning children?  Should policy be based on the individual's behavior?

Views: 629

Replies to This Discussion

Explain, with examples.

Edited to Add: "Please"

He's saying you too are a persnickety weiner who erects straw men.  I won't try to form my own opinion, but that's what "pot, meet kettle" must mean here.

Well, of course.  But that sort of comment needs to make sense in context- otherwise it's just a like so many other things that people say because it's much easier to reach into a trove of unoriginal snappy quips (Pot, meet kettle!TMI! tl, dnr!)than to make a point.

My comment was, "persnickety weiners who like to erect strawmen of poorly mannered or "unmanly behavior" because frankly, there is something missing from their own self-identity." 

Even absent the last part, which just tacks a value judgment onto an observation, I don't really do that.  In fact, including this one, there are at least three topics on active list that involve some form of what I'm talking about.

I think that if you show up in a restaurant with a children's menu, you are aware of where they stand on this issue. 

Make that a SEPARATE Chidren's menu and you get a BIG +1!

Whether or not children are excluded is depends entirely on the situation.

If the place has a separate children's menu, it's usually the Dennys, Carrows, Applebees, chili's level of establishment.  A notch above are the PF Chang's and Cheescake Factories...child's menu is part of the adult menu.

What drives this is the owners' knowledge that there are folks who just don't get that small children don't fit in "white linen restaurants" or R-rated movies.

My previous post was an opportunity for someone to troll, and I fell for it (I've had a horrible day, FWIW, and didn't need more crap), so I'm deleting it.  I don't know why people have to do this, but I guess it must fill some need.

RSS

Latest Activity

Liam Strain replied to David R.'s discussion "Iron sharpens iron" in the group The Great Debate
"Just seems to me like bad journalism, not necessarily PC. "
12 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to David R.'s discussion "Iron sharpens iron" in the group The Great Debate
"Eh, I was just called a white supremacist by a local journalist last week for using a frog that isn't even Pepe. There's likely more people who think frogs are a Nazi symbol than people who actually think only whites can drink milk."
27 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to David R.'s discussion "Iron sharpens iron" in the group The Great Debate
"I'm not defending it. Rather, I brought this up to show the link to PC and "outrage culture," without really looking into the matter. If Mic were real journalists, they'd understand that milk isn't a new symbol of the…"
30 minutes ago
Conor replied to Conor's discussion I need help moving on, it's been six weeks now.
"Any relevant book ideas? I have ordered The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, i don't really know why but i watched a documentary about him and it sounded interesting so i thought why not. "
38 minutes ago
Conor replied to Conor's discussion I need help moving on, it's been six weeks now.
"I'm so fucking sick of myself, i don't know where to go or what to do. Why am i so weak? Why can't i see myself without her? Why can't i see myself with someone else? Fuck. I thought i was better after the weekend, but i am…"
42 minutes ago
Mongoose replied to Mongoose's discussion Regarding "Muslim Immigrant Woes" in Sweeden in the group The Great Debate
"It's those darned Stoopenwaffles!"
1 hour ago
Liam Strain replied to David R.'s discussion "Iron sharpens iron" in the group The Great Debate
"Aye - if you are frequently being linked with racism, it's for other reasons. "
1 hour ago
Lumberjoe replied to David R.'s discussion "Iron sharpens iron" in the group The Great Debate
""And there's also the restrictions on how to refer to this or that group. It may currently be the majority of the cases. But cases that don't fit that description shows that something else is up as well." Depends how you define…"
1 hour ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service