For the last couple of years I've noticed a small but apparently growing number of establishments that ban children.  I see more restaurants and a few stores that expressly state that children are not allowed even if accompanied by an adult.  This week Jetblue kicked a family with an out of control toddler off of the flight.

Personally I think it's about time.  The "family friendly" business model is great for Disney, Chucky Cheese and the like.  But many businesses have coddled the clueless/inconsiderate/stupid parents who leave their children stuck in yard ape overdrive to disrupt other guests.  Businesses are starting to get it because people are voting with their wallets.  

On occasion my wife and I used to go to a very nice piano bar for a drink and to listen to some live music.  Somehow people got the idea that a bar at 10:00 on a Friday night was an appropriate place to bring infants and antsy toddlers.  Needless to say we don't go anymore.  Perhaps when the owners realize that children don't drink eight dollar martinis and don't tip perhaps they will jump on the child free bandwagon.

So are people for or against banning children?  Should policy be based on the individual's behavior?

Views: 630

Replies to This Discussion

Explain, with examples.

Edited to Add: "Please"

He's saying you too are a persnickety weiner who erects straw men.  I won't try to form my own opinion, but that's what "pot, meet kettle" must mean here.

Well, of course.  But that sort of comment needs to make sense in context- otherwise it's just a like so many other things that people say because it's much easier to reach into a trove of unoriginal snappy quips (Pot, meet kettle!TMI! tl, dnr!)than to make a point.

My comment was, "persnickety weiners who like to erect strawmen of poorly mannered or "unmanly behavior" because frankly, there is something missing from their own self-identity." 

Even absent the last part, which just tacks a value judgment onto an observation, I don't really do that.  In fact, including this one, there are at least three topics on active list that involve some form of what I'm talking about.

I think that if you show up in a restaurant with a children's menu, you are aware of where they stand on this issue. 

Make that a SEPARATE Chidren's menu and you get a BIG +1!

Whether or not children are excluded is depends entirely on the situation.

If the place has a separate children's menu, it's usually the Dennys, Carrows, Applebees, chili's level of establishment.  A notch above are the PF Chang's and Cheescake Factories...child's menu is part of the adult menu.

What drives this is the owners' knowledge that there are folks who just don't get that small children don't fit in "white linen restaurants" or R-rated movies.

My previous post was an opportunity for someone to troll, and I fell for it (I've had a horrible day, FWIW, and didn't need more crap), so I'm deleting it.  I don't know why people have to do this, but I guess it must fill some need.

RSS

Latest Activity

David R. commented on Shane Belin's group Pennsylvania
"As I continue to move to the Hanover area, I just bought a desk-size Pa. flag to keep in my room (here is Maryland) as part of my "hang in there, you're gonna completely retire and move to Pa. at the end of June 2018"…"
42 minutes ago
Nature of a Man replied to Nature of a Man's discussion Autos with quality crafsmanship
1 hour ago
David F. replied to David R.'s discussion Collar stays
"Yep I'm in the same boat.  I found that Brooks Brothers No Iron are actually no iron and I can get shirts that fit really well.  So I wait for the sales and they tend to cost close to what a cheap shirt at fitting cost."
3 hours ago
Vendetta replied to Fabricante's discussion Engagement Questions
"You typically ask for permission before you give her the engagement ring. As it would be pointless to ask for permission for something you have already done. As for timing, I asked my now wife for her hand about 3 days after I asked my FIL for…"
4 hours ago
Vendetta replied to David R.'s discussion Collar stays
"I don't think I have ever purchased a button down that didn't come with collar stays. And the nicest I go for dress clothing is Marshalls. "
4 hours ago
Vendetta replied to Nature of a Man's discussion Autos with quality crafsmanship
"I have been very happy with the quality and durability of my Nissan. I have 150k miles on my Rogue and I have only paid about $1,000 in repairs on it in the 6+ years I have had it outside of regular maintenance (drive shaft U bracket broke @…"
4 hours ago
David F. replied to Nature of a Man's discussion Autos with quality crafsmanship
"As long as it's not from an american car company I think you will do okay.   This is purely from project management training.  When we looked at continuous improvement, Asian companies where examples of how to do it correctly and see…"
4 hours ago
WannabeTactical replied to WannabeTactical's discussion Furthest Shot in the group Riflemen
"How'd the Philippines treat you? I only know one other dude who spent time there. I'm actually going to the E-5 promotion board in a week."
5 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service