Fallout from a lawsuit, Jones's lawyers suggest he's a performance artist, and playing a character. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/lawyer-alex-jones-infowars-playing-c...

This is not really a surprise. But, unfortunately, this is the man that our President has publically lauded for his journalism, and "important work" and whose conspiracy laden scripts get turned into defense of questionable policy positions. 

So, he's playing a character. Now, instead of the president loving the reporting of a genuine crackpot, the president is just taking cues from a guy who isn't a crackpot, but plays one on TV. 

I'm not sure that's better.

Thoughts on the ramifications? if any? Have I missed something that makes this not even more disturbing than when we could assume he was genuine?

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

Infowars has had more accurate reporting than CNN these last two years, so that's something. Everyone in the business is playing a character, so that's something else. As for Jones himself, I watch him the same way I watch professional sports.

Yep. And that doesn't mean the reporting in its entirety is bogus. Jones knows he is a meme, and capitalizes on it. Everyone on television does it to an extent.

Infowars is about as crap as you can get. I've worked with a few of their journalists and I'll never visit their site again after meeting them.

So yes, I understand your concern Liam. Nothing about this presidency surprises me anymore...

Conspiracy theory: Jones and Trump have both been compromised by Duginists and are now unknowingly contributing to the execution of Russia's plans to destabilize the West.

Redpill me on Duginism.

Long story short:

Highly influential Russian intellectual / academic called Dugin writes a step-by-step instruction manual to destabilize the west and create a Eurasian empire run by Russia. Said intellectual / academic becomes senior Putin advisor and his books become mandatory reading in the Russian military academies. Plenty of what he plainly writes in black on white begins to actually happen IRL. Europe is already destabilized. The existence of NATO is being challenged. Russia is expanding its turf by taking over parts of sovereign countries as the West stands around and does nothing. Is the US immune? Or are things like the election hacking, fake news, the prominence of Jones, the ascent of Trump all the effects of Russia executing the Duginist plan?

It's certainly a conspiracy theory but IMO it's not that hard to believe. Especially since Jones and Trump frequently use language that is identical to Dugin's tenets and catchphrases.

More info: http://community.artofmanliness.com/forum/topics/the-fourth-politic...

Highlights of the actual plan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

A long-winded, slightly crazy but generally informative explanation and interpretation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdkfEKOVaFc

Thanks man

Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a read. For what it's worth though, Trump has been planning to run for president for quite a while, and was even a candidate in Ross Perot's Reform Party many years back, though he never had much media attention.

This is a tactic that other conservative media figures have used. In order to disassociate from an ugly/wrong/hateful statement that gets media attention, they claim to be joking or playing a character. Somehow though, other statements and positions are supposed to be taken seriously and given some kind of intellectual credibility. Then again, I never understood, in an emotional way, why one listens to such people.

Although, Jones has the additional layer of his divorce/custody proceedings and that's apparently that's the context in which his lawyer said that Jones plays a character, in an effort to make Jones look a little more sympathetic and capable of caring for children.

Regardless, nothing about him or what he says is deserving of the attention of anyone, let alone the office of the president.

For what it's worth, Jones is employed by IHeartMedia, propriety of Bain Capital, and while I don't keep up with the guy, I always thought his spiel was one of "anti-big government/corporations".

So to be honest I kind of believe that he is 'playing a character', and I'm not sure that he fully believes much of what he says, but simply says it because it sells.

Likewise I doubt that if he was seriously an "enemy of the state or the corporatocracy" as he presents himself, that he'd still be alive, let alone employed by one of the "globalist corporations".

So I think that Jones is just a symptom of a bigger problem, my opinion is that news and mass media today has for the most part just become 'infotainment', and there is less concern for accuracy and more just for sensationalist headlines which sell.

For example, my suspicion regarding the "Pizzagate" story that Jones apologized for, is that he was allowed to report on it when it was fairly fringe, but after it started to gain more popularity on social media, and allegedly inspired the man who attacked Comet Ping Pong, his bosses told him to drop it.

For the record though, could the OP show me where Donald Trump said he had respect for Jones as a journalist? I never remember hearing that.

Among other ties between the two, Trump appeared on Jones’ program on December 2, 2015, and told him: "Your reputation's amazing. I will not let you down."

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"The fact that you do that so well makes me lose a little respect for you."
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion Latest in Health Care in the group The Great Debate
"Subtitle 2 Section 7,9-10,15-18. The non-taxed inheritance bit will come in a later bill.  That falls into either tax reform, or Phase 3 of Ryan's plan."
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Specs's discussion I need some work advice.
""He's Back!""
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Portnoy's discussion Latest in Health Care in the group The Great Debate
"Missed that part.  Where is it in the House bill?  "
4 hours ago
Papa Thompson Jr joined Bryan Smith's group
Thumbnail

Gentlemen Apologists

A place for gentlemen of all stripes who are interested in the broad field of Christian apologetics. If you are a thoughtful man interested in pursuing a more reasonable faith, or if becoming a pipe-smoking clone of C.S. Lewis is one of your greatest aspirations, then this is the place for you.See More
9 hours ago
Shane joined Steven C.'s group
Thumbnail

Exercise

Exercise is a crucial part of maintaining a manly physique. Join up to share ideas, get support and discuss plans with other men.See More
11 hours ago
Braeden 2.0 replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"It would appear that one's speech patterns bear extensive marks of pretense, sir gentleman. Perhaps it may bamboozle the denizens of that Iberian burgh to speak in such a fashion ostentatious?"
11 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer posted a discussion

Barcelona About October

It would appear that one shall pay visit to Barcelona about October for a conference. Would aught exist able to proffer opine as to attractions about said settlement, or advice as to a sojourn thereof?See More
yesterday

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service