In and endless effort to defend and support modern-day punk rock, I have encountered waves and waves of close-minded individuals who think that punk is still and always will be The Sex Pistols and The Dead Kennedys (two great bands by the way), but punk HAS matured into some great positive sounds, I don't think anyone would argue the importance of The Clash, but in this day and age punk rock has taken a hit in the mainstream, with bands like Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, and I heard someone the other day say that Nickleback was their favorite punk band (and I'm sorry, Nickleback is terrible, and nowhere near what punk rock represents).

Also, since this is the AoM, I can tell you that the bands I post here are amazing for young men to look up to as pioneers of rock & roll and manliness, without all the bud light endorsements. Please feel free to share your modern and/or classic punk bands here that you think represent rock & roll manliness. And as always, keep it civil.

First band: The Gaslight Anthem and their song "American Slang"

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

3 cool bands I have been into forever- Misfits, Black Flag and Exploited.

I will play along but I have serious doubts in your statement: "I can tell you that the bands I post here are amazing for young men to look up to as pioneers of rock & roll and manliness" since you brought up "Gaslight Anthem".  Sorry I just don't like them.  I mean no offense there's just 60,000+ members here that might have a different taste in music and that's a pretty bold statement to make.

Like I said I play along.

Vic Thrill

Iggy Pop

Social Distortion

Violent Femmes:

I also have varying tastes in music, and love punk rock with every fiber of my being. Before anyone gets the notion that I think that The Gaslight Anthem or any band I personally post "isn't punk rock" because they are not from the 70's, trust me I'm young but I know my punk history. My purpose is to introduce new punk bands, bands that are less than 10 years old and that to me represent a mature punk sound, outside of politics and outside of trying to destroy the system or drinking or partying, bands that tackle the essence of love, heartache, growing up, friendship & loyalty... ok, and maybe a little bit of partying, haha. I love every single one of the bands/songs you posted here. And again my aim is new music outside of the horrible excuse for punk rock in the mainstream. Bands that have matured the punk sound from what my generation grew up with: NOFX, Pennywise, Nerf Herder, Screeching Weasel, etc... I love those bands but, lyrically, they seem childish when you yourself have matured as a human. As always I welcome flaws found in my statements, I'm here to learn and grow as a mature punk. Here's another band to check out, a bluegrass band that is pretty popular in the punk scene (video is pretty funny as well):

+1 on this video.  I didn't mean to say Gaslight wasn't punk by any means I just don't like them ;) 

OK so I take that back.  I've listened to like 9 songs by Gaslight and don't find them remotely punk.  Punk influenced maybe but just another top 40s band.

Have you ever heard anything off their first release Sink or Swim by chance?

Cause if all you've heard is from '59 Sound or even American Slang, you're missing out. If you don't like anything off that record, then I will bow out of this "debate", haha. If that record doesn't change your mind then nothing will :) Here's one track off that record:

good modern punk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hez7bGbutBs

Raised Fist, they've been going for many years now, from Sweden.

I like your comment about the dismal economy with little opportunity, that definitely has given a huge inspiration to a lot of young punk bands. Hard work, blue collar bands are on the rise, and DIY is making a come back. Bands have even started to consider, maybe inadvertently, the question Francis Ford Coppola raised: "But who said art has to cost money? And therefore, who says artists have to make money?", a lot of bands are giving music out for free (at least in punk), and are making money by seeking other creative endeavors or by pumping your gas. I know of a lot of bands who go out on tour and come back breaking even or with less money and their pockets. A big part of it is just doing it for the love of the game and forging our own community built on love and trust.

And by "like" I mean, can connect with. Oops.

I'll throw in some more recent punk bands.  Rancid, Pennywise, Sum 41.  Okay maybe not Sum 41 lol.

Rancid was one of the first punk bands I ever got into. I love their Life Won't Wait record. And Bro Hymn is an amazing song! You may like this band if you're into Rancid, this is their older stuff put out in 2004 (when they were in high school!), and have grown out of this style of music, and they're better now in my humble opinion, but this record still rocks:

RSS

Latest Activity

Karl Helweg commented on Jonas Ogrefoln's group Archaic Technology
22 minutes ago
Mark Viles Kingsley updated their profile
24 minutes ago
Karl Helweg commented on Mark's group Spaceflight Fanatics
"Space sounds or "yes, they can hear you scream in space if you scream loud enough:"  http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/features/halloween_sounds.html ;"
24 minutes ago
Profile IconDaniel Rodriguez, Greg Stavinoha and Karl Helweg joined t-train's group
Thumbnail

Armchair Generals

A group for men who are interested in military history, or anything militaria.  Discuss armies of the past, great leaders, strategy, weapons, etc.See More
56 minutes ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Christopher McLaughlin's discussion starting to box.
"I'm kinda surprised your sexual orientation is a concern. Maybe it's just me, but all throughout college I've met plenty of heterosexual people and haven't met many people who have a problem with it. Aside from all the protests…"
1 hour ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Christopher McLaughlin's discussion starting to box.
"Hell Yes. I learned Muy Thai for about a half year, what a work out that was. Loved it though."
1 hour ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jamie Q's discussion What is your dream guitar?
"When my father passed away recently he left me his MSA 10 string double-neck steel guitar.  I plan on learning to play it, although with all the projects I have going on it may be a while.  I always thought it was cool that his name was…"
1 hour ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Peter Bb's discussion Hello All!
"Hi Peter. Shame to hear about the ACL. I once busted my shoulders. It took years for them to fully heal. Slept the wrong way? There goes any movements higher than my shoulder blades. Sucked."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service