I'm looking to build up my collection of ska tunes.  Any suggestions?

Views: 566

Replies to This Discussion

Ska-P, greaat ska anti-establishment punk band from spain

Gentlemen, we have been remiss. Did we forget... FISHBONE?

Great stuff Gary!!! Thanks for adding these!

I know this thread is ancient, but I love ska, so... GREAT suggestions already, especially on pg. 2 here. I love the old Jamaican stuff--I created a Pandora radio station called "Skinhead moonstomp radio," built off of the song of the same name by SYMARIP. It plays lots of lesser-known Jamaican and British-carribbean artists, in addition to the better knowns like Desmond Dekker, who another AOM fella already mentioned. Def also check out the Skatalites for another OG Jamaican group. Check out the Isrealites for a contemporary band that plays the true Jamaican style.

For two-tone/1980s era, others have already listed off the biggies: Madness, The Specials, etc. Also early English Beat (like "Mirror in the Bathroom") is great!

For third wave, in addition to The Slackers, Hepcat, etc. (though those are more traditional in style), also look up Five Iron Frenzy, Not For the Crowd, Save Ferris and also early No Doubt. For more on the Instrumental/Jazz side check out the New York Ska Jazz Orchestra and The Trojans also did some cool stuff. Enjoy and feel irie, mon... ;)

PS--If you are searching around the internet for ska-related stuff, also search the terms "rocksteady," "roots reggae," "skinhead reggae," "mento," and "lover's rock" for related styles of music. 

Mephiskapheles - Doomsday

Latest Activity

Phil Krajewski posted photos
27 minutes ago
Joseph Gannon updated their profile
34 minutes ago
Douglas Perry joined KermitKebab's group

Depression (And Suicide)

This is something we all face in this life.  We get lonely.  We are disappointed.  We fail.  Sometimes others fail us.  What do you do when you are  truly depressed?  What if it goes on a long time?  Ever considered suicide?  It happens all the time.
41 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to 2risewhenfallen's discussion Opinions Needed on Love Letter to an.... Ex
"I don't always agree with Denny, but when I do, it is best to listen"
47 minutes ago
Michael Martin replied to East London Gent's discussion To Leave or Not to Leave
"If you are not getting excitement from this relationship then you may need to move on. Sounds like you are not getting what you really need from any relationship.I have been married for 25 years and believe me I still get " that…"
1 hour ago
Shane replied to Sir's discussion Europe's migrant crisis in the group The Great Debate
"See? You're starting to understand."
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Sir's discussion Europe's migrant crisis in the group The Great Debate
"Yes and it doesnt even matter how the information is presented, since communication has absolutley nothing to do with how informations are processed and interpreted"
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Sir's discussion Europe's migrant crisis in the group The Great Debate
"If you had read it you would have seen the same figures your "trustworthy" source provided."
2 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service