Information

Martial Artists

For martial artists of all stripes, Eastern, Western, or in between.

Members: 264
Latest Activity: Apr 11

Discussion Forum

Martial Arts not very popular on AoM - Why?

Started by Andrew D, USA Ret. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 18, 2013. 16 Replies

Preparing the mind for the mat

Started by Matt J K. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 13, 2013. 4 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Martial Artists to add comments!

Comment by Stephen Young on April 25, 2009 at 2:15am
I'm Stephen, trained for 9 years in World Traditional Taekwondo (ATA/WTTU). I was wondering if there's anyone from the Montreal area who can suggest a good place to train in any martial art - I stopped going about a year ago, and as i'm sure you all have felt, it's not something that can just leave your life. I'd really like to try Kung Fu, I think, but would like even more to hear about some other people's experiences - it's the environment, the attitude and and not the name it's underneath that makes the difference
Comment by Chris McCracken on April 23, 2009 at 6:41pm
My name is Chris McCracken. I am commonly referred to as Krakkerz. Studying the Martial Arts is the major portion of my life and has been for a very long time. I won't get into details about my history. If you want to know, you'll do a Google search.

I'm looking forward to seeing some spirited (not mean spirited) discussions on developing ourselves and our students, as well as ensuring the arts stay a test of character and not something you "do", but something you "are"
Comment by Dennis Leber on April 12, 2009 at 11:58am
hello group, i teach Tae Kwon Do, and recently started taking Ha Mun Do and Brazillian Ju Jitsu to become more well rounded.
Comment by Arnold Kelly on April 12, 2009 at 8:19am
I've been practicing and/or researching the "martial sciences" off and on for over 25 years now. Currently no students or school of my own, but I have my own personal fighting style, which I call Universal Dragon System. Currently working on my first ever self defense workshop that I'm teaching in May.
Comment by Rich V on April 11, 2009 at 11:12am
Wrestled through high school and an currently do BJJ and dabble in judo.
Comment by Tookie on April 10, 2009 at 11:20pm
Gotta love dabbling in lots of stuff. Did some Karate as child, Aikido, Kung Fu, Capoeira, Escrima, Traditional Archery.

Of the ones I currently practice, Escrima. Would love to get back into Capoeira, but takes a bit more time as the limberness left me.
Comment by haytkir on April 10, 2009 at 1:30pm
Hello there.

Spent most of my time in Brazilian jiujitsu, but recently have branched out into traditional Japanese jujutsu and Krav Maga.

While not always the case, it seems that I often find men who are interested in martial arts often have some interest in real manliness as well.
Comment by Lightbringer on April 10, 2009 at 1:30pm
I was a fencer for four years in high school. I planned to continue it in college where they had a club, but I also joined Army ROTC, which included physical training (PT) three mornings per week, and they were always the morning after fencing practice - if you know anything about physical training this obviously is not a practical notion. After two years in ROTC I left (a discussion for another day), and I was in the best shape of my life. I realized that going back to fencing would keep me in shape, but a martial art would do that AND actually do something to keep me alive if TSHTF. Now I have been practicing Isshinryu Karate for the last 5 years and my Sensei is starting to talk about scheduling my brown belt test.
Comment by Chris Amendola on April 10, 2009 at 9:55am
Greetings.

I have been working at, and occasionally teaching, one style/art/school or another for almost 30 years now, with my garage being my main training facility these days.

For the last few years I have been working on reconstructing and reviving the art of Bartitsu as a member of the Bartitsu Sociey (www.bartitsu.org) which I think has been mentioned here on AoM.

I like having just the Martial Artists group here at AoM. Good idea!
Comment by Charlie Kondek on April 10, 2009 at 7:59am
Props to my bros in the martial arts. *hand over fist, bow* I started out in karate, mixed martial arts, then got into kendo. Kendo has been my main thing for ten years or more, trying to keep up with the hand to hand, standup and grappling, on the side. Big fan of all arts and, of course, KUNG FU MOVIES!

Members (264)

Latest Activity

Profile IconStephen Jashub Comstock and Matt joined Roberto's group
Thumbnail

Bird Watching

For men who enjoy birding - finding, tracking and sharing sightings of different bird species.See More
24 minutes ago
Paul updated their profile
35 minutes ago
Paul posted a discussion

Becoming a Better Writer

Hello all,For the past couple months I have been striving to get better at scholarly writing for essays and research papers.  Is there any advice you can give a college student?  I discovered copywriting on this website and it has helped but I was wondering if you guys have any other advice? ThanksSee More
38 minutes ago
Benjamin Nelson replied to Marvin's discussion What would be considered physically weak? in the group Exercise
"First and foremost, don't ever worry about how much weight you can put up. It will eventually come if you keep at it. Second, the only way you ate going to be successful in the gym is to go in with a plan. You don't have to have a notebook…"
1 hour ago
Will replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Atheism ascendant throughout the world? Evidence shows the opposite in the group The Great Debate
"John, tell us about the spread of Xianity in the Islamic world.  Everything I'm seeing is about Christians fleeing (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria).  If there's another side, I want to know it."
1 hour ago
Scott J added a discussion to the group Christian Men
1 hour ago
John Muir replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Atheism ascendant throughout the world? Evidence shows the opposite in the group The Great Debate
"In Western Europe, as in most places, the lower socio-economic status immigrant population has more children than the established, financially secure indigenous population - who tend to only have one or two kids.  Christianity is spreading in…"
1 hour ago
Liam S. replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Atheism ascendant throughout the world? Evidence shows the opposite in the group The Great Debate
"About 3% of the population. "
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service