Information

Martial Artists

For martial artists of all stripes, Eastern, Western, or in between.

Members: 269
Latest Activity: Sep 17

Discussion Forum

Preparing the mind for the mat

Started by Matt J K. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 13, 2013. 4 Replies

why martial arts?

Started by Eric G.. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 11, 2013. 25 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Martial Artists to add comments!

Comment by Charlie on the PA Turnpike on June 12, 2009 at 12:18pm
Greetings all,

I've recently earned my 1st Dan in Taekwondo (World Takewondo Federation). I have some experience in Hapkido as well.
Comment by Paul T. Manogue on June 2, 2009 at 1:22pm
Liam,
Both actually, I started my aikido in Japan at the yoshinkan , they teach the japanese riot police, so the martial was apparent, over the years I went a little "granola" with my training but after meeting some serious kali people in the mid 90's I went back into the hard core martial side, the cross training has really opened up my aikido and made it a good blend of martial and spiritual for me.
Comment by Paul T. Manogue on June 2, 2009 at 6:30am
Hey guys,

Have been reading AOM for quite a while, but just started to join groups. I train and teach aikido which I have been at for 21 years, I also train and teach Yagyu shin kage ryu, an old style of Japanese martial art. I strted in karate when I was 11, moved on to judo, went back to karate, fenced(saber and foil up to Jr olympic level), boxed, kendo, JKD, kali/silat/ muy thai, capoeria, savate and BJJ . MOst of my time now is in aikido, but I still like to get together and do some kali.
Comment by Jared on June 1, 2009 at 2:48pm
Recently joined a Krav Maga gym, I also study Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Silat, Escrima.
Comment by Gary Slaughter on May 30, 2009 at 12:40pm
Testing time. Sunday I test for my black belt in Kum Do (Korean sword art). It's similar to Kendo, even using the wooden sword and bamboo sword, along with a bladed sword that will cut a cucumber, but anything harder will put a nick in the blade. I think Koreans tend to be more pragmatic and don't imbue the sword with the metaphysical characteristics the Japanese do (i.e. - The sword is the soul of the samurai.) It's another weapon like the staff, sai, nunchaku etc.
Comment by Jody Dawkins on May 5, 2009 at 1:24pm
Hi all. I'm Jody. I got my start in Taekwondo. I hold dan ranking in Hapkido but spend most of my time these days investigating principle based martial arts such as Systema.
Comment by Morris Harrell on April 27, 2009 at 4:39pm
I'm moe, I've previously trained in Mi Jhong, Akido and Tae Kwon Do for short periods, and I'm looking forward to getting home so I can start it up again! For me, it's a lifestyle to practice martial arts, not just a hobby.
Comment by Stephen Young on April 25, 2009 at 2:15am
I'm Stephen, trained for 9 years in World Traditional Taekwondo (ATA/WTTU). I was wondering if there's anyone from the Montreal area who can suggest a good place to train in any martial art - I stopped going about a year ago, and as i'm sure you all have felt, it's not something that can just leave your life. I'd really like to try Kung Fu, I think, but would like even more to hear about some other people's experiences - it's the environment, the attitude and and not the name it's underneath that makes the difference
Comment by Chris McCracken on April 23, 2009 at 6:41pm
My name is Chris McCracken. I am commonly referred to as Krakkerz. Studying the Martial Arts is the major portion of my life and has been for a very long time. I won't get into details about my history. If you want to know, you'll do a Google search.

I'm looking forward to seeing some spirited (not mean spirited) discussions on developing ourselves and our students, as well as ensuring the arts stay a test of character and not something you "do", but something you "are"
Comment by Dennis Leber on April 12, 2009 at 11:58am
hello group, i teach Tae Kwon Do, and recently started taking Ha Mun Do and Brazillian Ju Jitsu to become more well rounded.

Members (268)

Latest Activity

Scott L Ferrell commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"i love to sleep shirtless on my stomach, with my arms flexed above my head. "
10 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"That's why I waited tables for so long when I hated it.  Money was pretty good at a steakhouse.  Hours weren't all that long -- I was the slacker waiter that switched sections to get off early.  And, I was…"
13 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"They're really not big words, and as you say they're common. I feel pretty comfortable not looking them up"
13 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"Seems like a smart guy with a good head on his shoulders.  Respectable enough. JB"
15 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"This thread needs its own popcorn machine."
17 minutes ago
"Bullshit.  You just have a kneejerk over-sensitivity to the term 'unskilled' because you didn't comprehend the terminology.  You assumed it was belittling, and threw a hissyfit rather than looking it up.   The term…"
17 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"Call me an idiot if you want, but you're changing your tone. You know what dismissive, belittling language is, and your language was dismissive and belittling. "
27 minutes ago
Mohan replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"One of my favorites is Blue Bloods on CBS.  It is about a family of cops who are tough, nose to the grindstone.  The topics are real day to day stuff, and what's more, it has 80s tough guy Tom Selleck playing Dad/Commissioner of…"
28 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service