Information

Martial Artists

For martial artists of all stripes, Eastern, Western, or in between.

Members: 269
Latest Activity: Oct 10

Discussion Forum

Preparing the mind for the mat

Started by Matt J K. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 13, 2013. 4 Replies

why martial arts?

Started by Eric G.. Last reply by Regular Joe Dec 11, 2013. 25 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Martial Artists to add comments!

Comment by Charlie on the PA Turnpike on June 12, 2009 at 12:18pm
Greetings all,

I've recently earned my 1st Dan in Taekwondo (World Takewondo Federation). I have some experience in Hapkido as well.
Comment by Paul T. Manogue on June 2, 2009 at 1:22pm
Liam,
Both actually, I started my aikido in Japan at the yoshinkan , they teach the japanese riot police, so the martial was apparent, over the years I went a little "granola" with my training but after meeting some serious kali people in the mid 90's I went back into the hard core martial side, the cross training has really opened up my aikido and made it a good blend of martial and spiritual for me.
Comment by Paul T. Manogue on June 2, 2009 at 6:30am
Hey guys,

Have been reading AOM for quite a while, but just started to join groups. I train and teach aikido which I have been at for 21 years, I also train and teach Yagyu shin kage ryu, an old style of Japanese martial art. I strted in karate when I was 11, moved on to judo, went back to karate, fenced(saber and foil up to Jr olympic level), boxed, kendo, JKD, kali/silat/ muy thai, capoeria, savate and BJJ . MOst of my time now is in aikido, but I still like to get together and do some kali.
Comment by Jared on June 1, 2009 at 2:48pm
Recently joined a Krav Maga gym, I also study Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Silat, Escrima.
Comment by Gary Slaughter on May 30, 2009 at 12:40pm
Testing time. Sunday I test for my black belt in Kum Do (Korean sword art). It's similar to Kendo, even using the wooden sword and bamboo sword, along with a bladed sword that will cut a cucumber, but anything harder will put a nick in the blade. I think Koreans tend to be more pragmatic and don't imbue the sword with the metaphysical characteristics the Japanese do (i.e. - The sword is the soul of the samurai.) It's another weapon like the staff, sai, nunchaku etc.
Comment by Jody Dawkins on May 5, 2009 at 1:24pm
Hi all. I'm Jody. I got my start in Taekwondo. I hold dan ranking in Hapkido but spend most of my time these days investigating principle based martial arts such as Systema.
Comment by Morris Harrell on April 27, 2009 at 4:39pm
I'm moe, I've previously trained in Mi Jhong, Akido and Tae Kwon Do for short periods, and I'm looking forward to getting home so I can start it up again! For me, it's a lifestyle to practice martial arts, not just a hobby.
Comment by Stephen Young on April 25, 2009 at 2:15am
I'm Stephen, trained for 9 years in World Traditional Taekwondo (ATA/WTTU). I was wondering if there's anyone from the Montreal area who can suggest a good place to train in any martial art - I stopped going about a year ago, and as i'm sure you all have felt, it's not something that can just leave your life. I'd really like to try Kung Fu, I think, but would like even more to hear about some other people's experiences - it's the environment, the attitude and and not the name it's underneath that makes the difference
Comment by Chris McCracken on April 23, 2009 at 6:41pm
My name is Chris McCracken. I am commonly referred to as Krakkerz. Studying the Martial Arts is the major portion of my life and has been for a very long time. I won't get into details about my history. If you want to know, you'll do a Google search.

I'm looking forward to seeing some spirited (not mean spirited) discussions on developing ourselves and our students, as well as ensuring the arts stay a test of character and not something you "do", but something you "are"
Comment by Dennis Leber on April 12, 2009 at 11:58am
hello group, i teach Tae Kwon Do, and recently started taking Ha Mun Do and Brazillian Ju Jitsu to become more well rounded.

Members (269)

Latest Activity

Leonard replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion what is the best whisky for men?
"I love Scotch"
4 minutes ago
Tony Wolf replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Bohemianism (as a lifestyle) was widespread throughout Europe and the Americas and the name/style/aesthetic was appropriated, with more or less irony, by all manner of people.   "
18 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Actually, the "Bohemians" the club is named for were originally New York newspaper reporters.  Pretty much an American construction based on appreciation of French counterculture of the 1840s.  (It would appear the French though…"
37 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Conor Gallagher's discussion Kilts
"What else would you have expected from an Englishman?"
1 hour ago
Tony Wolf replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"I agree, but I was referring to the Bohemian counter-culturists that inspired the name - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemianism ."
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"It's worse than that. The original full members of the Bohemian Club were San Francisco newspaper reporters. Not so much a counter-culture group, but more a private after work hangout for the working press. Artists and musicians were allowed as…"
1 hour ago
Brody Albers joined Tim Plett's group
Thumbnail

The manly art of coffee

For coffee lovers and home roasters
1 hour ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service