hello all

the title "is it necessary? comes from a discussion i had with a couple of friends whilst perusing an antique mall. on this trip we saw countless old family photos being sold by people in their areas. it went a bit like this...

(apparently an antique mall will designate an airea for some one to display their stuff and when some one buys something from a persons area that  person gets money and the mall takes a percentage)

any way i made a comment as to how sad it was that people are not valuing their own family history and heritages any more, how its so cheaply for sale. to which both friends reply... "why not, its not like they knew each other anyway"?

i just was thinking of what could have prompted them to reply the same way this concept makes no sense to me at all, what do you all think?

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

We've been sold the lie that a white-washed "American" identity is all that we should value. It's ideals left-over from centuries of colonialist values that, in more modern times, we can trace back to our British roots, but which ultimately reach back millennia to the era of Pax Romana. It's arrogant and foolish values ignorantly and unknowingly adopted. Don't be too hard on your friends. Most people I know have that same attitude.

It is only when we dare to be different and step back to look at the broader picture (or have the good fortune to be brought up in a rare household that instills this) that we begin to desire to identify what makes us who we are and can see that so many beyond ourselves contribute to this.

So, give your friends time and lead by example. They may eventually begin to think through it for themselves and catch the desire.
ya i just don't agree with allot of this popular idealistic "individualism" identity... no wonder so many people feel disjointed from family, community, and their histories these days.

also please excuse my spelling above it was something that kept me up a bit late lol

I'm right there with you Eric. I think it is sad too. I understand that there will be a certain percentage of old family photos that will end up sold due to the family line dying out, but I think too many just don't value their past.  I don't think there is anything arrogant or foolish about valuing your family history.

It's sad to sell family photos even from the individualistic American perspective.  Someday someone's going to have a child that looks just like one of those ancestors, but won't have a copy left as a conversation piece. 

I'm more curious about respecting the living than the dead, though.  My son looks a lot like his mother's cousin whom I've never met.  We're divorced and not on good terms and she hasn't seen her cousin in probably 40 years.  Why stop at dissing the dead when you can dis living relatives too?  

My philosophy is to know thyself, including family and history, but not to be limited to or defined by it.  My ex on the other hand, defines relationships and priorities by convenience and doesn't have contact with any of her bridesmaids from when we married 18 years ago.  I tell my sons that it's not a matter of good or bad, they are just different.  

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D replied to Nick H's discussion Has AOM jumped the shark or is it's just cyclical in the group The Great Debate
"The reason why we have a government is that we can go home after work and watch ESPN highlights. We delegated the governing of our country's to our elected officials, because we have other things to do. If out elected officials fail to deliver…"
36 minutes ago
Ameretta replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"My apologies for being an inconvenience to you..sike, but on a serious note your statement is a  lie because this issue started long before I came on here. I don't know why you think it's so easy to dismiss this as a perception issue…"
1 hour ago
J. Exalto replied to Sir's discussion The cotton ceiling and other subtleties in the group The Great Debate
"Well I am exclusively (sexually) attracted to a very specific type of guy, which happens to be the type of guy that pretty much describes every guy in the place I grew up (which happens to be almost entirely white).  So I think upbringing…"
1 hour ago
Eric W replied to Skyler G. H. Reep's discussion Interview Attire for Kayaking Guide?
"I would've worn my red puffy vest over a shirt as I'm sure it could pass as a life preserver - shows a concern for aquatic safety."
5 hours ago
Eric W replied to Eric W's discussion Gilets, Bodywarmers & Down Vests
"I'm not gonna ditch my vests, I like wearing them and wear them more than most of my other types of clothes :P I was more looking for suggestions on what other people wear with them."
6 hours ago
Sir replied to Nick H's discussion Has AOM jumped the shark or is it's just cyclical in the group The Great Debate
"I would like to have some info on that too, because I suspect it has."
7 hours ago
Tom Imbach joined Frost's group
Thumbnail

Ian Flemming

Many have seen the movies. But do you know the author behind James Bond.See More
9 hours ago
Tom Imbach joined Wil Harper's group
Thumbnail

Scotch Connoisseurs

A place to discuss scotch and all that goes along with it.
9 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service