What spawned your interest into the field of apologetics? Nagging doubts, a skeptical friend, a college professor, total coincidence...?

Views: 90

Replies to This Discussion

For me, it was nagging doubts and religious conversations with skeptical friends. How about you?

A desire to prepare myself to be an effective witness. I'm a big believer in conversational evangelism, and feel compelled by 1Peter 3:15 to be prepared

Love it.

"Conversational evangelism..."   WOW! I like that!

A mens' study group I was part of in the mid-90s read and discussed CS Lewis' "Surprised by Joy". Although the details have slipped away, the value of that experience has stayed with me. Reading more of C. S. Lewis' works has been something I've wanted to get to, and group study still appeals to me. There would seem to be enough "Gentlemen Apologists" now to accomodate a range of topics and interests over time or even concurrently. I know I'd like to study with John Muir, and for a young man of Bryan Smith's generation to read ANYTHING with multisyllable words impresses this ex-teacher to no end! (~8

To conduct conversational evangelism we must be prepared with something to say. People in our day have heard (and mock) pulpit delivery of the gospel. Few of us will speak from a pulpit much but we all meet people one-on-one. While Jesus certainly ministered to the multitudes his ministry to individuals and small groups was no less powerful.

My own personal doubts and a friend who was an atheist.

Ever since I became a born again Christian at age 21 I have had a keen interest in apologetics.  My first book about the subject was "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell, and his follow up works.  I am a graduate of Regent College in Vancouver, and have studied under some Christian luminaries like J. I. Packer.  I also was an avid listener of "The Bible Answer Man" first hosted by Dr. Walter Martin, then Hank Hannegraaff.  I have done work for the Christian Research Institute translating tracts. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Curtis replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Ferguson Grand Jury Decision in the group The Great Debate
"Titus; attacked with a knife in your home - by all means, shoot him.  I agree that protecting yourself and yours within your home and when confronted by an armed assailant, is cause for such measures and is justified.  Also, RE your…"
7 minutes ago
Patrick H. posted a discussion

Rowing

Hey folks. I couldn't find a thread about this when I searched for one, so here's a new query for the site. What does AoM think of rowing? I've just taken the sport up and am curious to hear if anyone else has experience, insight, or advice to share.See More
22 minutes ago
Josh100LuBu replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"PH is just an idiot but John has a clear agenda of envy towards me and everything I represent. A terrible understanding of competitive bodybuilding and a personal vendetta against all who succeed in what they love. You try to use the steroid…"
49 minutes ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"England cares about social class, especially in the south. The rest of the UK doesn't"
50 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"Brilliant. So did we."
1 hour ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"Whatever you want to spend your money on is fine with me. If spending the equivalent of what a nice home costs on a wristwatch makes you happy (and you can afford it) I'm happy for you. If you're buying a car you can't afford to try…"
1 hour ago
Tom Baker replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"Thanks to those of you that have completed my survey, really appreciate it."
1 hour ago
Martin Grier posted a status
"Just back from Malta saw a modern take on Caravaggio https://bloggerphotography.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/caravaggio-postbox/"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service