What spawned your interest into the field of apologetics? Nagging doubts, a skeptical friend, a college professor, total coincidence...?

Views: 91

Replies to This Discussion

For me, it was nagging doubts and religious conversations with skeptical friends. How about you?

A desire to prepare myself to be an effective witness. I'm a big believer in conversational evangelism, and feel compelled by 1Peter 3:15 to be prepared

Love it.

"Conversational evangelism..."   WOW! I like that!

A mens' study group I was part of in the mid-90s read and discussed CS Lewis' "Surprised by Joy". Although the details have slipped away, the value of that experience has stayed with me. Reading more of C. S. Lewis' works has been something I've wanted to get to, and group study still appeals to me. There would seem to be enough "Gentlemen Apologists" now to accomodate a range of topics and interests over time or even concurrently. I know I'd like to study with John Muir, and for a young man of Bryan Smith's generation to read ANYTHING with multisyllable words impresses this ex-teacher to no end! (~8

To conduct conversational evangelism we must be prepared with something to say. People in our day have heard (and mock) pulpit delivery of the gospel. Few of us will speak from a pulpit much but we all meet people one-on-one. While Jesus certainly ministered to the multitudes his ministry to individuals and small groups was no less powerful.

My own personal doubts and a friend who was an atheist.

Ever since I became a born again Christian at age 21 I have had a keen interest in apologetics.  My first book about the subject was "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell, and his follow up works.  I am a graduate of Regent College in Vancouver, and have studied under some Christian luminaries like J. I. Packer.  I also was an avid listener of "The Bible Answer Man" first hosted by Dr. Walter Martin, then Hank Hannegraaff.  I have done work for the Christian Research Institute translating tracts. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Danisatan replied to Brandon's discussion MGTOW
"May I suggest http://www.returnofkings.com/ It seems up your alley. "
16 minutes ago
Thomas Patrick replied to Brandon's discussion MGTOW
"MGTOW is just Feminism for men. It's not women's fault you don't choose partners with a selective eye and end up getting fucked over"
19 minutes ago
Shane replied to Shane's discussion Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse... in the group The Great Debate
"And A14 isn't all inclusive."
37 minutes ago
Shane replied to Shane's discussion Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse... in the group The Great Debate
"Plessy was a states rights issue. The court correctly notes that those trains never left Louisiana. As horrible as the backlash was, they couldn't pull the interstate commerce clause. Which I like. It's unfortunate, but it was…"
46 minutes ago
Will replied to Shane's discussion Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse... in the group The Great Debate
"Which one? You can't be serious about Plessy.  If A14 didn't mean don't put blacks in crappy schools, I don't know what it would mean.  I'll have to brush up on what was Roe and what was Casey."
59 minutes ago
Shane replied to John Muir's discussion Oil in the group The Great Debate
"Some on the right might wish for the Islamic state which saved western civilization. Unlike what we currently have going on."
1 hour ago
Davis replied to Thomas Patrick's discussion 2014 Iron Bowl Predictions
"Roll Tide, Roll!!"
1 hour ago
Thomas Patrick replied to Thomas Patrick's discussion 2014 Iron Bowl Predictions
"Very cool! I don't have any athletes in my family but my uncle taught a class with Pat Sullivan in it when he was in school at Auburn many years ago."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service