Information

Fountain Pens

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.” -Graham Greene This group is for those who love fountain pens.

Members: 419
Latest Activity: 14 hours ago

Discussion Forum

How to display collection

Started by Matthew Perry 14 hours ago. 0 Replies

Where to start a collection?

Started by Matthew Perry. Last reply by Matthew Perry on Thursday. 15 Replies

Ink

Started by EA Burt. Last reply by EA Burt Mar 24. 7 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Fountain Pens to add comments!

Comment by Matthew Perry on July 17, 2014 at 9:29am

Just got a new fountain pen that I truly enjoy. It is ugly but it writes beyond belief. Check out the Lamy Safari if you want a modern pen that won't break the bank. 

Comment by Kevin Collier on April 9, 2014 at 7:19pm

I have used many vintage/used pens and unless it is a feather nib or someone was extremely heavy handed, I have not had a problem with them.

Comment by Dom on April 9, 2014 at 2:30am

If you asked a fountain-pen-"orthodox" or even "fundamentalist", he would say the same. I've also already heard that.

But fact is that I hardly have to hand-write nowadays; and I started to give some of my pens as presents to my nephews/nieces. I just kept 2, one of them is a Parker Slimfold which was not new when I got it, and it works.

If you are a collector, you will hardly find an older model which was not yet used. if you really want to follow this rule, and have a second-hand pen, you may try to change the nib.

Comment by Sam Flint on April 8, 2014 at 3:05pm

Yeah, it's because as you use the pen, the tip of the nib will ever so slightly wear to the writer.  The slightest use by someone else can throw off the angle and make it nearly impossible to use.

Comment by EA Burt on April 8, 2014 at 12:20pm

So other question. Parker said in their little booklet you get with the gift boxed urban fountain pen that no one but the owner should use a fountain pen because the nib will form to their writing style. Any insight into that? I haven't seen anything like that anywhere else on any of the other pens I've gotten.

Comment by Kevin Collier on March 27, 2014 at 7:27pm

No idea here Burt

Comment by EA Burt on March 27, 2014 at 6:49pm

Does anyone know what the Pilot Metropolitan's nib # is??

Comment by Arnold Kelly on January 24, 2014 at 2:53pm

I have a Schrade "Tactical Pen" that came with a fountain point.  Using it quite a lot and it writes surprisingly well.  Waiting for my first Jinhao to come in the mail.  Anyone here a leftie and use a fountain pen, besides me? 

Comment by Clinton R. Ausmus on October 22, 2013 at 8:04pm

I have a Lamy Safari, a Kaweco, and 2 Nemosine.  I know many folks that have Easterbrooks and Mont Blanc, Jinhao, Herlitz, Montegrappa, Visconti, etc...Believe it or not they are the ones that pointed me to the Nemosine Singularity because they enjoy it so much.  I'm not sure where the components come from, but the nib is german and the pen is inspected and assembled here in USA.

If you choose to go that way, I feel confident you will be happy with your choice.

Comment by riffraff on October 22, 2013 at 7:22pm

Some cheap Japanese pens are okay, but you should really bump up a hair in price for your first fountain pen.  A bad one will turn you off fountain pens forever. But a Lamy, a Platinum, a refurbed Parker or Esterbrook (from FPN, for instance) will serve you well, and likely prevent a poor first experience, whilst still remaining relatively inexpensive.

And good fountain pen is a joy to hold and use!

Members (419)

Latest Activity

Pale Horse commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

I Radiate Success

"Maybe "reservation" would be a more fitting word than mercy. Daniel speaks the truth about the cuffs, by the way. Heed his advice."
1 minute ago
Sean O' replied to David F.'s discussion Signed up for the Gym. Asking for a Clue.
"No worries, I get where you are coming from. I was looking at the OP and then the post that said "slowly start inching towards the compound lifts". A relatively healthy person should not have to slowly work towards compound…"
2 minutes ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

I Radiate Success

"Daniel that suit you are wearing in your photo did not cost as much as mine so it is not comparable, I can't see your shoes so thats out of the question. But this isn't about the suit this is about envy and hatred towards me from 95% of…"
2 minutes ago
Pedro Angel Serrano posted a video

Mister Rogers - "Happy Birthday! We Celebrate You!"

Books, toys and DVD's can be found at http://www.shoppbs.org Key word: Mister Rogers You can watch full episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood at http://pbs...
5 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Lon R.'s discussion Contemporary Christian Music in the group Christian Men
"I agree wholeheartedly. Very few CCM songs and groups appeal to me, and when they do, it's because of what Nathanael mentioned. That up-and-coming band For King and Country is a big offender. Saying "Fix my eye-eye, eye-eye-eyes on…"
12 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Rick Shelton's discussion Lifted Jeep
"Jealous!!!!  Looks nice"
12 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Lon R.'s discussion Contemporary Christian Music in the group Christian Men
"Very insightful. When I think of my favorite CCM artists, I too notice that they push the boundaries of CCM and Praise & Worship (think Chris Tomlin, David Crowder)."
17 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Steve Dallas's discussion Michigan fishing in the group Fishermen
"As always, took too much. Got some tackle while there, just used a very light setup and we just slowly trolled each time we went outCaught a couple pike(longest about 19" so I had to throw back, lots of perch(only one keeper) and a couple…"
17 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service