Information

Fountain Pens

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.” -Graham Greene This group is for those who love fountain pens.

Members: 420
Latest Activity: on Thursday

Discussion Forum

Anne Frank's Fountain Pen

Started by EA Burt. Last reply by Jonathan Stone on Wednesday. 3 Replies

Getty/Dubay and the fountain pen

Started by Jonathan Stone. Last reply by Kevin Collier Sep 2. 1 Reply

What type of filling system is this called?

Started by Matthew Perry. Last reply by Kevin Collier Jul 27. 4 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Fountain Pens to add comments!

Comment by Kevin Collier on August 23, 2014 at 4:25pm

Tha Al-stars and Safaris have a devoted following. Be warned! You may be assimilated!

Comment by EA Burt on August 23, 2014 at 3:48pm

I just got the Lamy Al-Star in Ocean Blue with a fine nib. Unique yet aesthetic in design. It may be my favorite thus far. Works beautifully with a Moleskine.

Comment by Matthew Perry on July 17, 2014 at 9:29am

Just got a new fountain pen that I truly enjoy. It is ugly but it writes beyond belief. Check out the Lamy Safari if you want a modern pen that won't break the bank. 

Comment by Kevin Collier on April 9, 2014 at 7:19pm

I have used many vintage/used pens and unless it is a feather nib or someone was extremely heavy handed, I have not had a problem with them.

Comment by Dom on April 9, 2014 at 2:30am

If you asked a fountain-pen-"orthodox" or even "fundamentalist", he would say the same. I've also already heard that.

But fact is that I hardly have to hand-write nowadays; and I started to give some of my pens as presents to my nephews/nieces. I just kept 2, one of them is a Parker Slimfold which was not new when I got it, and it works.

If you are a collector, you will hardly find an older model which was not yet used. if you really want to follow this rule, and have a second-hand pen, you may try to change the nib.

Comment by Sam Flint on April 8, 2014 at 3:05pm

Yeah, it's because as you use the pen, the tip of the nib will ever so slightly wear to the writer.  The slightest use by someone else can throw off the angle and make it nearly impossible to use.

Comment by EA Burt on April 8, 2014 at 12:20pm

So other question. Parker said in their little booklet you get with the gift boxed urban fountain pen that no one but the owner should use a fountain pen because the nib will form to their writing style. Any insight into that? I haven't seen anything like that anywhere else on any of the other pens I've gotten.

Comment by Kevin Collier on March 27, 2014 at 7:27pm

No idea here Burt

Comment by EA Burt on March 27, 2014 at 6:49pm

Does anyone know what the Pilot Metropolitan's nib # is??

Comment by Arnold Kelly on January 24, 2014 at 2:53pm

I have a Schrade "Tactical Pen" that came with a fountain point.  Using it quite a lot and it writes surprisingly well.  Waiting for my first Jinhao to come in the mail.  Anyone here a leftie and use a fountain pen, besides me? 

Members (420)

Latest Activity

ShirtlessGeorge commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"I leave my shirt off anytime I can get away with it"
7 minutes ago
ShirtlessGeorge replied to Rick Stevens's discussion Working Outside Shirtless in the group The Shirtless Man
"I've done yard work shirtless lots of times, and then I will leave my shirt off for the rest of the day"
29 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Regular Joe's discussion To circumcise or not to circumcise . . .
"It's about circumcision, not prince alberts"
38 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Clinton Brown's discussion Writing like a man
"I would suggest you read some more contemporary "popular" history. MacCullough's works are eminently readable, as are Foote's.  If you need to write eloquent history, you need to read eloquent history. "
41 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Viktor Lind's discussion A (soon to be) mans first drink
"Well, G&Ts are an easy to like drink, fizzy and a bit sweet."
45 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Viktor Lind's discussion A (soon to be) mans first drink
"Heck, I was just thinking of something that is an adult drink, but likely palatable for someone who hasn't made acquaintance with either the grape or the grain.  "
54 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Regular Joe's discussion To circumcise or not to circumcise . . .
"What the heck? Are we going to have to put a wooden stake through this thread's heart??"
57 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to David Johns's discussion Toilet seat
"..."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service