We've all had times when we just didn't know what to do. Or where to turn. The answers aren't always simple. The responsibility for our loved ones is sometimes, too great.

Where do YOU get your answers, at a time like this? Your best friend, your clergyman, your dad, your brother, and old girlfriend. Post your thoughts on how to handle this age-old dilemma in the life of every "family man".

Tags: family, man

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

I'd really like to hear what other family men have to say. I've been finding that I'm at my wits ends more often than not lately and I know it's affecting me as a husband and a father.

Part of my problem is that I don't have anyone to turn to (cry me a river right?). I often times want to turn to my wife but sometimes she's the source of frustration and I don't want to make matters worse.

Now that I'm a member here I'll be coming to you guys instead.
d
Tyler Wainright said:
I'd really like to hear what other family men have to say. I've been finding that I'm at my wits ends more often than not lately and I know it's affecting me as a husband and a father.

Part of my problem is that I don't have anyone to turn to (cry me a river right?). I often times want to turn to my wife but sometimes she's the source of frustration and I don't want to make matters worse.

Now that I'm a member here I'll be coming to you guys instead.

Hi Tyler,
We've ALL been there, and you are correct. You can't ALWAYS turn to the wife. I hope you'll be able to come here for help, but another great resource is in the "Forums" section. There is a category named "Relationships and Family". I've gotten a lot of good advice from the guys, on a variety of issues over the last few months.
The gym I go to is like a quiet sanctum. It is a small room with a few benches, squat rack, and a few machines. It is very quiet except for the clanking and rattling of the weights. I've crafted strategies and angles there without distraction. Also I have used exercise as a manner of self-flagellation when I have felt self destructive and it was redirected into making me stronger. Many times my friends can't relate to my problems and I hate burdening my family (parents/sisters) with my problems. So thats my deal.
James said:
The gym I go to is like a quiet sanctum....

Well, I wish mine was "a quiet sanctum". It's located in this huge space, that used to be a Lowe's Hardware SuperCenter. The damn thing is more like going to a Disco, for heaven's sake!
The gym that I use is in the downstairs back room of my local recreation center. I will set the weights and on many days that I don't rerack them (I know I knw, its a sin) they are still set for my circuits when I come back! You may have some chance of finding something similar.
I seem to just stick it out. Eventually the issue blows over, or your head clears and you can think straight. The solution will come, just leave it on the back burner for a while.

I don't think this will work for everybody, but it seems to work for me. I think it had to do with the resilience of my personality.
Joseph Freeman said:
I seem to just stick it out. Eventually the issue blows over, or your head clears and you can think straight. The solution will come, just leave it on the back burner for a while.

I don't think this will work for everybody, but it seems to work for me. I think it had to do with the resilience of my personality.

I've tried that on occasion, but I don't know, before long it's staring at me again... pleading for attention!
I usually head to the cemetary and talk to my dad. I don't know if it was just the quality of the advice that he gave me when I was younger or the quantity, but I can almost hear his answers and suggestions as I look out at the lake below. Sometimes it's those 'chats' that are the only thing that I think keeps me sane at times.
Sometimes it feels good to get a bunch of stuff out first by listening to really nasty music in the car, and really belting out the lyrics; or focusing with intensity of the issue while really ramping it up on the bike, and going with it. Screaming it out in a private spot (so nobody gets screamed at - thanks, singing lessons) kinda flushes it out. Blasts it out, actually.

Then I talk with a bunch of guys and a bunch of girls I trust, and crack some jokes to keep them engaged and light. Strangers, even- The fact that people care but strangers don't give a damn kinda works, sometimes. Y'know? Anyway, helps get really clear on where I'm at, and what I can do about it.

Helps to get a friend to call a week later, to make sure it gets done; or even to come over and help fix whatever thing.

Flushing and support have been good to me : )
... Then celebrating lol
Todd, Thanks for sharing. Your reflections on your dad honor him; and underscore the place he continues to occupy in your life, today.

Todd Sherwood said:
I usually head to the cemetary and talk to my dad. I don't know if it was just the quality of the advice that he gave me when I was younger or the quantity, but I can almost hear his answers and suggestions as I look out at the lake below. Sometimes it's those 'chats' that are the only thing that I think keeps me sane at times.
Le dauphin, I commend you. Your coping methods are a bit out of the ordinary; but hey, if it works for you... se la vie.

.
Le dauphin said:
Sometimes it feels good to get a bunch of stuff out first by listening to really nasty music in the car, and really belting out the lyrics; or focusing with intensity of the issue while really ramping it up on the bike, and going with it. Screaming it out in a private spot (so nobody gets screamed at - thanks, singing lessons) kinda flushes it out. Blasts it out, actually.

Then I talk with a bunch of guys and a bunch of girls I trust, and crack some jokes to keep them engaged and light. Strangers, even- The fact that people care but strangers don't give a damn kinda works, sometimes. Y'know? Anyway, helps get really clear on where I'm at, and what I can do about it.

Helps to get a friend to call a week later, to make sure it gets done; or even to come over and help fix whatever thing.

Flushing and support have been good to me : )
... Then celebrating lol

RSS

Latest Activity

Andrew replied to James B.'s discussion Just got a girl's number, need some advice
"Exactly what Joe said!  She is clearly interested.  Make sure you have a specific plan for the date. Suggest a day and time but let her ultimately decide that based on her schedule.  FOR GOD"S SAKE do NOT text! "
11 minutes ago
Don Judd replied to Don Judd's discussion Selecting a belt?
"Thanks guys. I didn't realize that braided belts were okay for professional attire.  I also didn't realize the thrift shops were a good place to look for quality belts. We are a small town, and have no cobblers or leather shops here…"
21 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Demetri Martinez's discussion Falling in Love Hurts
"I don't think you're completely correct that there is no "one".  There is a "one", that is the one you feel you want to propose to.  It's not a "one and only" type of thing but one you can…"
30 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Marco Rodrigues's discussion What should I wear for my senior portraits?
"Hasn't it though?  I only took one picture although they asked us to wear suits for the guys and dresses for the girls and the school photographer took the picture.  Now it's "spend thousands trying to get that perfect…"
37 minutes ago
Adam Parker replied to oracle989's discussion Cities? in the group North Carolina
"Hickory area here. Born and raised in Catawba County."
39 minutes ago
Demetri Martinez replied to Al Clunnie's discussion Getting the most out of day to day life
"I have to read through that hell of an article, but I don't mind sharing my thoughts."
40 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Don Judd's discussion Selecting a belt?
"If you can afford it purchase good belts from places like Eddy Bauer or other higher end stores.  The reason is that although you're paying $40 to $50 a belt it will last you much longer.  If a belt at Walmart costs you $20 and over…"
42 minutes ago
Adam Parker joined thehuhman's group
Thumbnail

North Carolina

NORTH CAROLINA..."The State of Man". Welcome to our AoM Group. It's open to all North Carolinians.See More
44 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service