I'm new to The Art of Manliness and as I was reviewing the listings of the various groups I could join, the Explorer's group immediately caught my eye. One of the aspects that drew my attention was the description that this group is for men who "crave to boldly go where no man has gone before!" Star Trek rip aside, I liked the use of the word crave

I believe that humans have an instinctual desire to explore and discover, but the patterns of modern life create situations that make it hard for us to feed that craving. That is why the idea of a place (read group) where we can perhaps evolve and develop this instinct and who knows maybe even sow the seeds to an adventure or two with like-minded individuals appealed to me; which brings me to the topic of this discussion.

I would like to hear your ideas for the next great expedition. Where would you go? What would you do? Who would you take? Why would you do it?

So there it is gentlemen. I challenge you to dream and flex your creative juices and come up with the next great expedition. Who knows, maybe one day some of us can get together and actually bring this idea to fruition and seek out and explore strange new worlds...

Tags: Adventure, Expeditions, Explore

Views: 174

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Charlie and welcome to the Explorers group! I hope you can join in our discussions and most of all share your experiences in exploring new worlds, even if they be worlds that have already been discovered and explored by others!

As for your question I believe it would be too cliché  for me to state that next great adventure for mankind would be a manned mission to Mars so I would suggest another: to explore the moons of the gret gaseous planets! I might be a bit far ahead but I believe that Mankind will eventually get there and when that happens it will be trully one of the greatest adventures in the history of exploration. Unlike Mars which has been surveyed pretty closely by unmanned probes, most of these moons have still a lot to reveal, and some of them promise to be very strange worlds.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I too am looking forward to lively discussion. 

I love and share your apparent passion for space exploration. I think that the many moons of the gas giants offer tremendous potential for all of mankind in many areas; mineral resources, the possibility of extraterrestrial life and maybe someday even colonization. The key to making all of these things possible is IMHO returning to the our moon and establishing a permanent presence there.

This all being said, I think that there are still many exciting expeditions yet to be undertaken right here on Earth. Mysteries here still abound. What say you about the Bermuda Triangle, or the hundreds of sunken ships that have yet to be located, or the many lost cities of the Mayas, or the many wild places that have never seen a footprint? Yes, I agree with you that space and all that it promises will ultimately be the final frontier; but, right now there is still much that we can explore right here at home.

These earthly adventures that I speak of are the ones that ignite my excitement and spark my imagination. They are the adventures that the men right here on this website, that the members of this very group can participate in and launch on their own and undertake in a weekend or during a vacation.

What do you think? Wouldn't it be great if the next great expedition were conceptualized, planned and executed right here by the men of this group? I think that would be awesome.

I agree with you and I also find very apealing the thought of this very group becoming a planing center for real life expeditions. Maybe I'll open a discussion on ideas for feasible explorations for people in this site.

I have always had the same question, I wonder what is "next". I recently heard that the Congo is about as inhospitable as a place can be, and that it has not been fully explored. I also think that our knowledge of the oceans and our diving technology is in its infantile state, we have so much to learn. But I am always trying to think of never before accomplished trips and adventures, I will love to see others' thoughts on this!

RSS

Latest Activity

Will added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Hilary '16

Who is she, anyway?  Where does she fit in the spectrum?Will she try?  And does she have a chance?What made me think of this topic is a video clip I found recently. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/24/Hillary-Dont-Let-Anybody-Tell-You-That-Businesses-Create-JobsSee More
1 hour ago
Aus Man joined Stephen Larsen's group
Thumbnail

Banya Men!

Though they aren't common in the United States, Jjimjilbangs, Banyas, Onsens, and Hamams are a great places to hang out.  This is a group for men comfortable in their own skin and appreciate the eastern ideas of public bath houses.See More
1 hour ago
Will replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
" It's to be less stinky."
2 hours ago
Will replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"without something more specific, ill keep using kjv.  though i get why people fine it too tough."
2 hours ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"My reply was to Regular Joe's post where he called you out for the dumbass game you play. Not sure why that warrants a thank you."
2 hours ago
Will replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"This sounds a little like back to the land or self sufficiency.  Sounds fine to me.  are women welcome?  they are as interested in that kind of thing as men. Mother Earth News used to be a good resource for this sort of thing."
2 hours ago
Josh Allen replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Never heard of Axe Throwing although it sounds interesting I can't see the point in it."
3 hours ago
Josh Allen replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Thank you."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service