A few of my coworkers and I have become quite the lard a**es lately. We work in an IT group and so physical activity is all extra curricular, per se. We are starting the P90X program here at work.

In 2004, I went from 335lbs to 235 in 9 months; most of that came off in the first 90 days thanks to the original power 90 workout. I'm going to do the P90X program and hope for the same results. (I'm in no way affiliated with P90X program other than being a past user of it)

If anyone else wants to start, it's a great program that works.

Views: 2798

Replies to This Discussion

Tried doing p90x last summer but I ended up crapping out about halfway through. Looking forward to trying again this summer definitely.
Great stuff. I've not used P90X for myself, but it is a sound programand has provided a lot of people great results. Losing 100 pounds is a great achievement. Congrats.
A soon-to-be in-law uses P90X and loves it. He and his wife have gotten much stronger and lost weight using this program. Good luck to you and your co-workers Steven!

PS - I'm a fellow IT employee so I can attest that our job is the definition of physical activity-less!
just started this program myself 2 weeks ago and really like it so far.
I'm about two weeks shy of completing P90X. My wife and I are doing it together, and we have both had great results. Having a workout partner is important--to help you push yourself and to keep you accountable.

I would highly recommend the program!
My sister and her husband have been on the P90X program for about a month. Neither were extremely out of shape when they started but they are noticeably in better shape today. He lost about 15 pounds in three weeks.

I am in good shape myself and did the chest/shoulders/tris workout with them on Friday and the plyo workout on Saturday. I am very sore (in a good way) after the plyo workout. This program seems like one that will work well.
I sort of tried P90x last summer. I didn't have the money to fork over for the DVD's. A friend who had the program just gave me a list of the exercises and showed me how to do them. I created my own little program from that. Despite not being the "real" workout, it still kicked my butt. I only lasted a couple of weeks and then I started something else.

I still want to do the real deal, though.
I am currently working on my Bachelors in IT plan on doing that when get out of Army got any good tips?

Craig said:
A soon-to-be in-law uses P90X and loves it. He and his wife have gotten much stronger and lost weight using this program. Good luck to you and your co-workers Steven!

PS - I'm a fellow IT employee so I can attest that our job is the definition of physical activity-less!
Hey all,

I am almost through my second 90-day round of P90X. Awesome, awesome, awesome. It has re-awakened my interest in fitness. The workouts are tough, especially at the beginning, but the results will come. It seems the hardest thing about the program is sticking with it. I started at 187 lbs and 17% bodyfat, and after 90 days was down to 179 and 13%. I've since dropped to 12% while keeping my weight the same. Strength, cardio, flexibility...this program has it all. I'm moving up to X+ (the next level) for round 3.

Disclosure: I'm not a Beachbody coach, but I do have an informal arrangement with my coach regarding any new customers I send his way. That said, I do the workouts and tell people about them because they work, not so that I can make any dough at it. I'm happy to help anyone looking to take on this challenge, or any of the other Beachbody stuff (Power 90, Turbo Jam, etc). Good luck and stick with it!

Scott
Chris,

I agree that home workouts can be boring, and after watching the same DVDs over and over, you get to know the lines by heart. While I never did Power 90, I can say that I only got bored with P90X once, about 60 days into my first round. I don't know why, but I just seemed to lose my motivation. Fortunately, I was in a Facebook group and got some encouragement to keep going. Since then, I've been in a good place, motivation-wise. Seeing some really good results also helps keep me motivated.

Without sounding like a sales pitch, one of the keys in P90X to avoid boredom is "muscle confusion". While this is meant to give your muscles a constantly evolving workload, it also makes things more interesting. Here's a sample week:

Monday: Chest and back. Pullups and pushups for the most part. Not boring because it's not easy.
Tuesday: Plyometrics. An hour of high-impact cardio. This is the hardest P90X workout, and it's the only one I couldn't finish the first couple of weeks.
Wednesday: Shoulders and Arms. Glamour muscles. What's not to like?
Thursday: Yoga. Ok, everyone I know who does this program hates yoga. Maybe I'm just weird, but I love it. It works strength, flexibility and endurance, and is a great break from the weights workouts.
Friday: Legs and back. Lots of squats and lunges, plus more pullups.
Saturday: Kenpo. An hour of cardio kickboxing

As you can see, every day is very different. This really helps with the boredom. Also, in month 2, you swap out some workouts for new ones. Then in month 3, you're changing the routine every week. There's also one "recovery week" a month, where you do different workouts.

If you get tired of Tony's jokes, there's an option for "music only" on the menu. You could also just hit mute and plug in the iPod.

I've seen a bit of Power 90 and to me it looks like a more traditional exercise video with lots of bright lights and smiling people. P90X is very different. It's darker, and the people doing the exercises are really working.

For me, it's been the best fitness decision of my life. If you're interested in it at all, let me know and I can hook you up with my coach. I'm at sgpratt71@gmail.com.

Scott
Alright, a bit late to this discussion, but am considering starting P90X in a few weeks. Is there extra equipment that is needed? I love all the great testimonies about the results. I've also had several friends do the program with great results.
Hey Jonathan,

I hope you do start the program, it's great.

You will need something to do pullups with, so either a bar you can put in a doorway or a set of resistance bands you can hook on a door, kneel on the floor and pull down. You'll also need dumbbells (adjustable are probably best since you may not know what amount of weights you need for various exercises yet), and a yoga mat. That's all.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else!
Scott
www.fitnessinthebalance.com

RSS

Latest Activity

Leto Atreides II replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Perfect. Dead on."
9 minutes ago
Will replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"I'm not sure I full understand the questions here, but if I do, here are a couple of answers: The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.  Rom 14:17 and Signs and wonders shall follow after those…"
52 minutes ago
Ian Wilson replied to Conor Gallagher's discussion Kilts
"i wear a kilt every day.  not the great kilt of course, though i have a couple of those.  nor do i wear the formal dress kilt i got married in, comfortable but it is expensive wool. my daily wear kilts are UtiliKilts."
1 hour ago
Joshua replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"Signs and wonders are probably part of it, though not a part I've necessarily looked for, and therefore have perhaps been unaware of any happenings.  It seems to me more of a matter of the world, over time, becoming more and more in line…"
1 hour ago
Will replied to Conor Gallagher's discussion Kilts
"That picture is da bomb. Seriously:  no kilt.  Even if I were Scottish and not cold:  kilts are expensive."
1 hour ago
John White commented on John White's blog post where are the decent women?
"no comments about the dating scene?"
2 hours ago
John replied to Nick's discussion Th lonely life of full-time pastors
"i agree...i go to a liturgical church where we have support "canon pastors" to specially look after the pastoral needs of priests and deacons. They each have spiritual directors as well, the person that helps them with prayer life. Its not…"
2 hours ago
N. Vest replied to Conor Gallagher's discussion Kilts
"one word . . . "slivers""
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service