Ideally, all of the existing threads concerning what should be carried in a man's pockets on a daily basis.  Since I do not possess the administrative power to do so, I encourage you to repost your photos here so we can try and consolidate everything.

That being said, what's in your pockets?  Lists are fine but pictures are much better. 

Views: 26504

Replies to This Discussion

I have that same model Old Timer knife, they are high carbon steel and will take much sharper edge than even the finest stainless steels very high prized knives are made of. I am not comfortabel with striker fired pisotls though for carry.

Of course my daily carry in sense is none as do not even carry a wallet unless I leave my ranch. I do not even carry my pistol every time I leave my place  (I have a CCW) which is almost weekly too.

But in the sleeve pocket on my M!A flight jacket is a space blanket, old timer like yours, 2 lighters, a Triox fuel bar, a flashlight and granola bara 6 oz water pack and green cylume. It bulges slightlybut if I put on that jacket I always have that stuff with me.

The whole reason I chose the Taurus Millennium is that its a 45, and fits in the top pocket of my work pants with being noticed. The 1911 compacts wont do that and even it they did, the hammer would catch on the pull.. 

THis is why I feel striker fired pistols have resurfaced as popular designs after the Glock showed that new generation of US gun buyers would purchase striker fired pistol. But the striker mechansim is inherently more dangerious to carry of course than a DA auto with an external hammer.

I know it sacrledge for some for me to point this out but as a once well paid terminal ballistic researcher myself I know the .45 ACP lacks the stopping power people imgine it has.

At 850 fps it just is too slow to make soft point ammo expand in such a way as to produce a good TSC distribution.

I interviwed 4 people shot point blank in the head with .45 ACP with no serious ill affects and several  that were shot multiple times in the center of mass with the .45 ACP and not be stopped at all. Here is one of the interviews I did I put it up on the net at

http://vimeo.com/31172405

The .45 ACP is a better manstopper than a .38 special or 380 auto, but not quite as good as 9mm in JHP. This is becasue a 9mm at 1,150 fps can expand to form a good TSC distribution but a .45 acp while it will expand won't have the velocity to propagate a decent TSC distibution though rarely it will..

Most stoppiing powerin a handgun of large caliber comes from hydrostatic shock that ruputres tissue never touched by the bullet. The ideal is the .357 Magnum JHP in 158 grains, that cartrige can't be beat for stopping power. I

f you up the weight or velocty of that .357 you lose stopping power and enter the realm of the .44 Magnum and .41 magnum that are not as good of manstoppers as the .357 at all. The .45 acp is not really even in the running here.

The 40 SW has far better stopping power than the .45 ACP but also has some serious recoil too where the .45 acp to me is a light recoil pistol.

But people stop attacking mostly for pscychological reasons anyway rather than medical ones, to put it simply they stop attacking because they do not want to be shot anymore.

This is the real paradox too, I recorded more instant stops with the lowly .22 lr rimfire than any other single cartridge. Of course more people are shot with little pocket .22 s also.

And I carry a light 9X18 Makrov in JHP and it is  just bit hotter than .380 ACP. I can have it my front jeans pocket with 'pocket holdter' that elminates printing ands have it in my hand in instant.

I do not see the point in carrying a heavy caliner large pistol CCW wise really. But rarely if the potential situation 'tells my gut' to do so I carry the giant 9mm Berretta 92 F with 15 rds of JHP.

The one i wonder is why so many guys have more than one pocket knife, I carry a  small swiss army pocket knife that i've had for the last 18 years that I use for work and it covers most enventualities. surely all of the extra weight starts to drag your trousers down? 

A pocket knife genrally is not a legal problem in most jurisdictions. But let me point this out and jurisdiction are quite different so know your State Law.

I do not always carry my pistol though I am licensed to do so. However, I always carry my Cold Steel Voyager folding knife the blade is about 5 inches and is serrrated with a Tanto point.

Serrations, especially modern, well designed ones allow a knife to cut at any strike angle. Most people think any sharp knife will cut, but cutting only occurs as the sharp edge of the blade is 'drawn across' the flesh or material being cut.

Serrations draw the material up and pinch and present it to the cutting edge automaticaly.This is why no non-serrated edge no matter what the material it is made of or how sharply it is 'sharpened', can cut as well and easily and or as reliably as a modern serrated blade.

For example decades ago to show the 'priciple of cutting ' a razor sharp Samurai sword was used to cut a watermelon without moving the top half cut off from the bottom half. 

Then the sword was used with power to strike the naked stomach of person and it bounced off not really cutting him at all as the control of the blade was such that the blade was not traversed acroos the skin at all. Their mightsometimes be a slight red mark.

If I am facing four large determined but otherwise unarmed men intent on killing me and I have that Cold Steel Voyager in my hand, then those 4 guys are facing a terrible sitiuation and they could all be cut fataly before they even knew I had a knife. I do not call this an 'art' but it is based on simple martial principles.The knife is a contact wepon yes while pisol is aprojectile weapon, but the knife is potetially deadlier and quicker manstoper than a pistol too.

Here is the thing legally speaking, if you carry a knife for self-defense do not carry more than one, a Swiss Army knife is not a  self defense tool so you might get away with thatan a SD knife.

But here is how many cops think. If they find a knife on you they like personally  they might just 'confiscatte it' for themsleves and thus not charge you with anything. Cops like knives.

But if they find a SD knife on you, then a neck knife or worse yet another edged wespon then they are going to arrest you and hold you to find out who you are. They will often identify you as a potetial 'psycho knifer' and arrest you if you have more than one SD blade on you.

With regards to carrying more than one knife, it's always good to have a backup for all essential equipment, as one could get lost, broken, lent out, or whatever. Some guys carry a small knife that won't alarm people, and a larger knife for social emergencies. Some carry a SAK or multi-tool (that happens to have a blade or two on it) in addition to a real knife for any real cutting. I carry two knives- one on my strong side for cutting tasks or anything else, and one weak side for backup or weapon retention.

As far as whether that would get me arrested, I pay attention to the laws in my jurisdiction, and I obey them. I don't expect that doing so would get me arrested too often. In some jurisdictions, carrying a knife "with the intent to go armed," or "for offense or defense" is illegal, and a lot of guys carry a tactical folder and hope to explain it away as a common pocket knife/tool - two knives would cause problems in that situation.

I agree with you fundamentally here MedusaOblongata. carrying a knife "with the intent to go armed," is a key legal concept that is not present in my Colorado jusridction.

But your quite correct that people know their local laws here. If oyu live in a jurisdiction that has this "carrying a knife "with the intent to go armed,"  law, then any police offcier can arrest you on the basis of carrying the knife "carrying a knife "with the intent to go armed," Intent is in the mind and thus fully subjective.

Real Zippos aren't that expensive. Check eBay for good deals. Bics are reliable and cheap, but Zippos have style. And if you want to smoke in style, get a few cigarette cases to fill before you leave the house, and never be seen with a generic cardboard box of cigs again.

More EDC discussion at EDCForums.com than here.

Kyle,

If you send that Zippo back to them they will fix at no charge. Will even put in new case if needed, usually they will replace the insert. Let me know if you need more info.

*Handkerchief

*Black leather bi-fold wallet

*Timex Weekender

*Zebra F-701 ballpoint

*Streamlight Microstream

*SanRenMu 710 folding knife

*Samsung Intercept [Android]

*Stainless steel ring

*Hardware keychain

+keys

+Swiss quick release keyfob (for easy removal of multi-tool) holding Leatherman Squirt PS4

My EDC has been updated since I last posted here, and is currently in the process of being updated even further. Right now, I carry:

Wallet (cheap leather wallet from a garage sale)

Parker fountain pen

Pencil

Phone (Nokia C1-01)

Keys

Four AA batteries

I need to buy a watch and a notepad, which will set me back at least £130.

I carry them because, occasionally, I will need some. I was with a friend, it was 11pm, so all stores were closed, and we were playing video games. The batteries in his controller died, and there were none in the house, thus the batteries were extremely useful.

In short, I carry them because if I don't have them I will inevitably need them.

RSS

Latest Activity

Steve Cole joined Jordan's group
Thumbnail

Creative Professionals

A group for men in creative professions to share work and advice with one another. Graphic designers, artists, actors, writers and filmmakers welcome!
27 minutes ago
Steve Cole joined Slacker's group
Thumbnail

Writers

A place for writers to discuss and critique projects.
28 minutes ago
Steve Cole updated their profile
29 minutes ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Regular Joe's discussion How To Spot An AoM Noob
"Thinks Josh is 'thinks outside the box'"
45 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Pale Horse's discussion Pre-Adamic Age in the group Christian Men
"I liked the Fargo movie a lot so I figured I'll probably like the show."
2 hours ago
Danny j pasichnyk commented on TrekkinDave's group Men In Nursing
"Any critical care nurses here?"
2 hours ago
Jack Bauer replied to Pale Horse's discussion Pre-Adamic Age in the group Christian Men
"I heard they talked about an SOA/ Justified crossover, but figured one of the two main characters would have to be dead by the end. I liked Fargo. Has the very regional small town law enforcement angle in common w/ Justified. JB"
2 hours ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Pre-Adamic Age in the group Christian Men
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service