6-y-o has a Lent stretch to pray for someone each day.  He's done it twice, sort of:

"I hope my friend ____ is a good boy/doesn't get sick/whatever"

which is not exactly a prayer.

My thought at this point is to say, "I hope so too.  Now let's ask God to make it happen."  And then I do it.

Any further thoughts?

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

I would definitely have him pray, and you teach/facilitate.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."

I was brought up using the 'teaspoon' prayer, tsp (like in cookery books) Thank you, Sorry, Please

You could link that into the Lord's prayer (Matthew 6:9–13)
Thank you: Like worshiping God:
"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name."

Sorry: Recognising where you've gone your own way and not God's way:
"Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Please:
"Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"

But in answer to your question, how can your son be more specific:  Maybe drawing, or modeling with Play Doh, the person he wants to pray for would focus his mind more on what is going on in their lives, what they need, etc?

There's also the ACTS model - 

Adoration 

Confession 

Thanks 

Supplication 

In my faith we are generally taught this model of prayer:

Address the Father: "Dear Heavenly Father...", "Our Father in Heaven...", etc.

Express thankfulness: "Thank you for the blessings we have received...", "We are grateful for...", etc.

Ask: "Please bless us with...", "We ask thee to forgive us for...", "Please bless So and so as they struggle with...", etc.

Close in Christ's name: "In Jesus' name. Amen.", "In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.", etc.

The prayer can be as long or as short as the person praying desires it to be. It by no means tells anyone how or what they should pray about, and even following this model, prayers can become repetitious. However, it is simple enough that for one learning to pray, it is easy to follow, and open enough for the seasoned suplicator to adapt it to their needs.

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"Daggumit, Shane, read Dune."
9 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Or better yet, think of the people who unironically have waifus!"
11 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Wow, congratulations. My goal is just to have a more healthful diet. I am not overweight, but I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know eventually when I'm older that eating junk food will have greater consequences. Thanks for the…"
11 minutes ago
"Good point on changing the mindset. I think most of us have an "I shouldn't" frame of mind rather than an "I don't" frame of mind, at least when it comes to vices. I'm not sure I want to watch one of those…"
15 minutes ago
"Same here, an ice cold coke is one of the best things on earth. Mexican coke is more expensive here too, so maybe if I only drink that I'll cut down out of monetary necessity!"
19 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"If Shane and Clinton have united against you, its time to stop and think about your life."
22 minutes ago
Sir replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"It's always possible to put spin on.  Doesn't mean much, though."
22 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"You completely missed the point..."
27 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service