We have (nearly) arrived at the end of Lent!   If you are so inclined, please share how it went for you.  Was it successful? What did you do? Did you grow in faith or improve your relationship with God or was it more, "Eh, I persevered."

Normally I'd start us off but my experience was pretty negative and I don't want that to taint the discussion at the onset.

Views: 69

Replies to This Discussion

Mine was good.  I felt like it hit that sweet spot where it stretched me, but was neither too easy nor so difficult that I wanted to give up.

Functionally, prayer time went up, tv/movie time went down, exercise stayed about level.  I restarted reading Ralph Martin's The Fulfillment of All Desire.  It's a synthesis of many saints' teachings on the spiritual life.  Last time I tried, I got about 3-4 chapters into the book and felt like I wasn't ready for it yet.

All in all, pretty good. I could always do better & should. One thing I have enjoyed doing has been going to Stations of the Cross every Friday.

I have gotten a better understanding of what each of the Mysteries (particularly the Sorrowful ones) mean, and how I should observe them to feel more in tune with God. But heh, that's completely outside what I had planned for Lent. So I guess mine was a bit of a Flop.

I feel I experienced some spiritual growth.  I made some progress working on a few things related to being more accepting and forgiving. 

I was hit with two medical issues right at the onset. Dealing with those were a huge distraction. I felt as if I were going through the motions. Something like, "I've got to focus on these health issues and oh, yeah, I'm doing this for lent too."

One issue is taken care of, for now. The other I am still struggling with.

I'm sorry to hear that you went & are going through some health issues. Personally I think life & faith are not always going to be smooth sailing & great. We all have those times when the elements shake us at our core. I think the only thing you can do is remember & trust that you have a good foundation built on sturdy ground. And when you are done weathering the storm, you just rebuild on that foundation. I just told someone this yesterday who was going through a hard time...I think God puts the garbage & jerks in our life, so we know the the good times & good people when we see it. I pray that you feel better. God bless & happy Easterj

First, I think it's great that AoM has a Catholic group, and I'm really glad I found it. 

You know I really honestly think lent was really successful for me this year. I'm a revert, and I got confirmed a year ago, so this was my second full lent. Last year I gave up swearing and it really helped me tame my mouth. This year I gave up alcohol, and soda, and it was really great, I've been growing in my faith steadily, it always makes me feel better when I really got into and knew the purpose of giving things up. Yeah they may have not been serious things, but they were stuff that I was constantly being tempted to have so I really felt like I was really giving something up. 

I as well gave up soda. I also did some evangelical work to try to get some of my friends to come to church with me. I think it went well. 

On Alcohol, I don't drink. But my grandpa was an alcoholic before he passed away but my mom and dad tell me that every lent he would go cold turkey for the entire season. Which is very impressive and good proof for the power of faith.

I hear ya. I heard Troy Paulumalu of the Steelers, gives up sex during lent. Especially if one can give up alcohol who is used to drinking,  it's a pretty decent feat . 

My stretch was morning prayer.  I rarely remembered.  Next year I think I'll not do something, instead.  Unless I can get a way to a more regular schedule.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"I got some bathroom tipps for you "
49 minutes ago
Tyler M. replied to MarutiaOrtia's discussion Weapons of war – how to prevent surprise attacks?
"Did this just turn from an actual discussion topic to a shameless hardcore plug a month later...?"
2 hours ago
Wes Stringfellow updated their profile
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"Sorry, just couldn't help myself with that one."
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"OH!  A Hobbit-hole in The Shire.  But where does one rent an underground apartment with a round door this side of Cheyenne Mountain?"
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Harry Mcgrath's discussion Finding a Taylor
"And Justice of the Peace, and Court Commissioner."
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Jack Brenner's discussion Colleague out of line?
"Welcome to the real world.  Don't waste too much time worrying about him.  The reality is this:  He's going to screw up something big enough so's his first bounce will be half a block down when he gets booted.  OR…"
3 hours ago
Jason commented on Jeff Sandstrom's group Minnesota
"I spent 4 years going to St Olaf does that make me Minnesotan enough :)"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service