We have (nearly) arrived at the end of Lent!   If you are so inclined, please share how it went for you.  Was it successful? What did you do? Did you grow in faith or improve your relationship with God or was it more, "Eh, I persevered."

Normally I'd start us off but my experience was pretty negative and I don't want that to taint the discussion at the onset.

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

Mine was good.  I felt like it hit that sweet spot where it stretched me, but was neither too easy nor so difficult that I wanted to give up.

Functionally, prayer time went up, tv/movie time went down, exercise stayed about level.  I restarted reading Ralph Martin's The Fulfillment of All Desire.  It's a synthesis of many saints' teachings on the spiritual life.  Last time I tried, I got about 3-4 chapters into the book and felt like I wasn't ready for it yet.

All in all, pretty good. I could always do better & should. One thing I have enjoyed doing has been going to Stations of the Cross every Friday.

I have gotten a better understanding of what each of the Mysteries (particularly the Sorrowful ones) mean, and how I should observe them to feel more in tune with God. But heh, that's completely outside what I had planned for Lent. So I guess mine was a bit of a Flop.

I feel I experienced some spiritual growth.  I made some progress working on a few things related to being more accepting and forgiving. 

I was hit with two medical issues right at the onset. Dealing with those were a huge distraction. I felt as if I were going through the motions. Something like, "I've got to focus on these health issues and oh, yeah, I'm doing this for lent too."

One issue is taken care of, for now. The other I am still struggling with.

I'm sorry to hear that you went & are going through some health issues. Personally I think life & faith are not always going to be smooth sailing & great. We all have those times when the elements shake us at our core. I think the only thing you can do is remember & trust that you have a good foundation built on sturdy ground. And when you are done weathering the storm, you just rebuild on that foundation. I just told someone this yesterday who was going through a hard time...I think God puts the garbage & jerks in our life, so we know the the good times & good people when we see it. I pray that you feel better. God bless & happy Easterj

First, I think it's great that AoM has a Catholic group, and I'm really glad I found it. 

You know I really honestly think lent was really successful for me this year. I'm a revert, and I got confirmed a year ago, so this was my second full lent. Last year I gave up swearing and it really helped me tame my mouth. This year I gave up alcohol, and soda, and it was really great, I've been growing in my faith steadily, it always makes me feel better when I really got into and knew the purpose of giving things up. Yeah they may have not been serious things, but they were stuff that I was constantly being tempted to have so I really felt like I was really giving something up. 

I as well gave up soda. I also did some evangelical work to try to get some of my friends to come to church with me. I think it went well. 

On Alcohol, I don't drink. But my grandpa was an alcoholic before he passed away but my mom and dad tell me that every lent he would go cold turkey for the entire season. Which is very impressive and good proof for the power of faith.

I hear ya. I heard Troy Paulumalu of the Steelers, gives up sex during lent. Especially if one can give up alcohol who is used to drinking,  it's a pretty decent feat . 

My stretch was morning prayer.  I rarely remembered.  Next year I think I'll not do something, instead.  Unless I can get a way to a more regular schedule.

RSS

Latest Activity

Satanist Dan added a discussion to the group AoM Secrets and Mysteries
Thumbnail

Rituals of a supportive nature.

When one hears of the occult, mythologies, and "pagan" religion, coming from the Christianized western world, it's not a good thing that comes to mind. It is, however, that most occult persons align themselves with "White magic", and even Satanism has a Ritual of Compassion, attached below... But I've done many rituals of compassion, and in the end even if you're not a MAGIC MISSILE person, it's still very comforting to one that someone took time out of their lives, did a ritual - a set…See More
1 hour ago
Stein replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Saw St . Vincent last weekend with Bill Murray in a fantastic role. So Fury the week before. Could not keep my eyes off the screen."
2 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"It's really just a prayer request. If you don't mind taking a few seconds to stop and pray for me and keeping my emotions in check I guess that would be greatly appreciated. And I will pray for anything you need also. Sorry if the main…"
2 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"Haha as helpful as that would be, prayers will suffice I'm sure. But I will think about this comment before I do anything too douchey."
3 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"In my opinion, I see Christianity as great fire insurance, but it's way more than that. If you're being moral, then you want to help everyone. If you want to help everyone then you want to carry out the Great Commission (go and make…"
3 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth added a discussion to the group Christian Men
Thumbnail

Prayers and Ideas for struggling men.

I know this isn't your typical theological question, but I feel it can be helpful. I personally need some prayer. I am struggling with guidance. I seem go be having some relationship trouble. I firmly believe God put this woman in my life to be wife one day (when funds and scheduling allow), but I keep picking fights about stupid things. I would like some prayer for guidance and how I should act. Thanks guys. I hope this thread ends up being a way for all of us guys to ask for some prayers.
3 hours ago
Paul Martin replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"Dreams happen my friend. I to have had an erotic dream focused on a woman from a long time ago that I never had a relationship with. Meditate on it, dreams are merely a symbol that only you can decode."
3 hours ago
benson marco posted a status
""
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service