I am 17, and I am really interested in cigars. It is not due to peer pressure or because I have seen others do it. None of my immediate family smokes cigars, and neither do any of my friends. My father smokes cigarettes, which I would never touch, but I love everything about cigars. The atmosphere associated with it, the aroma (amazing!), and the taste. Yes, I have tried cigars before, but I by no means have the knowledge to discuss them. I understand the health risks, and I have read many studies from legitimate AND questionable sources, but all seem to come to the same conclusions.

I think of myself as a responsible young adult. Of course I do and try things associated with being a teenager, but I do so in the most responsible and safe way possible, I do have a set of morals and a set of limits which I adhere to strictly. I am thought of as the "father figure" in my circle of friends(in the best way possible =P). But I also believe I am mature enough to make a decision like this on my own.

So my question, the legal age to buy tobacco aside, when did you begin smoking cigars? Do you think there is a minimum age someone must be to be able to hand them a cigar? For the fathers, what do you think of your hobby, and is it something you would pass on to your son/daughter should they want to try it? How old would they have to be to try it. Of course, this is a question of opinion, not set in stone rule.

Cheers,
Matt

Views: 3408

Replies to This Discussion

So my question, the legal age to buy tobacco aside, when did you begin smoking cigars?

3 years ago when I quit smoking cigarettes. I was approx 35, but I had dabbled in cigars in my early 20's.

Do you think there is a minimum age someone must be to be able to hand them a cigar?

For the fathers, what do you think of your hobby, and is it something you would pass on to your son/daughter should they want to try it?

No. But I won't stop them. If they are of legal age to buy and smoke, so be it.

How old would they have to be to try it?

Smoking for me is relaxation, something that helps me unwind from a busy day. Cigars are a very expensive habit. And don't tell me otherwise, it is a habit. I'm addicted to the relaxation, the ritual, the camaraderie, not the nicotine. I also smoke a pipe, same ideas apply. I'm not saying don't do it, but enter into it legally, hell your one year away (or less). And find a good smoke shop with some good fellows/mentors you will learn a lot, both about cigars and life.
So my question, the legal age to buy tobacco aside, when did you begin smoking cigars?

I didn't smoke my first "good" cigar until I was 30. I quit smoking cigarettes after college, and tried a few cheap bad cigars over the years, but didn't start to enjoy them until I discovered what a good cigar could taste like.

Do you think there is a minimum age someone must be to be able to hand them a cigar?

Generally - when they are of legal age to vote. Obviously within each family, the parents would be the gauge of if their children were mature enough, and the parents able to deal with it earlier. Their call, not mine.

For the fathers, what do you think of your hobby, and is it something you would pass on to your son/daughter should they want to try it? How old would they have to be to try it.

I am not a father yet. I don't know that I would encourage this particular habit - but I couldn't in good faith actively discourage it either. So - probably 18, when the child is old enough to buy their own smokes - my goal will be to get them to like ones they can only afford to buy on rare occasions. :) Ditto on alcohol. Teach them the difference between the good and the bad, and hope they prefer it enough to avoid the cheap stuff altogether - drinking to enjoy the beverage, and not to get drunk.
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I am almost of the legal age, and I plan on waiting until I am 18 to get into it (only a couple of months really). I was just asking further opinions, I know some that began smoking with their father at 16. Many people begin cigarettes at 14 or 15. My point is, it is not hard to get, I just think I'll wait till I can make my own choice and not have to work around the system for it.

I understand it is a habit, you enjoy the way it makes you feel, its a mental addiction, just like biting your nails. It is not a physical addiction so I am not too worried about not being able to stop heh.

Liam I totally agree with what you are saying. It's all about moderation. You can do it for relaxation and then you can get out of hand. I trust myself enough to be able to enjoy the benefits and stay safe, without risking serious harm to my body.

Thanks for the answers guys, keep 'em coming
I'm 20, less than a month away from 21. I've been smoking cigars and a pipe since I was 18. Technically I had my first smoke when I was 17 but it was crap and cheap and I stop that idea almost the second it was conceived. I then eagerly awaited my birthday, on which I went out with my older brother and purchased a good, quality cigar. I then smoked it in the company of friends and enjoyed every moment of it. Sometime after that was when I purchased my pipe. That is now my favorite. Relaxing, classy, and elegant, and of course manly.

You seems to have a good head on your shoulders. You're being smart and waiting until 18. Really there's no point in breaking the law over something silly like tobacco anyway. So, as one "young buck" to another, go ahead, go out and buy yourself a good cigar on your birthday and live your life. It is your life after all, and as long as you are responsible about it, there's no reason not to go for it.

I like what you said about cigarettes. Your father smokes, them and you won't touch them. Smart move. My father chews tobacco, and it's revolting. In a way your father has taught you a valuable lesson here, what NOT to do. Remember that.
I was 15 when my father presented me with my first cigar, an Ashton mangnum. I have been smoking cigars ever since. I see no problem with a responsible young person smoking cigars. There are some guidelines though. Don't go around telling all your friends at school about how you smoke cigars and how you now know everything about cigars because you smoked a couple. Nobody appreciates a smart mouth, and by doing so you just come of as another foolish teenager. Also, don't try and hide it from your parents, if they disapproved and you are still living under their roof, obey their wishes. The best relationships I have made were from the guys I met at a local cigar shop.
I was freshly 18 when i walked into a local tobacconist and purchased a box of cigars (Romeo y Julieta Maduro's), an expensive purchase but I was still living with my parents so I had money I could burn. =p I had a sampling of cigars shortly before i made the purchase and liked the maduro the best.

Age only matters when you are under 18, and also if the parents approve or disapprove.

You may also be interested in smoking a pipe as well, as i started smoking cigars and was then struck by the curiosity of a pipe.

RSS

Latest Activity

Will replied to Jack Brenner's discussion 6 Month Anniversary
"If people want to celebrate love and commitment, how could I possibly object?"
5 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Jack Brenner's discussion 6 Month Anniversary
"Sounds like a cry for attention"
44 minutes ago
Davis replied to Jack Brenner's discussion 6 Month Anniversary
"Jack, Ever since our wedding my wife and I have always celebrated our "every month" birthday. This past Sunday we celebrated 533 months of marriage. I would consider this a "long-term" relationship. I know this must sound like…"
1 hour ago
Brad Felmey commented on James Machamer's group Freemasonry
"Charles, I'm given to understand that you'll find a brother running the site, too. :) Shawn, some lodges really struggle with getting the people they need all at the same time due to personal commitments. The Master's degree is a lot…"
1 hour ago
Curtis posted a discussion

Shoulders!

Guys, I’ve been weight training for almost 4 years now.  In this time I have experimented a lot. I’ve tried different workout plans, exercises, diets, meal plans and training/rest patterns.I’ve sampled everything from Mike Mentzer’s Heavy Duty workouts, to Mike Rashid’s overtraining and found that neither actually works for me. Mentzer’s regime was too slow and lacking in intensity and I actually found myself getting weaker.  As for Rashid’s overtraining ideas, I found myself with a nasty…See More
1 hour ago
Al C replied to Buffalo Bill's discussion Show Your EDC, Gentlemen in the group Everyday Carry
"Very simple in rems of what's in my pockets: 1-Saddleback Leather ID wallet with ID, debit card, credit card, amex, travel card and emergency cash 2- heads or tails elephant coin (call it a memento, charm, whatever) 3- Handkerchief 4- AoM…"
1 hour ago
Vytautas added a discussion to the group Armchair Generals
Thumbnail

Favorite/Most Interesting Battle

The title says it all gents: what battle is your favorite, or what battle do you think is most interesting? And why?See More
1 hour ago
Vytautas replied to Native Son's discussion Social Justice note. in the group Catholic Men
"While the Church's words are vague--in my opinion this is to allow governments leeway in deciding how to apply this philosophy and to avoid the Church becoming too political--the spirit is quite clear throughout Doctrine: we must establish…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service