Memorizing passages of great poetry and literature offers a myriad of benefits to a man. So it's time to start getting into the habit of strengthening our memorization muscles. To do so, your task today is to memorize the poem "If."

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/09/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-10...

What are some of your memorization tips? Do you have any passages already memorized?

Views: 999

Replies to This Discussion

Andy Davis has a book on memorizing books of the Bible. I used it to memorize Colossians and most of Hebrews. You can download his book for free here.
Interesting, and challenging task, Brett.

During the last week of class of my eighth grade year in school, our teacher, Mr. Edwards, assigned the task of memorizing Invictus by William Ernest Henley, To this day I can still remember what he said before he recited the poem and handed out our copies of it: "At some time in your life, you won't know when or how, but at some time, you will be tested. If you can remember the message of this poem, you will successfully past your test, whatever it is".
He was right, and I still remember the poem:

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I've not winced nor cried aloud,
Under the bludgeoning of chance,
My head is bloody but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the horror of the shade.
The menace of the years finds,
And shall find me unafraid.

For it matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul>
Ya beat me to it....I was just going to post this exact poem. Glad to hear that a teacher is making young folks aware of this piece of pure awesome.
Interesting idea. I know this sounds really nerdy but I have "The Litany Against Fear" from Dune by Frank Herbert memorized. Will start working on this too.
My father and grandfather have quoted "If" to me regularly to me through my childhood and teenage years - and as I started writing in my newly rebooted journal the other day, I found myself thinking of it regularly. This shouldn't be too hard !

Regarding tips on how to memorize data, I wrote an Instructable on memory palaces a while ago for the SuperStruct series. The method can seem a little exotic (ok, it really is), but I can testify that it works if you dedicate the time.

Thanks for the challenge of the day, Brett !
This is a great idea -- I think many of us memorized passages in high school or college, but failed to review them over the years. If you're like me, a random snippet floats through your consciousness from time to time, and you struggle to remember who wrote it or what the next line is.

In college I used a dry-erase marker to write information to be memorized on my bathroom mirror. I reviewed it when brushing my teeth, shaving, flossing, etc. As information started to stick, I simply erased what I knew & left what I still needed to review.

This passage is a bit long for that technique, so I copied it into my journal, where I can review it regularly.

As an aside, I also printed a copy and cut the margins down so the paper is roughly 4"x6" ... I had the crazy idea to tape it on the backside of one of the stall doors in the restroom at work. Wonder who will notice & what reaction they'll have?
The ancient Hebrews were excellent at memorizing too. They not only memorized the Torah but what past rabbi has said about what the past rabbi had said about a past rabbi had said about a Bible passage.
This one is gonna be the most challenging task thus far. Might take me right until the end of the month.
I've printed it out and started memoricizing it.
Hopeful optimistic that I will have it by the end of the day.

Nice poem.
I just downloaded a few copies of "If" as mp3 files, and will listen to them in the car this evening. A two hour solo ride should be enough to get it down.

Thanks everyone for sharing other favorites poems and quotes. Some bring back memories and others I want to check out. The two I can't shake from my head:
"Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valient never taste of death but once."
and
"Each ounce of dross costs its ounce of gold; For a cap and bells our lives we pay"
A friend of mine a graduate of Tuskegee could quote "IF" on demand. He said that it was part of the freshman must do list. Any upper class man had the obligation to stop the freshmen and quiz them on "IF". I have since then worked on memorizing it and made it a part of schooling for my three sons. It is time to revive and old friend so I have sent it to my sons now in college to "Man up" and memorize it again for the very first time.
Memorized the whole thing a while back. I pretty much consider If my personal creed. Great idea Brett.

RSS

Latest Activity

George Henry Robbins III commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"I am going to an upscale men's clothing store Jos. A. Bank tomorrow. Going to go in shirtless just to see if I get a reaction of some kind or asked to leave. Just curious to see what, if anything, happens. "
8 minutes ago
Alejandro De La Garza commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"I’ve gone into convenience stores shirtless, mainly just to get a newspaper.  I’ve gone through a restaurant drive-thru shirtless and pumped gas while shirtless.  I used to see men in grocery stores shirtless all the…"
23 minutes ago
Carl Monster commented on Carl Monster's blog post Fair Appearance
"Beloved and much celebrated, according to the station commentary, lol."
31 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Regular Joe's discussion Responsibility Towards A Brother
"I would leave it.  Why? Because one day your parents will need help, and he'll be the one to do their cooking and laundry. Otherwise you'll have to arrange for them to move Somewhere, and, take it from me, that is not an easy…"
1 hour ago
Richard A Fairchild commented on Richard A Fairchild's photo
Thumbnail

Me and dad at 4

"I still wear fedora's!  I have a winter one and a summer one.  I also have a short brim style when I want to have that Jazz/ blues look!"
1 hour ago
Richard A Fairchild replied to East London Gent's discussion Girlfriends lies and temper
"The feelings involves in a breakup is like a death of a spouse, in particular where you have time and emotion invested. Your first 6 months will be rough.  You will flip back and forth from anger and hurt, all the way to happiness.  Think…"
1 hour ago
Daniel Rodriguez commented on Richard A Fairchild's photo
Thumbnail

Me and dad at 4

"That's how one wears a fedora. Looking snappy, both of ya."
1 hour ago
Carl Monster commented on Carl Monster's blog post Fair Appearance
"Did you listen in? Lots of technical problems that had nothing to do with us. Still had loads of fun, arriving with my special pass into the farmers' area. So many tractors and huge vehicles under the dusty sky I felt like I was in some movie…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service