Today's task is nice and straightforward: update your resume! Whether you're out of work or not, we all need to have sharp looking resumes that are ready to be printed off at the drop of a hat. So bring yours up to par. After you're done updating it, share it with us.

Also, I'm sure many of you have some great additional resume tips. Share your wisdom with us!

Views: 1500

Replies to This Discussion

This is perfect! Now i have double motivation for doing it. Career, as opposed to job, here i come!
Family obligations will preclude me finishing this any time soon, but I will do it :)
I had a job scare not too long ago, so I had mine updated, but spent some more time on it today (should've really tomorrow, but I couldn't wait).

I do need to really update the stylization of mine, since I do work in the design field. Right now it is simple, but not too simple. I need to create something more cutting edge, but still keep within the lines of acceptable.
Attachments:
Chris-

I like the look of your resume. Very simple.
Done and attached, Brett. Thanks for the push, I just became an intern and needed to update my resume to move on new opportunities.
Attachments:
Impressive credentials! My only suggestion is to change the formatting a bit so you can try to get it on one page. It's a not a chisled in stone rule, but most HR experts suggest that a resume should only be one page.

I think this could be done by making the font a bit smaller. Other than that, very good!
Nice format if people would like to use it. I haven't really had a normal job so it is focused on leadership experience.

Suggestions welcome! :)
Attachments:
This is a really great format! I'd definitely suggest people use this. Nice and clean and very scanable.

Also, impressive credentials! Army Commendation Medal= very cool. Thank you for your service!
Done and done.

Not much to change - but always cathartic to trim it down to just over 1 page. No potential employer wants to wade through a 3-volume opus!
Attachments:
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the feedback. I would change it but I'm pretty happy in my job right now so the pressure is off to change it!

Cheers,
Mark
I've got a bit of advice, for those that are emailing resumes, or even printing them on the go, it would be a good idea to save them as a PDF. My reason why is this; you don't want to send it to a possible employer/printer that doesn't (for some off chance) have Word, or whatever program you created it in.

Especially now, even the newest version of Microsoft Word uses a new file extension: ".docx" and some computers won't be updated enough to open them. Just an FYI.
Excellent tip - some of my friends have experienced similar problems.

RSS

Latest Activity

John White commented on John White's blog post where are the decent women?
"not many opinions on women? so most men here are happy with their relationship? I highly doubt it."
1 hour ago
Michael D. Denny replied to AlanR's discussion Picking up a side hustle - Investing the time and energy before you see a payoff.
"My experience is that a side gig should be doing something you really love. My buddy and I are slowly amassing the equipment and tools to get into doing marine salvage work on the side. I have no idea if it will actually make money or not, but…"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Christian's discussion 20 year old looking for advice from you "white collar" gents.....is the money worth it?
"While I don't meet your desired "respondent criteria", a note or two on this. First.  You're 20 years old.  You haven't lived long enough to have "struggled" with a career decision.  Judging from the…"
1 hour ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Christian's discussion 20 year old looking for advice from you "white collar" gents.....is the money worth it?
"My advice for someone your age is not to over think it. I was pushing 30 before I knew myself well enough to know where my talents and my weaknesses were. I was pushing my mid 30s before I had narrowed the field enough to start really creating…"
1 hour ago
Christian posted a discussion

20 year old looking for advice from you "white collar" gents.....is the money worth it?

This has always been the area I've struggled with most in my life....finding out what to do for a career. I've never had a passion for one specific thing. There isn't one job that seems to "stick out" over the others. I'm kind of in every direction when it comes to choosing careers. One day I'll think welder, the next it's logistics, the next it's cyber security. At 20 years old this feeling of uncertainty is not where I want to be, so I'm really trying to figure out not just what I want to do…See More
1 hour ago
Carl Monster replied to Hannah Carroll's discussion Rows and Bros- The Manly Art of Knitting??
"Ah, to be young and able to piss away time like that. "
1 hour ago
Daniel C. Powell commented on Simon O'M's group Police - The Thin Blue Line
"Very Glad to see some activity here on the page and thanks for joining Daniel!"
3 hours ago
Kevin Collier commented on Simon O'M's group Police - The Thin Blue Line
"Daniel, remember the Menard Correctional Center Golden Rule: "Do it to them before they can do it to you.""
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service