http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/03/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-4-...

Today's task is to do three things from this list to increase your manly testosterone:

1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep tonight.

2. Do not smoke at all today. (If you don’t smoke right now, you can’t count this one as one of your 3)

3. Do no eat anything with soy in it. You’re going to have to read labels. It will blow your mind how many things contain soy these days.

4. Meditate for at least 10 minutes. This will help you de-stress.

5. Do resistance training. Lift some weights and do compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, dips, rows, and pull-ups. They’ll boost your T more than bicep curls. You also need to use heavy weights and short sets. If you’re looking to maximize your T, I highly recommend the Strong Lifts 5X5 program.

6. Eat a serving of good fat. As you fat intake goes up, so do your T levels. Aim to get at least 30% of your calories from fat today and spread your consumption of it throughout the day. Monosaturated fats-the kind found in nuts, fish, olives, olive oil, seeds, and avocados-are particularly beneficial to your testosterone level (and your health).10 Also, don’t be afraid of saturated fat; that whole business about it raising your cholesterol and causing heart disease is a bunch of rubbish.11

7. Eat a serving of animal protein. Vegetarian diets have been proven to lower your T levels.12 So go ahead and have that steak. (This might be the easiest day of the challenge yet!) There’s no need to overdo it though; a diet with a carb to protein ratio of 2:1 is ideal for testosterone production.

8. Eat a serving of cruciferous vegetables. Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, turnips, cabbage and brussel sprouts contain Diindolylmethane which helps balance your estrogen and testosterone levels and increases the amount of free circulating T in your body.

9. Have morning sex (if you partner is willing, of course). Just having an erection increases your testosterone. And you already get a surge of T when you wake up, so this will bump it up even further.

Views: 6916

Replies to This Discussion

I managed to get 7 and 8 in today, maybe 6. I'll try to hit the gym tomorrow and get 5 done. 4 I can do, too. For 3, I just looked at it and facepalmed. One item I consumed today: soy sauce.
i hit 1-8 pretty well.. 9.. need to work on that girlfriend part... :)
I guess I would say that when you take out the fat, it has to be made up somewhere, normally in carbs. I guess one could try for a low fat, low carb, low protein diet though. But I think the science is supported by other things it seems that cultures that get a higher portion of their daily calories from fat have been shown to be quite healthy-like people of the Mediterranean and France.

Check out the Iron Gym pull-up bar. I love mine.

"I guess one could try for a low fat, low carb, low protien diet"  Brett, that sounds like fasting.

I'm aiming for 1, 3, 4, and 9. I'm also going to try and 5 it
This is one of my favorite yet! I can't wait to try to get as many of those done not only tomorrow, but for the remainder of the 30 days.
I am going to try to accomplish all of these today.
1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 probably 6 aswell.

ooh yea, Beard here I come!
Posted and blogged - http://dadofdivas.blogspot.com/

For me, I will plan on focusing on the following:

1) Eat a serving of cruciferous vegetables - For those of you who do not know my typical lunch, this will not be a problem, as J-Mom always states that for lunch I eat rabbit food.

2) Do resistance training - This has been on my list for a while and I simply tend to put it off, so I guess the mantra is do not put off today what you have been in the past.

3) Meditate for at least 10 minutes - I am not always good at this, but will work on doing it today, as it is good to be able to clean the soul per se.

There are a few on the list that were no brainers for me, but also ones that I was surprised at such as:

Do not smoke at all today. I don't have to worry about this for I have never and will never touch smoking. I have seen too many people, friends and family effected by this adversely to even think about touching this.

Do no eat anything with soy in it. This one surprised me as I eat soy daily due to a food allergy - so I guess I am out of the running on this one.

Have morning sex (if you partner is willing, of course). This one is a fun one and one I would not have completely thought of as well.
Here we go...

1. I don't know what 8 hours of sleep looks like, wouldn't know what to do with it if I saw it. I'd like to find out, though... I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep. I get to bed around 10 and I'm up at 3:45 to be at work by 5:30

2. That's one. I do not now, nor have I ever, lit up.

3. Easy. We eat mostly fresh and hardly any processed foods.

4. I'm going to give meditation a shot when I get home.

5. I'll see what I can do about this. And I'll check out the Strong Lifts 5x5 program

6. Another easy one.

7. *caveman UGH* Easy.

8. Not sure what's on the menu for tonight...

9. See #1 and tell me if YOU think I'd be able to manage this one. Additionally, the family bed puts a damper on any amorous activity.

I'll report back and let you all know how it went.
I already had plans to do all of these except for 4 and 8... now I'll do 4 and 8 as well :)
I can do 1, 4, 5 and 6. I'd like to throw #9 into the group, but we'll see..... :)

RSS

Latest Activity

Benjamin Richards joined Bruce Allan West's group
Thumbnail

Manly Missouri Men

A group for men from MO to e-gather and discuss manly activities, outings, and entertainment - as well as any various thing - offered in the great, centrally-located state of MO.
4 minutes ago
Profile IconTim and Aus Man joined Stephen Larsen's group
Thumbnail

Banya Men!

Though they aren't common in the United States, Jjimjilbangs, Banyas, Onsens, and Hamams are a great places to hang out.  This is a group for men comfortable in their own skin and appreciate the eastern ideas of public bath houses.See More
47 minutes ago
Tony Wolf replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"True, though the original "Bohemians" (circa 1900) were counter-culture types - actors, musicians, artists etc. who liked camping holidays in the woods.  In the case of the Bohemian Grove, the wealthy establishment guys had the…"
54 minutes ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
1 hour ago
Elon Erani commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"David. What is a TRX class?"
1 hour ago
Leto Atreides II commented on Josh Allen's photo
1 hour ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

Josh100LuBu - Youthful Father Of A New Age

"My hair is more straight than hers."