Today's task has us finding a mentor.
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/02/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-3-...

You might not be able to find one in just a day, but we can at least get started.

Here's your 30 Days to a Better Man-Day 3 task in a nutshell:

* Pick an area in your where you think a mentor can help you and draw up a list of three potential mentors.

* Describe why you think they'd be good.

* By the end of the 24 hours, contact this mentor. Send an email or letter, call them, or drop by their office. You don't actually have to visit with them during this day, but make contact with them in some form.

* Report your results in the 30 Days to a Better Man Community. If you have any advice on finding a mentor please share those, too.

Views: 4045

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah. This is gonna be difficult. Definitely outside my comfort zone. But I'll do my best.
I'm old so I will volunteer to be someone's mentor. However, I just don't quite know what to tell you when you come to the part of describing why you think I would be good at it.
I've already kinda got one...I met my current manager at an old job about 6 years ago. I was in Accounts Receivable and he was a programmer. We got along reasonably well from the start, but didn't have much to do with one another...After a couple of years, I moved into the IT arena, and when I ran into him from time to time, he'd give me tips about how do do things and would lend me books. This year, I started working with him again, this time he's my boss. So far it's been great. I've learned more in the past 3 months than I have in the past couple of years.

I highly recommend getting a mentor if you can, though it can be quite difficult to find someone not only willing, but also competent enough to guide you in the right direction.

Like David, I'm a bit older than most of the guys here, so if there's anyone starting out as a developer that needs some guidance, just drop me a message, and I'll be glad to help.
I'm with Jared on the difficulty situation. I have a semi-mentor in a man I met through my fiance, her godfather to be more precise. He gives me advice every now and again, but I'm not sure if he would be a mentor or not, to me. He started a company around my age, and it was a multi-million dollar company by the time he retired a few years back. I'm looking to start my own business, though in a very different industry. The advice I've gotten from him in the past is very valuable in that goal, think he'd work for a mentor?
He sounds like a good mentor. Why not ask him out to lunch just to shoot the breeze?
I will be honest and say this is going to be really difficult for me. I probably won't get anywhere close to being completed in the 24 hours but I will keep working on it. I don't know that many people to begin with and even fewer men that would qualify. But as I said I will keep at it and not give up. Also any suggestions or advice for someone in my position would be greatly appreciated.
Joshua if you don't know very many people to begin with, the first step for you might be to look for some kind of group to join and meet people. It could be a church, a book club, a fraternal lodge, toastmasters, a running club, ect.
This is a great task. Yesterday was easy street, polishing shoes. Today, tough assignment.

I will begin to seek a mentor and I will also offer myself as a mentor to younger members in the group. For those looking for a mentor: I am 48, a proud dad of 3 boys ages 23, 17 & 14. My oldest graduated UMASS with a BFA in Computer Animation, my 2nd son will enter the School of Architecture at Syracuse University in fall 2009, my youngest carries a 98.8 average in HS and aspires to be a forensic scientist.

I never had the opportunity to attend college because my parents divorced a couple of months before I was set to go. No worries though. I worked my way up the ranks as a service technician, sales guy, sales manager, branch manager, VP of a national company and then....I quit the rat race to start my own corporation. Feel free to call on me if I can help you in any way.
Jim, I'd be interested in taking up your offer of mentorship. I'd send a message to you but there doesn't seem to be a link for it on your page.

Douglas.
Just finished my list of people I feel would be good mentors. I dropped them all an e-mail. I'm diversifying my options as one of them is a few years younger than I am.

Betty -- because she is doing exactly what I want to do and has been for over 15 years.
Novik -- because he's got the income I want as well as lots of time to spend with his wife and kids.
Kris -- because she's an internet marketing genius and she really has her pulse on what the younger generation is into these days.

Day 3 down -- 27 to go! Keep 'em coming!
Easy for me. I already have one, well actually two. A coworker with twice the experience of me, Mark. While we are equals in the program, I look to him for advice all the time. My second one is my boss who has twice the experience of me and is a lot calmer than me. He can keep in check. These are primarily profession but also personal as they can balance life well. One has helped get me back into dating after my divorce by giving me hope that this is possible.
already got one,

brian - gives me advice on what to do with my life when i am done university
- reminds me not to forget to relax and party every once and awhile
- shows me how to leave my comfort zone and meet new people

RSS

Latest Activity

waxmo updated their profile
15 minutes ago
Allen Winston Cook joined Bruce Uall's group
Thumbnail

The Shirtless Man

Shirtlessness is the essence of manliness.
31 minutes ago
Allen Winston Cook left a comment for Mel Jon
"Hoping to interact some with you and the group...looking forward to it. Great chest shot! LOL"
48 minutes ago
Vince replied to Vince's discussion Request advice for Gastroesophageal reflux disease
"Yes, I am in Italy. For now, I have noticed a big improvement. I'm trying to improve my food lifestyle. The most difficult thing is the workout, I feel strongly limited but I will try to find the right rhythm"
1 hour ago
Izzy replied to lanny lucas's discussion Why do we seem to feel more pain in general than our older generations. in the group Men In Nursing
"Hmm...I would be curious to hear from other parts of the world with socialized medicine such as Canada and England to see if they have the same issues and put the "increased access and utilization" reason to test. I still stand by my…"
2 hours ago
Jai Chipperfield replied to Jai Chipperfield's discussion What to wear to a vineyard
"Thank's, that's the sort of thing I had in mind."
3 hours ago
Michael B. replied to lanny lucas's discussion Why do we seem to feel more pain in general than our older generations. in the group Men In Nursing
"P2) The answer to this is increased access and utilization of healthcare over time. P3) See the answer for paragraph 2. P4) It's the existence of choice - we now have the choice to not just "grin and bear it." Sever and/or chronic…"
4 hours ago
Nick H replied to Josh Williams's discussion The issue of height
"I'm 6'2 but since I usually slouch people think I'm around 6. I agree that women seem to usually prefer taller men but most don't seem to care as long as the man is at least her height or taller. And I have not met many many…"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service