Our fears hold us back from reaching our full potential. Today we're going to summon up our manly courage and conquer a fear that's been nagging us for too long.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/28/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-29...

What's a fear that's been holding you back? How are you going to conquer it?

Views: 304

Replies to This Discussion

Irrational fears are stupid and destructive. But I will posit that legitimate fears can be good motivators. For example, imagine how much more motivated you'd be to do one more pull-up if the life of a loved one depended on it. Granted, it may sound a little crazy, but just chew on something like that the next time you think you're too pooped to do one more rep. It works wonders.

I'd also say that a "motivating fear" can be applied generally: if the consequences of failure in a project or in your life in general are seriously disturbing, let that fear motivate you to do whatever you need to avoid it.

My own fears? Puking and House Centipedes come to mind. However, I'm not sure how either is really an obstacle. But I do remember doing some elevated trust falls back in high school (i.e., you were standing on a platform *above* the people who were going to catch you) and no one was particularly enthused. But the strongest piece of advice was also the forehead-smackingliest most obvious: "Just close your eyes and jump." That stupid little phrase goes a long way in those little moments where you hesitate to make your move (whether it's jumping into a cold pool, swallowing a huge vitamin, whatever).
This is a really important challenge. I have already conquered my three greatest fears: heights, speaking in public and making a fool of myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm still afraid, but I won't let it stop me, I don't make a fool of myself -every- time I get the chance, but I do speak in public if the opportunity arises.
It would fall under the "just do it" category.
Started climbing, mostly indoors to begin with.
Felt a bit dizzy at times, but when you get to the top and you're on your way down it's so worth it.
Hmm... honestly, I don't have any fears that would interfere with my daily life at all. I get nervous when I speak in front of audiences, as I'm told I stutter when giving a speech, so I can try to conquer that 'fear' I suppose. I'll occasionally give speeches to family, and any interested friends, in attempts to defeat my stuttering. I'm not sure when I'll fully get over it, but I'll be active in it, rest assured.
I have a (confidential) decision to make in several weeks. Right now, it makes me quite tense, simply because of my fear of what would happen either way. Today, I will focus on the thoughts and questions you brought up -- what if I don't do it? Would I look back in 10 years and think, "I wish I had..."? Am I going to be a coward about it? I like the phrase, "The heroism of the fathers is the legacy of the sons." My children won't know about the decision, but they'll see that I'm scared of something, unless I conquer the fear and move confidently forward.
The decision will come no matter what: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows; it empties today of its strength."
I hate bees, eventhough I have been stung before and know that it isn't that bad. However, I no longer run from them or act crazy when one is near. I keep an eye out for the bee, but I just let it "be" now.
I had to think about this one for a bit to see what I wanted to conquer and I am still unsure to as what it is that I want to attack. There are not a lot of true fears that I can think of. I mean, I am not afraid of heights, open spaces, spiders....

I am afraid of losing my family, even though I know that this will probably not happen. This is one that I think I will work on trying to set back further in my consciousness. I have a fear not accomplishing enough and not making a difference. This may sound strange, but I truly want to leave my mark on this world, and I do not want to leave this life without knowing that I have done what I could to make a difference on my community, my family and the others around me.

How do I alleviate this, I have to say that I am a bit at a loss right now, but I am going to ponder this some more and see what I can come up with. What do all of you think? How would you attack this fear?
First of a great post once again. Fear of rejection has held me back for last couple of months; as a result, I find myself without a full time job. So, after reading your post I decided to go out there and knock on a few doors instead of sitting home and apply for job. To my surprise, yesterday I was able to speak with one of the managers in a local hospital, where I've been wanting to work and she has asked me to submit a job application and she will speak with the recruiter to set up an interview. I'm excited.
I thought about it for a while tonight, being the first chance I've had to check in since getting back from a week rafting in the mountains...

I suppose I have a bit of a fear of the unknown. Entering into new and uncharted waters in my life in which I have no experience, don't know what to expect, I find myself hesitant and on some occasions back out. I shall work on this fear at the soonest opportunity. I hate missing an opportunity due to a hesitation or just straight up cowardice.

Joined toastmasters a while back, and I'm giving my first speech tomorrow. I'll count that as conquering a fear.

RSS

Latest Activity

Sean O' replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"But if I have to sweat through another 10 pounds or so Remember that ounces = pounds and under certain circumstances pounds can = death. Weight adds up amazingly fast. I would be very careful of the "it's just one thing and doesn't…"
27 minutes ago
Sean O' replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"http://www.armageddononline.org/PDF/Smuggling%20&%20Caching/SF%20Caching%20Techniques.pdf A handy reference for doing a cache. Pay special attention to the cache report and make sure there is a copy in your bag."
31 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Regular Joe's discussion Vote Now: America's Ugliest Accent
"The north Jersey accent should be right up there in the top contenders; it's as ugly as the area. This is a parody, but it's also spot on: "
44 minutes ago
Muad'Dib replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"No, you're not."
1 hour ago
Chuck Knight commented on Jeremy's album
Thumbnail

Mexico 2010

"I thought I recognized Tulum. Beautiful ruins, spectacular cliff side vistas, and the clearest turquoise water I've ever seen. It was almost startling."
2 hours ago
N. Vest replied to N. Vest's discussion Bug Out Bag,
"When I was growing up I easily could have thrown this kit together out of the stuff in the garage. But my dad spent decades picking up camping gear here and there. Now that I'm married with kids of my own I have accumulated that kind of gear…"
3 hours ago
"I'll be honest here, I would rather be in the woods "roughing" it than in any place the redcross/FEMA/whoever set up. Call me paranoid, but that many desperate people in once place is just waiting for bad things to happen. And yes it…"
3 hours ago
"I like the cache idea and Shane has really got me thinking about the holes in the planning portion of things. As I see it now I would rather use a cache as a more of a supplement to the B.O.B. then a replacement. As nothing ever goes according to…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service