Today's task is to start reading a book. So find something you've been meaning to read and devote 30 minutes today to just reading. Let us know what book you've decided to start.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/26/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-27...

Views: 742

Replies to This Discussion

Gifted Hands by Dr. Ben Carson
A Bad Man by Stanley Elkin, it is probably my favorite book.
Currently reading "The Prince" by Machiavelli, "Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson and SAS Survival Guide.
Liberty And Tyranny by Mark R. Levin and En Route to Global Occupation by Gary H. Kah
Somewhere in the middle of Chapter 14 of "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Next is "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

Caveat: These are audiobooks. My line of work is mostly reading and writing, and at day's end, I don't feel like sitting down to read even more. I listen to audiobooks during my walk home from work, and when I'm outside exercising.

That said, when vacation time rolls around, a physcial book in a quiet spot is a fantastic thing.
I'm reading two books: one, historical fiction - A Knight of the White Cross, by G.A. Henty; the other, a Bible commentary - Jesus and the Gospels, by Craig L. Blomberg . I usually have two books going because I will get tired of reading a particular topic and want to read a story. Then I'll need to get back to something intellectual.
I'm just finishing up Running to Win by George Sheehan. I really like it. Some of it is a bit techinical and running specific, but it is a good book about exercise with a dash of philosophy.

I'm actually headed to the library in a few minutes to pick up a couple other books that just came in for me.
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (Running, Adventures in Latin America)
The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs (Heard it was funny)
I've got a stack of 'em on the desk here to read. Currently finishing up The Soloist, then on to How to Read Literature Like a Professor. That'll get me 2/3 of my summer reading for school knocked out so I can get back to the pile of books that I WANT to read.
Currently reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I checked out a few books from the library last week. I'll probably have to renew to get through all of them, but I will either start "Letters to a Christian Nation", "Holidays on Ice", or "The Chomsky Reader".

As encouragement, I'd suggest checking if your local library has a summer reading program going on. Mine does, so with every book I read this summer I've got a chance to win food, bowling passes, and baseball tickets. Not bad!
Heh...I' a bibliophile. I read all the time. SO this was was way too easy for me. I had just finished up the book A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage. Its a very interesting look at our history, and if anyone has a few days to devote to an impressive book, I'd pick that up.

I've also been reading a guide book my new job sent me a little while back, What They Don't Teach You in College: A Graduate's Guide to Life which covers all those simple things you would think someone would already know, but most of us College Grad's don't: Filing Taxes, buying a Car, getting renters insurance, etc.

However, I needed a good excuse to go sign up for a library card at the local library (I've just moved into the DC/Metro Area, and will be doing another move in September, but not out of the geographical area I'm in right now), and today's task has provided me with just that excuse. I went in looking to pick up a book in a series i've been reading, but it was not in. So, then I tried to pick up The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt but the only copy the library had was an audio book, which defeats the purpose of "reading".

So, what to do? I ended up finding a copy of both She and King Solomons Mines by H. Rider Haggard, in a bound collection of Novels by the author, which I saw on the list of Adventure books. I've been meaning to read King Solomon's Mines Ever since I saw the (not great) movie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (of which the comic version I very much need to read still), and the library happened to be able to help me. I'm not sure if Alan Quatermaine is in She but I will make an effort to read both.

However, I also picked up For Us, The Living by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm a big Heinlein fan, and I have hardly read any of his works, so I'm making sure to fix that. Therefore, I've started For Us, The Living first, over the Haggard books, which I will probably have started by the end of the weekend, if not before next Wednesday.

And that was a really long post.....
Ulysses by James Joyce.
I have myself a stack that I've been meaning to get through.

Right now I'm in the middle of When you are Engulfed in Flames, after that there's some Gaiman, Pratchett, and Palahniuk, and either in the middle or at the end I have The Three Musketeers (which I've had for seven years now)

I'll probably use that to end on since the older the book for me is a more difficult read.

RSS

Latest Activity

Michael J. K. commented on Steven C.'s group Exercise
"I AM going to get on the bike Friday and ride 20 or more miles"
1 hour ago
Michael J. K. left a comment for adrian
"thanks for asking how I was doing   have a great night Adrian"
1 hour ago
Michael J. K. commented on Badabing's photo
Thumbnail

10007425_10100811152620686_166125078_n

"relax and read and rest then if someone wants to mess with you I want to watch  "
2 hours ago
Michael J. K. commented on Badabing's group Wrestling Fight Club
"great George"
2 hours ago
Michael J. K. commented on Badabing's group Wrestling Fight Club
"Peter I am coming down to Austrailia to wrestle you   just so u know get ready upside down bloke"
2 hours ago
Michael J. K. joined Badabing's group
Thumbnail

Wrestling Fight Club

This group is for anyone interested in the sport of wrestling, whether you wrestled in school or are just a fan and want to learn.  People say it's a dying sport but the popularity of MMA has really brought home the importance of wrestling as a skillset that every man needs, especially anyone interested in martial arts in general.  Hopefully this can facilitate discussion and people looking for training partners in their areaSee More
2 hours ago
Michael J. K. left a comment for Logan Hickerson
"AWESOME PICS"
2 hours ago
Michael J. K. left a comment for Benjamin K
"Wow fargo ND  welcome Benjamin"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service