Today's task is to perform the Marine Corps Fitness Test. It consists of pull-ups, as many crunches as you can do in 2 minutes, and 3.0 mile run: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/25/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-26...

Let us know how you did!

Views: 1147

Replies to This Discussion

I had to go through my physical fitness test to get my second degree black belt about two months ago, so the crunches weren't hard (had to do 100 for the test--along with 50 push-ups, 50 squats, 30 leg lifts, 100 jumping jacks...). I'm embarrassed to say I don't think I could do a pull-up, and I don't have a pull-up bar in my house.

I'll try the 3 mile run later today, but man it's hot outside. I can't promise high speeds! I'll make sure to pre-hydrate and stretch, of course.
Hard. Core.

I'm slowly getting myself back into shape, and beginning Week 3 of the "One Hundred Pushups" program (hundredpushups.com). There's a "20 pull-ups" program out there similar to the 100 pushups program, and I'll be working on that as soon as I find a decent pullup bar (either in a playground or that I can install in my house).

Crunches seem to be getting a bad rap these days (see http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/core-myths/ for example), and I don't have a great back to begin with. I'll do other core work, but maybe not in crunch form (e.g., hanging leg lifts).

Power through, gents.
This is kind of sad, but I can't do any pullups. I'm working on it, though.

I was able to do 63 crunches in two minutes.

I've been running and my last 5K time was a blazing 35 minutes.

So my total score is 63.

I'll keep plugging along and trying to get better as I get older.
I think a lot of us may be a little disheartened by the challenge-- I'm not a great runner, and I'm terrible with pullups. I may not take the challenge for a while, but I will. And when I do, I intend to do well. Just plug away at the goals, and you'll be there in no time.
2, 51, 32:30. Good test -- I'll keep working.
On the bright side, it gave me another great reason to shower with Old Spice body wash, put on O.S. deodorant, and apply O.S. cologne.
Score = 142, Although I completed the task in 40 minutes thinking that this shouldn't be very hard but it took a lot of effort and will power to keep running. This task is an eye opener for me because I've been doing strength training but ignored cardio-thanks for the challenge.
11 Chinups, 54 crunches, and 24:20 for 3 miles. 55+54+62 = 171. Solid 2nd class for my group (27-39), but I do benefit from being towards the low end of that range.

All credit for this one goes to Brett. Do More Than One Stinking Pull-Up is the reason I found this site and is actually the reason I can do any pullups at all (tested pullups also this morning - did 9 but took the 11 chinups for the test). I jerry-rigged a 2X4 and dowel rod into my personal pullup bar inside a closet at home. Once I started doing the pullups regularly, I added pushups, and got back into running. I feel so much better than I did a year ago in so many ways.

I am a little disappointed with my number of crunches. That was much harder than I thought it would be, but gives me something to work on. I think 1st class is doable in another month.
Gonna be a while till I'm in shape enough to do that. I'll look into that other fitness program you sent out tho.
My results @ age 27: 16 pullups, 67 situps in 2 min, 25:57 3-mile run… total score 199… I missed 1st class by one point!
I really didn't view this one as a "who can do the best", as much as a personal benchmark. It's a rather standard fitness test that you can employ once/twice a year maybe, to see how your body/fitness is working. I guess I did 13 pullups, 70 crunches and a 22.40 run, it amazed me how tired I was at the end! I do hate running- there has to be a better way to get where I want to go...

D
This was a hard one to accomplish, especially with the amount of time that it takes. I know that this is important, but I have to say that lately I have been having difficulty finding the time to work out. I know if is important as I have already mentioned, but as I have mentioned in my post about Play, when I get home at the end of the day, I find that I want to spend time with my girls and my wife, and not working out. In the morning, I find that I am trying to blog lately. So how do all of you do it? For those of you that have a family, job and still work out, how do you fit it all in?

I have a pull up bar in our basement and can usually do quite a few sets of pull ups. The way that I do pull ups though are different than others. I do a quick pull up and then do an 8 count drop, as a Phys Ed Professor once told me that in doing weights or pull ups that this was the best way to build muscle and to take the most out of these exercises.

I also have been trying to get into a routine of running again. The other day I did a 3 mile run and ended up finishing with about 24.5, which was not the best time that I have ever had, but ok in the sense that I had not run in a while.

I need to get working on push ups, crunches and leg lifts to try and get myself into the best shape that I can.
9, 72, and 21:55 = 203 points. Going to do this twice a year for hopefully the rest of my life.
I was way surprised by the run; I had hoped for 24 or better as we just moved from San Antonio to Denver. I did my first ultra-marathon right before we moved, but this is my first run at altitude that I didn't feel like playdough. Little disappointed with the other two, though.

RSS

Latest Activity

John White replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"this is about men who take great pleasure in bashing men thinking all men are the same. "
31 minutes ago
Bryan Maloney replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"God can meet you as far as you can go. There is a Jewish story of a man who wrote to his father saying that he could not make it all the way to him. His father replied that the son should go as far as he could, and his father would meet him there."
37 minutes ago
Bryan Maloney replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"Read more than one. Avoid paraphrases, though. Most paraphrases do note what they are. Each translation is a product of people with some agenda or another."
40 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Actually, before Tony Wolf and I diverted ourselves about the word "Bohemian", what you are describing is a sort of gentlemen's (or not quite gentlemen) club. a social gathering group for people with a common set of interests.…"
43 minutes ago
Edward Longshanks commented on Ian Wilson's group Out to Build Bridges
"Physically I feel a lot better having ,finally found the courage to come out of the closet to people. First night on AofM I outed myself in my status, and I am glad I finally outed myself to my best friend and my high school classmates"
1 hour ago
Nathanael replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Poor Will, with his illusions of being happily married."
2 hours ago
Jeremy posted a photo
3 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"boy scouts, 4H, FFA, Orderof Demolay, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service