It's time to confront our mortality and think long and hard about how we want to be remembered when we depart this earth. So today we're going to write our eulogies.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/20/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-21...

What do you hope people say about you at your funeral?

Views: 199

Replies to This Discussion

I want them to say "I guess we were a little premature..."
Took him a while, but, he got there in the end. Deserves a 2nd go.
Tough challenge. I kind of liked it... May I grow up to be the man that I described in that eulogy.
Completed. Good challenge.
its my attempts to be a better person that brought me to this website, I have been skimping on some of the tasks (there will be no physical for me as I lack health insurance and had one last year on the NHS), but I wanted to give this one ago. It has brought me face to face with allot of the choices I have made in my life, some of which are not the most honorable.

I would hear the words adventurous, passionate and creative spoken, but I fear they would mean things entirely different. Passionate would be a substitute for stubborn and used to describe the tendency of my youth to put my (naive and unrealistic) beliefs before the needs of my self and those around me.

Creative, would be used by my family who do not understand my job or what exactly it entails. It will also probably be used to describe my being less then strict with the truth about many events in my life to my family. It may be used by some to describe the things that normal people find totally easy that I have always struggled with, things like applying for jobs, attending school, filing tax returns and anything that involves the government, paperwork or academia. My friends would apply it to my spelling.

Adventurous, would be used aptly to describe moving to London a week after finishing High School, or moving out of my parents house before I was 18. It would also be used to describe my refusal to go to collage, despite being accepted, and my choice to try my hand at one of the hardest careers to achieve with no safety net.

I didn't finish my Eulogy, I re-wrote my will instead. I now want a full and traditional Catholic mass (despite not having attend church since my school days, and being an atheist) I think the ritual helped me deal with my Grandmothers passing, and that it would help people deal with mine. My will also stipulates that all men over the age of 14 must wear suits and ties, and still as every incarnation of it has forbids a close relation from attending my funeral.

In conclusion, I'm not nearly as prepared to die as I hoped I would be and I have allot more to do to be a better person.

p.s. i think up date your will would a good task.
Dude...what, exactly, is your profession?
freelance fashion, art and reportage photographer.
"Loving husband and father, good friend and counselor, and one who was willing to put the needs of others above his own. He may have held those around him to high standards, but he held himself to higher still, and was passionate in his beliefs, sometimes to a fault. You never had to ask where he'd come down on an issue...because you already knew. He was THAT kind of Man. The kind that stood for his beliefs, unflinchingly."

God grant me the wisdom...
I don't want a eulogy. I've always been uncomfortable with being the center of attention (unless it's really for something I've earned, like an award), so things like birthday parties (G-d forbid they should be surprise parties) and eulogies make me really uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I want to be valued by others and missed, but I don't want anyone to have to praise me publicly. It shouldn't be necessary--people should already be aware of who I was and what I did.

But I will write my own obituary. I'll post it later.
This is taking some time for me (just like all of the writing challenges thus far), but I am working away on it.

I'd hope that people said things like "he always wanted to see people happy" and "you couldn't help but have fun when you were around him".
This one is really morbid yano..and is taking me longer then I'd like to admit. I'll post it within the next week tho, once I'm happy with it
I actually enjoyed this exercise; it reminded me that there are certain facets of my life that I need to explore and develop. It also reminded me that my wife is hands-down the most important person in my life.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Muir replied to Nathanael's discussion Common-sense gun laws, what would they look like for you? in the group The Great Debate
"Pickens County - like most counties in South Carolina. Has an excellent array of public shooting ranges, available "free" to the shooter. My range has a 100 meter KD, a Pistol Range, and a Shotgun Range. All have sheltered…"
6 minutes ago
Native Son replied to David Xtra's discussion A "Holster" for a Phablet? in the group Man Bags
"Should have read:  "That's One!  (rimshot)""
18 minutes ago
N. Vest replied to Rafael's discussion Explain this anti-rape add to me, please
"just cause I happened to run across this and it seems to fit. "
22 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Chip DeWitt's discussion Anyone Taking Testosterone - Good? Bad? Looking for more info and personal experience with the stuff.
"Stop....please.... lol"
32 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Titus Techera's discussion Mr. Tyson, the clown in the group The Great Debate
"Like I said, yawn. You don't even know who he is."
45 minutes ago
David F. replied to Kit's discussion Whats your hangover cure?
"Water, then tea. "
48 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Nathanael's discussion Common-sense gun laws, what would they look like for you? in the group The Great Debate
"So as I am reading it 1) No to pushing for fed funding for smart guns and retro tech for older guns if it might mean a mandate 2) No to taxes for mental health because those funds might get misused and there are killings that have nothing to do with…"
48 minutes ago
David F. replied to Rafael's discussion Explain this anti-rape add to me, please
"Point"
50 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service