Today’s task: Commit to do some service. You obviously don’t have to do the service in the next 24 hours. Your task is simply to find a project or opportunity you’d like to volunteer for and sign up if you can. Or come up with a project that you’re going to create yourself.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/19/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-20...

Views: 390

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea Bruce!
Thanks for the suggestion WE Dodge.
Interesting timing for this article - it's 6:45am on a Saturday morning and I'm heading out the door to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity. The association of professional designers that I belong to is holding a garage sale today to raise funds for HfH; at first I was kind of annoyed that I was roped into doing this on a weekend - I work an insane amount of hours during the week and my time with my wife and family on the weekend is limited and sacred to me. However, that one line in this article - "The public service we render is the rent we pay for our place on earth." - stuck with me. Instead of 'having to', I 'get to'.

I live in a city that is consistently voted as the number one place to live on the planet, in a beautiful condo in the downtown core, with a gorgeous wife. I also live in a city that has an underlying homeless problem, a propensity to view such things with a very cold and detached eye, and I have an opportunity to do something small that can make a difference and kind of say 'thanks' to the big guy upstairs. It kind of puts things in perspective and forces me to take my eyes off of myself.

Thanks for giving me a virtual poke in the ribs Brett - I needed it.
PM Riches-

I totally see where you're coming from. Sometimes I'm reluctant to go do service because it will take away time from my wife. Thankfully, I have a wife who has things in perspective and reminds me that service is the rent I pay for being on earth.

Let us know how habitat for humanity went!
One thing I've been involved in for a while is Kiva.org, which is not so much a charitable institution as it is a "teach a man to fish" kind of organization, lending micro-loans to borrowers in third-world countries.

My lender profile is at http://www.kiva.org/lenders/andrew8911 . You can get an idea of the kinds of entrepreneurs seeking capital funding.

You can start with as little as USD 25 to help fund a loan.
Andrew-

I agree. Kiva is a great organization. I've donated a couple times before.
I've been in the Big Brother Program for seven years, and defintley would reccomend this as the service. Not only does it make you a better man, but you get to mentor a child into becoming a better man.
It doesnt take up as much time as you think, and is a great way to give back to the community. Definltey check out the big brother website
I've heard good things about the Big Brother program, from both the mentor and mentee. What do you usually do with your little brother?
He loves movies, so we've watched a lot of movies over the years. Throw in go karts, paintball, the beach, and videogames and weve done a lot of things together. Probably my favorite was playing basketball in a bounce house his grandparents had rented for his bday. As he's gotten older it has been easier to talk to have a better influence on him (or atleast its easier to observe the effects of my mentorship) And now that hes a senior in high school, I get a lot of questions about adult hood. I dont know them all but I try my best to answer them.
Bully to you Craig! Way to fight injustice!
A friend of ours recently lost his battle with cancer. Several friends and I and our families were planning to have a work day today at his house for his widow and their 4 children, but the repairs to their roof aren't yet finished. When the roof work is completed, we'll get to help them out.
Basically completed all the tasks this week except create a budget. I don't really have expenses outside of costs of general tomfoolery being only 19 and on summer break, so I didn't know what to budget for. Otherwise

-made a meal - barbecued for myself and a few friends
-talked to some random people - running errands and at a party where I didnt know some people
-found my NUTs - these will change as I get older but its a good start
-scheduled a physical - didn't actually schedule one per se, but I have one this summer before I start volunteering

Today's task: Perform service
- Signed up about a month or two ago to be a volunteer firefigher. The township is taking forever to process the paperwork.
- Put the gears in motion and I'll soon be starting my own health website to share my knowledge on health and fitness.

RSS

Latest Activity

Curtis replied to Rob --'s discussion 22 year old wanting a style change?
"Hi Rob,   I'm 23 and going through a sartorial renaissance myself!   I'm actually growing my hair out, probably to around the length you currently have.  I'm going for a tidy-ish tied back look as a contrast to the…"
12 minutes ago
Jesse D commented on Leo Doom Occulta's group Gentlemen Atheists
"Landon, funnily enough, I'm working the other way around. As an ex-Christian who became an agnostic Atheist and then returned to Christianity again. I also 'participate' in both groups."
2 hours ago
Jay D replied to Pete's discussion How do I address my friends parents.
"Completly depends on your realtionship with them. Mr. and Mrs. cant be wrong but since you are 26 i doubt it would bother them if you use first names."
3 hours ago
Brad Williams replied to Steve Dallas's discussion Things that give discomfort over comfort in the group Gentlemen Atheists
"@Steve Dallas Since you wanted anecdotes from other faiths, and none have been forthcoming, I have some for you: 1.  In Taiwan, people routinely go onto the street outside of their apartment building with a little rolling metal can, about the…"
5 hours ago
Brad Williams replied to Steve Dallas's discussion Things that give discomfort over comfort in the group Gentlemen Atheists
"I feel like the question of where everything came from is about the most meaningless question to human life as we could think of.  The lack of an answer to that question does not justify religion and it doesn't justify the scientific…"
5 hours ago
Matt Eo commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"Just a few months ago, I actually saw a couple of guys go into a Lowe's sans shirts.  No one said anything and I actually saw them in the checkout line almost 30 minutes later.  I figured that with my luck, I would definitely be asked…"
6 hours ago
Matt Eo replied to Stein's discussion Essential shirtless experiences growing up. in the group The Shirtless Man
"Completely agree, but hate the sunburn too.  Obviously showering is a shirtless experience, but my favorite experience in the sun has always been an outdoor/roofless shower on the south side of a beach or lake house.  Great way to wake up…"
6 hours ago
Nate Thallas replied to David Johns's discussion Toilet seat
"I get upset when my fiancé leaves the toilet seat down. The cat needs to drink, and he isn't strong enough to lift the lid!"
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service