If you're like me, you often don't realize you've got some scuffed up shoes until you're already out the door and headed to an important appointment. Well, we're going to prevent that from happening by shining all our shoes today.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/01/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-2-...

Bust out the Kiwi, grab a few rags, and sit on the porch while you enter a zen like state as you buff and shine your leather shoes.

How many shoes did you end up shining? Any tips?

Views: 4072

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, I don't have any shoes that need to be polished. So, instead I think I'll iron some shirts.

C
Great idea Cormac!
I was about to say "What if I don't have any shoes to polish?"
Wonderful idea, as Brett has already said. Now to figure out HOW to iron my shirts, and where the iron is. It's an adventure in the making.
Haha I was not expecting such a practical exercise after yesterday's. I have a real good pair of shoes that need cleaning. I'm also going to check online about how to clean a pair of timberland boots.
I will have to break them out and give them a clean once I get home from campus tonight. I think I might get around to cleaning my other shoes as well, they are looking a bit scruffy overall now that I look at them....
I was lucky enough to inherit my grandfather's horsehair shine brush and applicator brush from WWII. All I need is some black shoe polish and I'll be set!
Sadly I don't have any shoe polish, but my grandpa does;
Wouldn't hurt to give them a good shine.

I think ironing might be a good idea, too.
I love the idea of Rubbing Alcohol... I have about 4 pairs of dress shoes that I am going to attack.... The job tends to be more time-consuming and I tend to procrastinate - no more - off to make my shoes look good!
I can give you a few links to retailers that my store uses in the morning, if you'd like.
Douglas here are a few links for non leather dress shoes.

www.mooshoes.com

www.veganessentials.com

www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk
Well, as I looked through our retailers today, I came to realize that for me to give you a link, it would be best to clarify the question. Are you looking for something that looks like leather, but isn't made of it? Are you looking for something that's entirely different? A solution to both of these problems are shoes made of PVC. Yes, they make pipes out of it too. Kind of kills the sales pitch, but it's constructed much differently then the pipes, I assure you. PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride, and has many common uses. Nike actually used to use it for their shoes. For instance, if you want to see some pretty nice ones, you can stop in at any Certified Savvi formal wear store, and talk to them about shoes. I can get you a good price on a pair, if that's the route you go. Although, so we don't clog up the comments section with fashion talk, how's about we continue this through private messages?
Being that I don't have shoes to shine, being i just had them shined before a wedding a few months back(would have done it myself but hadn't found this great site yet, plus its a few bucks for the hardworking guy down at the car wash by me) and we don't yet have an iron, wash and fold the laundry for the soon to be wife.

RSS

Latest Activity

Leto Atreides II updated their profile
3 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"True about the 'not norm' thing, Rowe has made a decent living doing something that he apparently likes even though it was not his original passion.  I think that happens quite often when we find out that our passions won't pay…"
11 minutes ago
Grecia E. G. replied to Grecia E. G.'s discussion Teddy and the Spanish American War. in the group Teddy Roosevelt Appreciators
"Thanks! I'm excited to give that podcast a listen!"
12 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Nathan Kemp's discussion How to teach sportsmanship in the group Fathers and Sons
"He'll get over it.  You'll get over it. He's five, and this comes with the territory. First question, where's the coach?  A kid who's throwing a tantrum because his team is losing needs to be benched.  No…"
13 minutes ago
Lee Hutch joined Slacker's group
Thumbnail

Writers

A place for writers to discuss and critique projects.
14 minutes ago
David F. replied to David F.'s discussion Civilization Restart Garden
"Yep I know it is hard.  I have to say this months Nat Geo has a great article on the two differing methods of GMO plant production and our advances in food crop production."
14 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"Although a little bit of insanity helps I think Josh has crossed the line, several times."
15 minutes ago
Profile IconLee Hutch and Grecia E. G. joined Raj's group
Thumbnail

History Buffs

A place for history buffs to discuss historical issues and expand the knowledge of our past. Whether your into US history, European history, African history, or any other, come join us!See More
16 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service