Today's task requires us to define our 5 core values: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/05/31/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-1-...

Feel free to share what your core values are. If you think they're too personal and don't want to share, that's completely fine. But still let us know whether or not you completed the task.

Look forward to reading your core values!

Views: 27444

Replies to This Discussion

The five parts of Cormac's Code:
1. Honor, not honors
2. Speak the truth, but speak it in a way that does not cause undue pain.
3. Do not make promises lightly, and when you do make a promise, treat it with the gravity it deserves.
4. Treat all people with respect until they show you they don't deserve respect.
5. Bitch less, do more.

Definitely great choices...#5 made me laugh.

Great codes.

Right on man..

My core values:

Family
Community
Security
Service
Adventure
1. My word is my word, if i make a commitment i follow through with it
2. Don't complain about useless stuff
3. I speak the truth, dont beat around the bush just say it
4. quality over quantity, especially when it comes to friends
5. have fun, do what you want to do not what someone else says to do
My Prioritized core values:
1. Service
2. Competence
3. Creativity
4. Achievement
5. Integrity
1. Keep an open mind and listen to all sides of an argument
2. Respect opinions that differ from your own
3. Defend and protect those weaker than yourself
4. Honor your commitments
5. Never stop learning

Nicely put.

Being a person of service
Compassion for others
Following through on what I say
Life long education
Taking care of myself physically
1. Steadfast relationship with Christ.

It is our primary purpose to serve our Lord and develop our relationship with Him. All our values, morals, and principles begin in God. As God began His commandments by which we should live our lives so should we begin any system by which we would judge our lives.

2. Responsibility to family.

It is our duty as men to provide for those on our family. We provide not only sustenance, but leadership, comfort, Godly example, care, protection, and loving discipline to our children and wives. We are also to provide refuge for family in need of what we would give any of our own children. As our parents gave to us so we should freely return to them.

3. Honor.

Honor for not just our selves but for our neighbors as well. Respect is a word that honor must walk hand in hand with. I know of no better show of honor than that displayed in the Knights Code of Chivalry that includes traits such as: loyalty, faithfulness, honesty, trustworthiness, bravery, etc.

4. Diligent work ethic.

A man should take pride in any task that he sets his mind and body to. It has been said that it is a great gift of God for a man to work hard at work worth doing. If we believe a job is not worth our full effort, then we dishonor ourselves with our own sense of self-importance.

5. Compassion.

Empathy for those who are not as blessed in one area or another as we might be. The ability to take a step out of our controlled world and help our neighbor through a difficult time by not merely acknowledging their situation but also taking action to assist them in this struggle.

Well said, Matt.  Although, I have just started contemplating what my top five are, you have stated a very likeminded core of values. 

RSS

Latest Activity

T Will replied to Paul's discussion Best concert you've been to
"I went to the Rolling Stones in 2007 with someone with whom I'm no longer friendly. They kicked the concert off with Start Me Up and I've raved about it ever since."
11 minutes ago
Rebekah replied to Marco Rodrigues's discussion What should I wear for my senior portraits?
"Maybe younger generations are sheltered.  For the yearbook photos, we had tops provided by the photography studio (fake evening gowns for girls; fake tuxes for boys), so the photos would have the same format."
15 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Marco Rodrigues's discussion What should I wear for my senior portraits?
"Well, my father had to wear a suit & tie for high school senior photos.  I got by with a shirt and tie. "
22 minutes ago
Joe W replied to Joe W's discussion The Talk in the group Fathers and Sons
"Poor guy. But it is a funny story."
44 minutes ago
Joe W replied to Joe W's discussion Comparing Bodies / Looking Ahead in the group Fathers and Sons
"LOL... how many times have you copy and pasted this post? I think I've read it at least three times today."
45 minutes ago
Joe W replied to Joe W's discussion Introductions in the group Fathers and Sons
"Hey Tim. I can honestly say that nobody is ready for the selflessness that comes with parenthood. It's something you have to learn and perfect over time. That's how it was in my experience any way."
50 minutes ago
Profile Icon2 members updated their profile photos
ThumbnailThumbnail
58 minutes ago
Jonathan Stone replied to Matthew Perry's discussion How to avoid looking like a hipster in the group Manly Hats!
"Many thanks, Matthew.  I'll go have a look at that article."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service