30 Days to a Better Man 2009

Information

30 Days to a Better Man 2009

The official group for the 2009 30 Days to a Better Man Project.

Members: 1314
Latest Activity: 10 hours ago

Discussion Forum

30 Days to a Better Man Day 3: Find a Mentor

Started by Brett McKay. Last reply by Ryan Shepard 10 hours ago. 208 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of 30 Days to a Better Man 2009 to add comments!

Comment by Ryan Shepard 21 hours ago

I have one pair to shine.

Comment by Sergio Sanchez on July 3, 2014 at 11:10pm

Shiny shoes baby !!!

Comment by Kurt on December 22, 2013 at 11:46pm

Where's the rundown on the days?

Comment by Joseph L Martin on October 15, 2013 at 8:05pm
To properly shine shoes you can apply wax and use brush to get a regular shine. If you want a high gloss shine try this. Use an old cotton t shirt. Wrap it around your index finger or first two fingers so there is no wrinkles. Dip your cloth covered fingers in warm water quickly. You don't want it soaking. In a circular motion get a small amount of shoe polish onto cloth. You only want to really shine the tip of your shoe up to where the natural crack is from bending your foot. In a circular motion with a little pressure rub wax into shoe until you get desired shine. It can take about 20 minutes on your first go round . Make sure you keep a good momentum with your circles . Its the heat from the slight friction that gives you the shine. I did this everyday in the military when you actually had to shine your boots. Good luck . On a side note brown wax doesn't get as high of a gloss as black.
Comment by Lance on October 14, 2013 at 9:48pm

I've heard most of this material before, but never really taken it to heart. Thats got to change. From here on in, I pledge to complete this challenge. To stick with it and live by my values and be the man my forefathers were and would have wanted me to be.

Comment by Dennis Israel Arellano-Manrique on September 18, 2013 at 12:41pm

So I've been constantly procrastinating about this challenge but I was finally able to put it on paper for day 1. Now on to day two!

Comment by Dennis Israel Arellano-Manrique on September 4, 2013 at 2:07am

have you tried brushing it until it shines? I've been in your shoes in terms of your problem and that's always worked for me.

Comment by Ruger Pearson on August 12, 2013 at 5:45pm

I completed day 2 today. I shined my pair of black dress shoes and they look much better than when I started. However, after shining with kiwi black polish for about 45 minutes my shoes never reached the level of shininess that I had expected. They finished with a moderately reflective matte color and wouldn't get shinier. What can I do to fix this?

Comment by Cody on June 7, 2013 at 1:52pm

Well. Here goes. To you gentlemen here, I pledge to hold myself to this challenge as much as my active duty military schedule permits. Especially with an upcoming move to Fort Carson, Colorado in the next few weeks. I will do my best amidst the chaos to take the time each day to perform that days task and reflect on myself as a man. I'm at a point in my early 20's where such reflection is needed. A newly minted Sergeant in the Armor Corps, a new husband and father to be. For those I love, am committed to constant improvement.

Comment by Tiancheng on April 14, 2013 at 9:59am

I think something really interesting occurred to me. I completed the first task on Day 1 (the day before yesterday), but yesterday I didn't get time to do Day 2 task, which was my bad and lack of control my time. Today I was out with a friend and I noticed my shoes were not shining (it was interesting that I didn't notice it until today), and it does not look good. Back home I thought I'd made up Day 2 task and surprisingly it is "Shine your shoes"!

It's late today so I will have my shoes shone tomorrow. And I realized one of the difficult features regarding this 30-day training is that keeping the pace, one task each day. A good cultivation of persistence. I will try not to miss the "Today's task" in future.

Members (1314)

Latest Activity

George Henry Robbins III commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"Thank you Alejandro."
8 minutes ago
Kurt replied to Joseph Robert's discussion Awkward circumstance with my son
"JR, I applaud your transparency, candor and frankness to your son. This experience will be one that he will remember forever, as it obviously brought the two of you closer together. He most likely will feel that he can talk to you about anything,…"
27 minutes ago
Kurt left a comment for Chip DeWitt
"Welcome to the tribe Chip. You'll find this site to be a wealth of information and a great venue. Welcome aboard! "
43 minutes ago
Alejandro De La Garza added a discussion to the group The Shirtless Man
Thumbnail

Colorado gymnastics teacher Dylan Schuetz falls 100 feet down cliff, lands on his feet

Did any of you see this story?  Colorado gymnastics teacher Dylan Schuetz was cliff-climbing recently with some of his buddies, when he fell some 100 feet.  Amazingly, he survived, albeit with both legs broken, and says he put his gymnastics training into use the moment he lost his grip.  He also happened to be shirtless at the time, which is common for male cliff climbers.  And, as a former gymnast, I know most guys practice gymnastics shirtless.  I certainly hope he makes a complete recovery…See More
49 minutes ago
Umanisti joined thehuhman's group
Thumbnail

Men Over 50

For the slightly older guys. (those who've already received the letter from AARP!) Let's just see how many of us are proud to have made it this far!See More
52 minutes ago
Kurt commented on Adam Parker's photo
Thumbnail

"This pic could win an award. Where's it at? I love it!"
1 hour ago
Will replied to Will's discussion Moral relativism in the group The Great Debate
"It is indeed possible to do ethics and politics without knowing their rational basis.  Doesn't mean we can't explore that rational basis anyway.  Whatever takes your interest."
1 hour ago
Umanisti joined Uncle Rev's group
Thumbnail

BBQ Pit Masters

The perfect place for pit masters, far and wide, to come share tips, techniques, recipes, and pretty much anything BBQ and Grilling Related.
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service