So today my wife and I found out that we are having a boy. This is our first child, so we are still experiencing everything for the first time, and it's a wild ride. We're very excited. I thought that since we're having a boy, I'd ask all you fathers of boys what your favorite parts of raising boys are. What do you enjoy most? On the other hand, what do you enjoy least?

Views: 100

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having fun together; seeing that we like the same things.

Most - Getting to re-experience all the wonders of childhood.  Not boy specific, but having a mini-you adds just a bit to the fun.  Especially Legos.

Least - Cleaning the bathroom.  Hated it when I shared a bathroom with brothers, hate it just as much with my boys.  We are working on getting them to clean it right, but it is still a work in progress.

the early years up to 12 were wonderful and when they reached adulthood but I hate to tell you that adolescence was really difficult but we got through it and we had three in a row like steps of a stairs. We used to wish we had a daughter that it might have been easier but it all turned out fine and they are all married with children of their own now.

We were probably too lenient with them and spoiled them too much. 

Cub Scouts. is great.  I'm not an out going guy but I will for my son so I'm his Den Leader so he gets a great experience and the focus on what I think is cool.  Also it has a solid value set that is a great reference. 

Least, Trying to raise him well when you still get stupid gender specific statements.  Having to check out every cartoon or program to be sure it fits your values.  But these are just the concerns of parenting not parenting boys.

I was the number two parent, he would always go to my lady love for everything.  That was emotionally hard to some degree.  But I suspect every child has their default parent when they are really young. 

Pee everywhere. It's ridiculous. 

Otherwise, I don't know if its boy specific, but just the pure joy at childhood. Running in the woods, catching fish, lego. Lots of Lego. Science in general - everything is an exploration and investigation. 

Pee everywhere.

You got that right. My principal advice to new diaper changers is to #1 spread out an aureola of wipes/towels around the kid before you take the dirty one off. You have no idea what's going to happen. 

Even six years on we also still have aim control issues. And occasionally random "go pee on a tree outside" moments. :/

RSS

Latest Activity

Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Great q!  IDK.  But I suspect Analects, I Ching, Dao de Cheng, and Buddhist parables will be important.  Would like to get an expert opinion."
6 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"Which stories provide the base generic thematic imagery of Asian literature? What are the headwaters from which it all flows? For Western literature it's the Bible and Greek Myth. With that foundation you can understand just about everything…"
25 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"Ah. Our form of government predates the left/right labels, so how we describe it is skewed from the rest of the world. Republicanism is, of course, a left wing form of government. But, because it's the only one we've ever had,…"
33 minutes ago
"Essential SF/Fantasy is way easier Foundation Canticle for Leibowitz Dawn/Imago/Adulthood Rites Lathe of Heaven Martian Chronicles Islands in the Net Neuromancer I, Robot Mote in God's Eye A Million Open Doors etc. Ender's Game/Speaker…"
49 minutes ago
"I don't understand that question (even if not addressed to me, I want to know)."
56 minutes ago
Sir added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Spacefaring civilization

Somebody, apparently, is going to Mars -- or so the President and the Congress intend.https://futurism.com/us-government-issues-nasa-demand-get-humans-to-mars-by-2033/See More
56 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"What do you have to access Asian literature?"
1 hour ago
Braeden replied to Pale Horse's discussion Required Reading
"As a bonus my idea of essential fantasy. The Hobbit- JRR Tolkien  The Lord of the Rings- JRR Tolkien  A Song of Ice and Fire, the first three books- George RR Martin  Some Conan the Barbarian short stories from Robert E Howard Some…"
1 hour ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service