Mine would be Shubert's "Ave maria" (D. 832, Op. 52, #6 for you purists out there)

I share in hopes that others will share their favorites, and I might discover something new to me.

Views: 808

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@LSheildes

AMAZON.  Got the albums, downloadable onto a Kindle.

And you aren't dealing with "The House of Mouse."

I prefer Night on Disco Mountain.

I may have to play this sweetmeat on my show.

Beethoven Symphony #9
Carl Nielsen - Symphony #4
Mahler's Symphony #3
Shostakovich's Symphony #7
Smetana's The Moldau(Ma Vlast)
Wagner - Siegfried Idyll

I know, I know some aren't actually 'classical'.

Pachelbel's Canon in D. When we had it played at our Wedding 20 years ago it was not as ubiquitous as it is now.

Mozart's Requiem conducted by Karl Bohm. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DsJ5YQr5s

At the moment:

Mozart - Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, K. 331
Gounod and Bach - Ave Maria

Arvo Part - Fratres

The thing that gets me about this piece is that the basic harmonic structure is very simple and rigid -- in the sense that the patterns could be completely described with a few lines of instructions -- but it has an unexplainable mystery and depth despite that. There are many arrangements, but I'll post cello and piano here. The cello's sul ponticello (the thin and delicate sound when it is bowed near the bridge) at the end is incredibly beautiful.

Maurice Ravel - Miroirs

Each of these five piano pieces illustrates an image of sound, sometimes quite clearly (the birds in #2, crashing waves in #3, tolling bells in #5). They really push the expressive range of the piano, with melody, harmony, and rhythm used far beyond their usual purposes. All are quite enjoyable at first listen, but they also hold many fascinating details and complexities that come out with careful study (I have worked on the two easier movements). #3, Une barque sur l'océan (a boat on the ocean) is probably the most striking, but my favorite is #5, La vallée des cloches (the valley of the bells).

All five parts, as a playlist:

Also, let me say that symphonies are boring. There.

Fratres IS very nice. A bit frantic at the start, but I suppose that's the intent. As for symphonies - I suppose they are a bit boring, but the structure was probably helpful before recorded music was available - an audience member knew what to expect and could plan their evening of listening accordingly. I like the sonatas... Thanks for posting!

"The Young Prince and Young Princess" by Rimsky-Korsakov

and

"Standchen" by Franz Schubert

Mozart Concerto 622 is my absolute favorite, out of many.

It's a lovely romp between a clarinet and orchestra, so simple, almost childlike in its joy. The middle piece is a lullaby from heaven, gets me right there.

For me personally the piece brings back fond memories of being back in my mid-twenties, living without a care in my own little world.

the Brandenburg Concertos

Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei

One time in college there was a tornado watch and I just happened to be in the music building at the time that the acapella choir was working on the piece. We were all sent to the blackbox theater in the basement where I got a practically private concert. Beautiful.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Vytautas's discussion Favorite/Most Interesting Battle in the group Armchair Generals
"I thought the same thing when she said that.  Thought it never dawned on me, I would've figured they taught Kentucky History in Kentucky, Washington History in Washington, California History in California, etc.   Apparently…"
10 minutes ago
Vytautas replied to Vytautas's discussion Favorite/Most Interesting Battle in the group Armchair Generals
"I'm just surprised that state history is not standard in any place."
19 minutes ago
Vytautas replied to Vytautas's discussion Favorite/Most Interesting Battle in the group Armchair Generals
"Democracy, both for Greeks and the modern West, is very loaded. It is also a very vague term. Extremely vague for a term of such cultural importance. This is an interesting phenomenon, as one might expect there to be a solid definition of democracy…"
21 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Vytautas's discussion Favorite/Most Interesting Battle in the group Armchair Generals
"Is it?  I honestly have no idea ... which is why I use the former-sister-in-law anecdote.  That's the extent of my experience with non-Texas public schools. JB"
26 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Regular Joe's discussion To circumcise or not to circumcise . . .
"Might as well not have kids then. After all, you're putting them through so much trauma, forcing them out of their warm haven and pushing them through a little canal, only to have a tough life ahead of them, where they encounter people who…"
35 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Jack Bauer's discussion The Everyday Badass ...
"So every time the crook that was left moved, he got kicked. LOL"
40 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Regular Joe's discussion To circumcise or not to circumcise . . .
"Nah.  I have three.  They couldn't hold me down if they tried. JB"
40 minutes ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to adamkevinlee's discussion Meet Your Perfect Partner
"Not. You'll never know untill your face to face, no matter how truthful/well put together an account is"
42 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service