Mine would be Shubert's "Ave maria" (D. 832, Op. 52, #6 for you purists out there)

I share in hopes that others will share their favorites, and I might discover something new to me.

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@LSheildes

AMAZON.  Got the albums, downloadable onto a Kindle.

And you aren't dealing with "The House of Mouse."

I prefer Night on Disco Mountain.

I may have to play this sweetmeat on my show.

Beethoven Symphony #9
Carl Nielsen - Symphony #4
Mahler's Symphony #3
Shostakovich's Symphony #7
Smetana's The Moldau(Ma Vlast)
Wagner - Siegfried Idyll

I know, I know some aren't actually 'classical'.

Pachelbel's Canon in D. When we had it played at our Wedding 20 years ago it was not as ubiquitous as it is now.

If I can only pick one, it is: Second Move't of Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto...Opus 67.

Mozart's Requiem conducted by Karl Bohm. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DsJ5YQr5s

At the moment:

Mozart - Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, K. 331
Gounod and Bach - Ave Maria

Arvo Part - Fratres

The thing that gets me about this piece is that the basic harmonic structure is very simple and rigid -- in the sense that the patterns could be completely described with a few lines of instructions -- but it has an unexplainable mystery and depth despite that. There are many arrangements, but I'll post cello and piano here. The cello's sul ponticello (the thin and delicate sound when it is bowed near the bridge) at the end is incredibly beautiful.

Maurice Ravel - Miroirs

Each of these five piano pieces illustrates an image of sound, sometimes quite clearly (the birds in #2, crashing waves in #3, tolling bells in #5). They really push the expressive range of the piano, with melody, harmony, and rhythm used far beyond their usual purposes. All are quite enjoyable at first listen, but they also hold many fascinating details and complexities that come out with careful study (I have worked on the two easier movements). #3, Une barque sur l'océan (a boat on the ocean) is probably the most striking, but my favorite is #5, La vallée des cloches (the valley of the bells).

All five parts, as a playlist:

Also, let me say that symphonies are boring. There.

Fratres IS very nice. A bit frantic at the start, but I suppose that's the intent. As for symphonies - I suppose they are a bit boring, but the structure was probably helpful before recorded music was available - an audience member knew what to expect and could plan their evening of listening accordingly. I like the sonatas... Thanks for posting!

"The Young Prince and Young Princess" by Rimsky-Korsakov

and

"Standchen" by Franz Schubert

So many to choose from.  Will start with Mozart's Requiem, especially the Dies Irae movement! Also coming to mind today is anything by Richard Wagner because of his bold use of brass instruments.  Will post more as they come to me.   Oh, and most of what the Russian 5 composed - especially Mussorgsky and Rimsky-Korsakov's works. 

Mozart Concerto 622 is my absolute favorite, out of many.

It's a lovely romp between a clarinet and orchestra, so simple, almost childlike in its joy. The middle piece is a lullaby from heaven, gets me right there.

For me personally the piece brings back fond memories of being back in my mid-twenties, living without a care in my own little world.

RSS

Latest Activity

Liam S. replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue in the group The Great Debate
"Neither. Extremist positions (on either side) are not productive."
43 minutes ago
Nick H replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"As a hyperactive kid, I would've been screwed in today's school. No way I would've made it to lunch without a break. Also, I'm sure in today's world I would've been drugged. My primary school teacher told my mother that…"
48 minutes ago
Andrew D, USA Ret added a discussion to the group The Great Debate
Thumbnail

Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue

Much of the hysteria, hatred and vituperation slung against Bundy and his supporters, in my opinion have little to do with the legal matters and much to do with the frightening image to some of armed citizens confronting legal enforcers of the law, regardless of the cause. The anti-2nd amendment crowd is in full cry over this, like hounds baying at a treed rapist of color in the old south. Bundy's supporters have been labeled by some anti-gun hysterics as mouth-breathing morons in 2nd-hand…See More
1 hour ago
Will replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Atheism ascendant throughout the world? Evidence shows the opposite in the group The Great Debate
"I'd take info on any country.  Iran?  Afghanistan?  Iraq?  Turkey?  Yemen?"
2 hours ago
Will commented on Herb Munson's group The Great Debate
"So (John) which is worse:  to have company X cancel your plan, or to have the government outlaw your plan, so that no company can offer it? Whatever your answer, it should be clear that thinking governments should not cancel severely ill…"
2 hours ago
Will replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"Worked with, in what context?  Teacher?"
2 hours ago
Will replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"My home state outlawed recess one time.  I don't know if they repealed the ban. I tend to assume the public schools will get on board with random new and bad trends.  After all, they dumped phonics for sight reading, leading parents…"
2 hours ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Atheism ascendant throughout the world? Evidence shows the opposite in the group The Great Debate
"J. Muir: "Nope - the spread of the gospel is unstoppable." Muhammad's warriors felt the same about Islam, and still do. I do believe what you wrote to be just as much wishful thinking as the Chinese woman's in the quote I…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service