I was writing a thank you note last night and when I was finished with the note, I was extremely satisfied with the end product and the experience of writing it.  Although I don't do it as much as I should, I have always enjoyed writing notes to friends and family.

I try to integrate some nice touches into writing and personalizing my notes, and I always like to finish it off by using sealing wax on the envelope with a stamp that has my initials on it. 

Then, the thought occurred to me as to whether anyone else chooses to do this.  I know that in the day and age of self sealing envelopes a wax seal has little value, but I think that it adds a level of sophistication that makes receiving the letter even more special.  

So, what are your thoughts on wax sealing?

Views: 812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was against it, but now I'm nearly converted.
If you are in fact converted to seals and sealing-wax, it may be helpful to know that you may carve your own seals from soapstone- it is quite easy to do, and is also rewarding.
Interesting. I have 14 soapstone pawns on which to practice.
The base of a soapstone chess pawn would make an ideal seal, sir- and such a carving would not interfere with its continued use as a pawn...
Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to purchase quality seals? I've done google searches and come up with several options, but some of which I don't really like the fonts they offer, and about none of which do I know their reputations for quality. Any ideas here?
This site www.ghh.com/glf has some interesting ideas for ways to fold letters in different ways.

I was advised by one who knows more about this than I that Atelier Gargoyle wax holds up well in the mail.
I've never used a wax seal for a letter, but I like the idea.
And here I was just going to start a post!  I'm thinking about getting into it.  Manly because it's old fashioned.

RSS

Latest Activity

Carl Monster commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"Can't stand birthdays either. Don't care so much about the aging, I dislike the expectations behind it. The attention, or non-attention (so and so forgot my birthday) both suck."
4 minutes ago
Conor Gallagher posted a discussion

Kilts

Kilts, yea or nay?  I'm of Scottish descent, I'm proud of it, and I know from a fact, by wearing a highland great kilt, that they're comfortable and functional.  What do you all think?See More
6 minutes ago
Charles Indelicato commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"Cheers to you, George."
27 minutes ago
George Henry Robbins III commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"OK, hope you change your mind."
33 minutes ago
"I hear you, George.  My uncle turns 96 next month... so I get your point.  My point is I haven't made a deal about in over 25 years, and am not about to start now. "
50 minutes ago
George Henry Robbins III commented on thehuhman's group Men Over 50
"Disagree Charles, you should do something special for yourself. You could live to be 100 and now you are just halfway through  life. I am 55 and still participate in sports and other activities. A few months ago I was carded (have good genes).…"
52 minutes ago
"Elon, I'll celebrate 50 the way I rang in 40 and 30 ... I don't.  Somewhere around 23 or 24 I had a kick-ass party for myself, and then decided that was it - I had celebrated enough.  Since then, I don't do birthdays.…"
1 hour ago
Jack Bauer replied to Regular Joe's discussion Next In Court: The Christian Student Job Applicant VS The Norse Viking Employer in the group The Great Debate
"No.  That would run afoul of sexual harassment laws and possibly religious mandate laws (depending on whether the Nordic thing was religious).  You can't base employment decisions on sexual favors or participation in…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service