I was writing a thank you note last night and when I was finished with the note, I was extremely satisfied with the end product and the experience of writing it.  Although I don't do it as much as I should, I have always enjoyed writing notes to friends and family.

I try to integrate some nice touches into writing and personalizing my notes, and I always like to finish it off by using sealing wax on the envelope with a stamp that has my initials on it. 

Then, the thought occurred to me as to whether anyone else chooses to do this.  I know that in the day and age of self sealing envelopes a wax seal has little value, but I think that it adds a level of sophistication that makes receiving the letter even more special.  

So, what are your thoughts on wax sealing?

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was against it, but now I'm nearly converted.
If you are in fact converted to seals and sealing-wax, it may be helpful to know that you may carve your own seals from soapstone- it is quite easy to do, and is also rewarding.
Interesting. I have 14 soapstone pawns on which to practice.
The base of a soapstone chess pawn would make an ideal seal, sir- and such a carving would not interfere with its continued use as a pawn...
Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to purchase quality seals? I've done google searches and come up with several options, but some of which I don't really like the fonts they offer, and about none of which do I know their reputations for quality. Any ideas here?
This site www.ghh.com/glf has some interesting ideas for ways to fold letters in different ways.

I was advised by one who knows more about this than I that Atelier Gargoyle wax holds up well in the mail.
I've never used a wax seal for a letter, but I like the idea.
And here I was just going to start a post!  I'm thinking about getting into it.  Manly because it's old fashioned.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"Hmmm Day 2 -add presentation class -add to assignment PowerPoint Day 3 -present PowerPoint of day 2 assignment -add debate class/how to argue"
3 hours ago
John Muir replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
" Time management Organizational skills Healthy, economic cooking "
3 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"Nice!"
3 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Travis Prater's discussion A question regarding mailboxes...
"I usually end up taking it to the post office itself, but you could try taping an "outgoing mail" note to the front and handle of the box. "
3 hours ago
"I think I could build this into a week. Let's see. Day 1 -fact acquisition --multi source v single source --vetting sources *assignment--euthanasia (or other contentious issue not constitutionally settled) **Provide materials from all sides of…"
3 hours ago
Vendetta replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"This is pretty much along the lines of what I was going to say."
3 hours ago
David F. replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"How to calculate interest / debt payments. Have them know what they will be on the hook for if the keep getting there current loans. How to estimate calculate retirement savings.  How to cook a simple meal of rice, beans, veggies and eggs.…"
4 hours ago
"Suppress the confirmation bias."
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service