I was writing a thank you note last night and when I was finished with the note, I was extremely satisfied with the end product and the experience of writing it.  Although I don't do it as much as I should, I have always enjoyed writing notes to friends and family.

I try to integrate some nice touches into writing and personalizing my notes, and I always like to finish it off by using sealing wax on the envelope with a stamp that has my initials on it. 

Then, the thought occurred to me as to whether anyone else chooses to do this.  I know that in the day and age of self sealing envelopes a wax seal has little value, but I think that it adds a level of sophistication that makes receiving the letter even more special.  

So, what are your thoughts on wax sealing?

Views: 817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was against it, but now I'm nearly converted.
If you are in fact converted to seals and sealing-wax, it may be helpful to know that you may carve your own seals from soapstone- it is quite easy to do, and is also rewarding.
Interesting. I have 14 soapstone pawns on which to practice.
The base of a soapstone chess pawn would make an ideal seal, sir- and such a carving would not interfere with its continued use as a pawn...
Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to purchase quality seals? I've done google searches and come up with several options, but some of which I don't really like the fonts they offer, and about none of which do I know their reputations for quality. Any ideas here?
This site www.ghh.com/glf has some interesting ideas for ways to fold letters in different ways.

I was advised by one who knows more about this than I that Atelier Gargoyle wax holds up well in the mail.
I've never used a wax seal for a letter, but I like the idea.
And here I was just going to start a post!  I'm thinking about getting into it.  Manly because it's old fashioned.

RSS

Latest Activity

Will replied to Larry's discussion "Faith closes the mind. It is pure idol worship." in the group The Great Debate
"test"
1 hour ago
Michael Nuta posted a discussion

Blazer question?

Hey guys, so, while thrifting, I found a very nice black velvet blazer with a double vent , and it fits me well but I'm having doubts about buying it.Problem is I'm still in highschool and I'm worried that I won't get any opportunities to wear it, or that I will somehow outgrow it and it'll just sit around collecting dust.My question is, is this worth the purchase, and if so what opportunities do I have to wear a blazer without being overdressed? I'm slowly upgrading my style but this seems a…See More
2 hours ago
Mark Dockery updated their profile
3 hours ago
Hannah Carroll posted a photo
5 hours ago
Kyle Bradley joined Brett McKay's group
Thumbnail

30 Days to a Better Man 2009

The official group for the 2009 30 Days to a Better Man Project.
6 hours ago
Andrew Z replied to Jack Bauer's discussion The Everyday Badass ...
"100% badass."
8 hours ago
Jacob Edward posted a discussion

Howdy!

Howdy,I'm a junior at Texas A&M University. Looking forward to gaining advice and learning new things from this forum. I enjoy reading, learning languages (German and Russian), as well as travelling. See More
8 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Doug Sweet's discussion Greetings From Texas
"Welcome to AoM, Doug."
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service