I was writing a thank you note last night and when I was finished with the note, I was extremely satisfied with the end product and the experience of writing it.  Although I don't do it as much as I should, I have always enjoyed writing notes to friends and family.

I try to integrate some nice touches into writing and personalizing my notes, and I always like to finish it off by using sealing wax on the envelope with a stamp that has my initials on it. 

Then, the thought occurred to me as to whether anyone else chooses to do this.  I know that in the day and age of self sealing envelopes a wax seal has little value, but I think that it adds a level of sophistication that makes receiving the letter even more special.  

So, what are your thoughts on wax sealing?

Views: 804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was against it, but now I'm nearly converted.
If you are in fact converted to seals and sealing-wax, it may be helpful to know that you may carve your own seals from soapstone- it is quite easy to do, and is also rewarding.
Interesting. I have 14 soapstone pawns on which to practice.
The base of a soapstone chess pawn would make an ideal seal, sir- and such a carving would not interfere with its continued use as a pawn...
Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to purchase quality seals? I've done google searches and come up with several options, but some of which I don't really like the fonts they offer, and about none of which do I know their reputations for quality. Any ideas here?
This site www.ghh.com/glf has some interesting ideas for ways to fold letters in different ways.

I was advised by one who knows more about this than I that Atelier Gargoyle wax holds up well in the mail.
I've never used a wax seal for a letter, but I like the idea.
And here I was just going to start a post!  I'm thinking about getting into it.  Manly because it's old fashioned.

RSS

Latest Activity

Herb Munson left a comment for Randy Turner
"You took me up! lol Welcome to The Great Debate! "
20 minutes ago
Neil replied to Neil's discussion Things to do for guy's night out?
"Good thinking, I had not really thought about it. I would say around 3-4 hours on the weekend."
1 hour ago
Will replied to Neil's discussion Things to do for guy's night out?
"My guy's nights out are always to a pizza buffet with an arcade-game room.  I should point out that the other guys involved are 4 and 6.  I bring a book and let them play. What's more applicable:   poker lounging by a…"
2 hours ago
Rick Shelton commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

My O.D.T Collection (2014)

"Got it Josh, thanks."
2 hours ago
Penelope posted photos
3 hours ago
Penelope posted an album

French Cannon

This cannon was forged in France in 1754. It is now in the Presidio in San Francisco, near the old hospital, across the street from the YMCA parking lot.
3 hours ago
Daniel Rodriguez posted a photo
3 hours ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service