I was writing a thank you note last night and when I was finished with the note, I was extremely satisfied with the end product and the experience of writing it.  Although I don't do it as much as I should, I have always enjoyed writing notes to friends and family.

I try to integrate some nice touches into writing and personalizing my notes, and I always like to finish it off by using sealing wax on the envelope with a stamp that has my initials on it. 

Then, the thought occurred to me as to whether anyone else chooses to do this.  I know that in the day and age of self sealing envelopes a wax seal has little value, but I think that it adds a level of sophistication that makes receiving the letter even more special.  

So, what are your thoughts on wax sealing?

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was against it, but now I'm nearly converted.
If you are in fact converted to seals and sealing-wax, it may be helpful to know that you may carve your own seals from soapstone- it is quite easy to do, and is also rewarding.
Interesting. I have 14 soapstone pawns on which to practice.
The base of a soapstone chess pawn would make an ideal seal, sir- and such a carving would not interfere with its continued use as a pawn...
Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to purchase quality seals? I've done google searches and come up with several options, but some of which I don't really like the fonts they offer, and about none of which do I know their reputations for quality. Any ideas here?
This site www.ghh.com/glf has some interesting ideas for ways to fold letters in different ways.

I was advised by one who knows more about this than I that Atelier Gargoyle wax holds up well in the mail.
I've never used a wax seal for a letter, but I like the idea.
And here I was just going to start a post!  I'm thinking about getting into it.  Manly because it's old fashioned.

Latest Activity

John Smith replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"Craig, I really appreciate the insight. I'm leaning Wordpress but to be honest, I'm confused on just how much work is needed in for website upkeep (I know Wix/Weebly are much easier to use but more limited). Ideally, I would like to…"
58 minutes ago
Ian M replied to Ian M's discussion Told "I love you" after two months, I responded with silence
"On one level, I'm a bit confused, as everything points to me loving her: I think about her all the time, she makes me happier than any other woman I've dated, and I want to be with her (forever if possible). Yet, I just don't know if…"
2 hours ago
Profile IconMJB and Doug B joined Todd Serveto's group

Growing in Manliness

Men who want to grow in masculinity, develop stronger manly traits, and be more confident in manhood.
3 hours ago
StuttPros updated their profile
6 hours ago
Joseph Mcallen left a comment for Chip
"Hey, Chip. I had a class with a student, by the time I was done my 4 year old was out of school so had to pic him up and bring him home. Long story short, didn´t have time to get back to you. I´m sorry about that. I hope we can chat some…"
7 hours ago
Sir replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I once asked a (male) friend if I could call him any time of day or night if going cold turkey on TV got me into depression.  He told me later how much he was hoping I didn't choose the middle of the night... but he said sure.  I…"
11 hours ago
Joshua Paul Hood replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I was thinking of letting her know that she can call or text me any time of day if she needs to talk about anything. I just wasn't sure if that would be over stepping any boundaries in any way."
11 hours ago
Joshua Paul Hood replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"Thanks for advice."
11 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service