I am a 26 year old man and I've been with my 32 year old girlfriend for 3 great years. She is incredibly beautiful, loving, sexual, my family loves her, and we are in the same place in life (we agree on when to start a family, etc). I've recently been thinking about proposing but I'm beginning to hesitate because of our 6 year age gap. I can't help but think that I'm doing something out of the norm...

Is a 6 year gap not a big deal? I think I'm just getting cold feet and getting anxious over something incredibly negligible...

Views: 2240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Magnificent.

Awesome!  Congratulations!

I thought about it too, in my case, but people that I trusted said it was a non-issue, just like we did here.  Age difference can be an issue, so I don't think it's silly to consider it.  And having considered it, decide it's a non-issue and move on.

Have a beautiful wedding and a great life together!

My wife is 8 years older and we have been married since 1987, and I got married when I was 19. I was in the Army so we left our home town and all the family for four years and had to survive. The family had a great problem with that at the time (some still do). Before that I was dating a lady 16 years older than me so I thought I had made dramatic progress. I found the positives far outweighed any negatives. Good luck!

My wife is 9 years older than me.  We married when she was 36 and I was 27.  We both had been through failed relationships, and I think this actually made us more perceptive in picking out the "right one" the second time around.  Rather than simply lusting after each other, we started out as best friends before we decided to get in a relationship and get married.  This year we will have been happily married for 30 years.

I am 30 and my wife is 35. Honestly, with all the reasons you just gave (beautiful, loving, same place in life), would you really choose to throw those things away because of a small age difference? If so, I would tend to think you should also reevaluate if she is truly the one for you. With that said though, if all of those things are true, don't let the age bother you. I was a little unsure at the time as well, but as others have mentioned, as you get older the age gap seems to not stand out so much. Of course, my wife is Asian, and she doesn't appear to age a bit...so maybe I'm biased :-) 

I married the first time at 27 to a woman who was six years older and it was a disaster. Would like to say the age difference had nothing to do with it, but it did; she was a little further along in her career, past taking risks like I still wanted to take with my career - we didn't talk enough beforehand.

That said, it worked fine for my best friend. In fact, our wives were in the same high school class. She was studying law, he was getting an MBA, they were in absolute agreement about future plans, money, career, kids, etc.

How in sync are you and this lady? If you're in perfect sync, then six years ain't nothin'.

Don't mind age difference. Age is just a number. There are a lot of couples I know like you and they live happily. It's all about maturity. If you really believe you are both ready for it. 

My wife is 8 years younger than I am and today is our 33 Anniversary.  She keeps me young, just sayin...

RSS

Latest Activity

N. Vest replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"Thanks Joe "
3 hours ago
Chad commented on Stephen Larsen's group Banya Men!
"Stephen, yeah, it would be great to meet you."
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Shane's discussion Secret Lives of Men in the group The Great Debate
"No need to apologize, Will. Yes, we are all damaged in that regard. But relative to other humans since then, not everyone is damaged (emotionally). She did mention boys having their instincts bridled. That's what I meant by the playing in the…"
4 hours ago
Mike S. replied to Shane's discussion Secret Lives of Men in the group The Great Debate
"Why is masculinity so demonized? Also, why does having emotions have to be attributed to femininity? Anyways, sounds like she is accusing the world of pushing us into a certain role while she does the exact same thing with her interpretation of how…"
5 hours ago
bobby clyde posted a status
5 hours ago
Vytautas replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"Ironic that you're pushing another interlocutor for some "serious evidence" when you are so unwilling to do so yourself. "
5 hours ago
Mike S. replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"Coffee has been somewhat of an evolution for me. I used to only take it loaded with sugar and syrup and creamer. Over the years I have cut everything out. This was a conscious effort for me. You see, when you are in the field, the coffee tends to…"
5 hours ago
Vytautas replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"I think, Titus, that you made an observation on something that isn't in the text of Herodotus, which would nullify its value as an observation and transmogrify said named observation into an invention, a fiction."
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service