Where to find out: eclipse safety for mentally disabled

I'm sure we'll have no experts on the topic, but I can't even find experts on the topic.

The Internet is full of warnings of protecting your eyes during the upcoming eclipse.  But they assume you can, well, read Internet pages, and are responsible to follow instructions.  What about those who simply can't understand the danger or be trusted to follow instructions?  Like my 7-y-o, but, well, there are handicapped kids and adults all over the continent, and pretty much the whole continent is going to see a partial eclipse.

The best thing is to keep them indoors.  But for what time period?  How do we find out what percentage of totality you get at a location at a given time -- and at what percentage your natural instinct not to stare at bright things is no longer sufficient protection?

I'm planning to take other boy to the totality.  But as I talked to the handicapped guy's teacher, she said:  yes, and I think many of the parents of my kids simply won't be thinking of this problem.   We can keep 'em inside all day, but they ride home on the bus like 1 hr after our closest approach to totality.  Where they can look out the windows.  Urk.

So I think a lot of teachers and parents are going to want to know what to do about this:  say, when those kids can get on the bus safely and go home.

I FB'd a local astronomy prof who may be able to get the physics data.  But this is a bio as well as physics problem.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damn good questions, I would have thought it would have been easier to find the info.

Last eclipse I can remember was in '81 or '82 when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, but we had to stay in all day. I don't know what to expect at all.

Nasa has a basic safety page, but as you note, it doesn't address all those concerns, and is a bit non-specific. 

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

I know that some county schools here are holding kids and extra 15-60 minutes for safety. 

I emailed the system's SPED, and they said, essentially, "Thank you for your input.  We'll refer your concern to the principal at your school."  

My sense is the eclipse will have eased enough by dismissal it'll be OK, but IDK.  My child will be at therapy that day, so we can keep him indoors, but God help the others if the school system doesn't address this.  Especially the ones at the "kids so severely disabled it's this or the nursing home" facility.

RSS

Latest Activity

Sir replied to Adam Keynes's discussion If you had to choose a martial art to learn which would that be?
"Wapyāsu.  As in, "I am going to wapyāsu.""
5 hours ago
Braeden replied to Adam Keynes's discussion If you had to choose a martial art to learn which would that be?
"Hokuto Shin Ken."
6 hours ago
Adam Keynes posted a discussion
6 hours ago
Kevin Collier replied to Sir's discussion Total eclipse 8/21, US mainland
"Were were 10 miles from Carbondale, the top US spot. Boss shut down the shop, we grilled out and had a perfect view. Was a memorable experience!"
7 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Sir's discussion Total eclipse 8/21, US mainland
"We had 97% in ATL. Were not able to make the drive north to see the full shebang (I got called in on a contrac), but should be able to see the next one in seven years. A couple shots from Little Five Points."
7 hours ago
David R. replied to David R.'s discussion Do you speak German fluently?
"Thank you, Christian.  Here are the English and the (Google) German translation.  (I am hoping that I was successful in attaching a file to my Word document.  I guess we'll just have to see if it worked.)"
11 hours ago
Christian Schmidt replied to David R.'s discussion Do you speak German fluently?
"I can help you with that. Native born German and pretty much fluent in English."
13 hours ago
Sir replied to Sir's discussion Total eclipse 8/21, US mainland
"Yes.  Saw a ring of fire around a black disk.  Supposedly it was the corona, but it was plenty bright. Had so much fun looking thru my 2 pinhole cameras, seeing it on my tablet, and an occasional look thru eclipse glasses."
13 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service