I keep trying to turn this post into a four-paragraph ordeal. Short version:

See the attachment for a picture of me from about three months ago, to get an idea of how I dress on a normal day. (I've lost about 30 pounds since then, but that doesn't affect my shoes. And, obviously, I dress differently in summer.) I wear khakis when the occasion demands something that is not jeans.

Looking for something that works for casual wear with jeans, but can also work with a pair of khakis. Trouble is, I wear an 11 4E, and all I can seem to find are sneakers, sandals, moc toes, and things that are way too formal. To be clear: I hate moc toes, so those are out.

I'm going to try a pair of 11 W (2E equivalent) Durst saddles from Johnston & Murphy, in mahogany, but I'm not hopeful.

I feel like I've looked everywhere online already. Anyone happen to know a place I can get a brown or grey pair of one-color bucks/saddles/Oxfords that don't look way too formal with jeans... in my size?

(For reference, take a look at the saddles I ordered from J&M: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1620&pid=38880&...)

Views: 452

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Woops, said brown or grey (*and* linked to the brown shoes). Meant black or grey (and to link to the black ones). Obviously, other accessories (and coat) are black, so the shoes should ideally be black, too.

Hitchcock Shoes

I have a similar issue (11 1/2, EEE).  The extra wide sizes on some of the Aldens (I think it's the "Barrie" last) run really wide.  Try www.shoemart.com and don't hesitate to call them either.  Some folks there are very knowledgeable.

I think the Aldens are a bit out of my price range at the moment (I could afford them, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea), but they've got a huge selection under the "very wide" list. Thanks! 

That link goes to a domain parking site.  Do you maybe mean www.theshoemart.com ?

Maybe try Allen Edmonds. The web page indicates they only go up to a 3E but depending on the style they can fit loose. I would personally try them on in a store then wait for a sale on-line. Zappos seems to have sales on regularly. Also I believe they can be re-soled so you can get more mileage out of your investment.

Next to that I would try and find a local cobbler. Where I live there isn’t a Shoe cobbler anymore but there is a boot company, where I got a great pair of custom made boots. When they wear out I just send them back and get new soles put on for $85.

Johnny

RSS

Latest Activity

Northumbrian commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"I haven't worn a shirt at all since last Saturday night, and have no plans to cover up anytime soon"
26 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Braeden P.D.'s discussion Post-Mortem Symposium
"I'd agree with that assessment. On a side note - I've spent a good bit of time following in the footsteps of Bartolomew de las Casas, and researching him. I can't believe there isn't a good biographical film or book out there. A…"
1 hour ago
Steve Dallas replied to Henrik Stroemblad's discussion Lacking in the most basic of common cortesy
"No freakin way, I have to correct the wife when she starts doing that disgusting habit. Even with her mouth closed she eats loudly."
1 hour ago
Sir replied to Henrik Stroemblad's discussion Lacking in the most basic of common cortesy
"Rein it in."
2 hours ago
Sir replied to Steve Dallas's discussion Corporate Stupidity
"Idk why I'm immune, but I seem to be.  Im always saying, IT gives me whatever I want; what did you do to piss them off?  Mgt didn't give us a raise; do you work that much harder than the groundskeepers, who make approx nothing?…"
2 hours ago
Henrik Stroemblad joined Carlos Lemus's group
Thumbnail

Book Group

This is a group for all those of us who enjoy a good book. In this group you can submit reviews, start discussions on specific books, or simply share what you're reading.
3 hours ago
Beowulf87 replied to Blair Brown's discussion Is coloring your hair unmanly?
"Coloring because you're going gray (something I also plan to NOT do) is different than coloring the natural color.  Just different issues, in my opinion."
4 hours ago
Beowulf87 replied to Henrik Stroemblad's discussion Lacking in the most basic of common cortesy
"I'm really sorry to have to say this, but whether you agree with Henrik or not perhaps we could show him the common courtesy he is concerned with disappearing?  Why the insults?  Mr. Muir, we have conversed before, and you have been…"
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service