I keep trying to turn this post into a four-paragraph ordeal. Short version:

See the attachment for a picture of me from about three months ago, to get an idea of how I dress on a normal day. (I've lost about 30 pounds since then, but that doesn't affect my shoes. And, obviously, I dress differently in summer.) I wear khakis when the occasion demands something that is not jeans.

Looking for something that works for casual wear with jeans, but can also work with a pair of khakis. Trouble is, I wear an 11 4E, and all I can seem to find are sneakers, sandals, moc toes, and things that are way too formal. To be clear: I hate moc toes, so those are out.

I'm going to try a pair of 11 W (2E equivalent) Durst saddles from Johnston & Murphy, in mahogany, but I'm not hopeful.

I feel like I've looked everywhere online already. Anyone happen to know a place I can get a brown or grey pair of one-color bucks/saddles/Oxfords that don't look way too formal with jeans... in my size?

(For reference, take a look at the saddles I ordered from J&M: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1620&pid=38880&...)

Views: 422

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Woops, said brown or grey (*and* linked to the brown shoes). Meant black or grey (and to link to the black ones). Obviously, other accessories (and coat) are black, so the shoes should ideally be black, too.

Hitchcock Shoes

I have a similar issue (11 1/2, EEE).  The extra wide sizes on some of the Aldens (I think it's the "Barrie" last) run really wide.  Try www.shoemart.com and don't hesitate to call them either.  Some folks there are very knowledgeable.

I think the Aldens are a bit out of my price range at the moment (I could afford them, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea), but they've got a huge selection under the "very wide" list. Thanks! 

That link goes to a domain parking site.  Do you maybe mean www.theshoemart.com ?

Maybe try Allen Edmonds. The web page indicates they only go up to a 3E but depending on the style they can fit loose. I would personally try them on in a store then wait for a sale on-line. Zappos seems to have sales on regularly. Also I believe they can be re-soled so you can get more mileage out of your investment.

Next to that I would try and find a local cobbler. Where I live there isn’t a Shoe cobbler anymore but there is a boot company, where I got a great pair of custom made boots. When they wear out I just send them back and get new soles put on for $85.

Johnny

RSS

Latest Activity

Rick Shelton replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"That and the fact that Thursday is from Nordic mythology (Thor's day) as is Friday (Freya's day).  Sunday could be Norse as well because Sun was a god, who guided the sun (imagine that).  Moon, who was the guide for the moon was…"
8 minutes ago
Matthew Perry replied to Matthew Perry's discussion Where to start a collection? in the group Fountain Pens
"I have a Lamy safari and while it's not very nice to look at it is by far the best writing pen I have"
8 minutes ago
Christopher McLaughlin left a comment for T Patrick Bailey
"Thanks for the friend request! How are you?"
10 minutes ago
Sean replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"Anybody else out there finding themselves missing that flaming finger guy from a few years back?  The one who worshiped Crowley and thought Alec Baldwin's speech in Glengarry Glenross was the utter epitome  manliness?"
17 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"Yeah like, "Don't hang your junk"."
19 minutes ago
Tim Dienes replied to Ricky's discussion I-group Judgements in the group New Warriors
"I visited an open I-group for six weeks, and it was a good experience, and there was true processing going on. I hope to return to the same group soon, since my initiation is less than three weeks away. Sorry to hear that it was not functioning…"
20 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to RM's discussion Girl at work
"+1 If she gets weird about you asking her out on an 'actual' date then drop the subject but keep her as a friend.  More relationships have started through friends of friends than any other method (yes, even online matching…"
24 minutes ago
Profile IconJohn P, Tomáš, Fernando and 40 more joined Art of Manliness
24 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service