Hey guys. I would like you to imagine a scenario and give me your input and opinion on the matter. Let's say hypothetically that you have worked and saved and worked and saved like a dog for the past six and a half years. You are now in your late 20's. You live in an apartment. You own an old car but it is in good condition, paid off. You are sick of living a mediocre existence as a run-of-the-mill guy paying the bills. You have no debt. You are ready for a new phase in your life, where you can achieve greatness and amass great power and wealth. You are willing to risk your safety. You are physically healthy, strong, and mentally ready.

You want greatness. You want to conquer. You have about 52,000 saved up.
In this scenario, what would/should such an ambitious man do?

Views: 1193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not an ambitious man, but I'll have a shot!

What's your career situation?  That will have a huge effect.

If that cash doesn't go into something related to that, and if you aren't going to move, then it's well worth it to buy a house.  It's way better financially than renting.

If  I hadn't already gone to college then that's where I would use the money.  Of course the degreee program would have to be one that could pay off in the long term (business, IT, medical, computer science, engineering, etc.) but something I am interested in.

If you want to change your situation now, Buy a house/condo/etc, get a roommate or two to really reduce the mortgage into nothing and live like a king for a few years. There are some serious tax advantages to owning as well. This is exactly what I did years ago, and loved it. I rented for a while then bought something (that was actually way more space and more expensive than I needed). I got a few roommates and they nearly paid the mortgage. It was great living for next to nothing in my own home for a few years.

But there are tons of things you can do with it. The "average" ror on safe investments is 5-7% so you could park your 52k in some mutual funds and know you'll be set later in life.

but it depends on what you want to do? change your situation now? or invest for later? Maybe you can swing both in your area?

+1

I'd buy a duplex or 4-plex or even a mobile home park using some of that money for the down payment, putting some more in an account strictly for emergency repairs of that investment and if there's any left I'd take a manly vacation. Maybe a hunting or hiking trip in another country.

Start a business.

Same. Starting a business sounds smart. Risky but smart.

Agree,  but do it right. Make a business plan and do something you love. You might have a friend that has a great idea for a business or has a small business that could use some investment, get creative.

...Id start a business. Risky but

Take some time off work - develop a good business idea and start writing up a plan. Find a mentor group who can help you flesh the idea out, then depending on the idea and size, start up, or leverage a chunk of that 50k into a solid loan to get the business going. 

Obviously, finding that business idea and it's development time are the important things here. No point going into debt, or wiping out your savings without a solid idea and a plan to execute it. 

Advice from your friendly, neighborhood banker:

Unless you are insanely wealthy, invest in your retirement.

If you have a balance on your credit card or revolving line...pay it off.

You may not look at a credit card balance as debt, but it is, and it;s the worst kind.

Sadly, $50,000 is not a lot of money for anything crazy, and you are young. Retirement, retirement, reirement.

Good point

First I think I'd take a bit of pride knowing that a 20-30 something debt free hard worker is NOT run-of-the-mill. Working and saving like a dog doesn't make us a dog or slave.

Second, I'd focus the $52,000 on working for me and never against me.

Third, I'd set a finacial goal of remainig debt free while affording myself creature comforts.

Fourth, I'd insure that family and friends remain a constant effort.

RSS

Latest Activity

William Edwards joined Brett McKay's group
Thumbnail

30 Days to a Better Man 2009

The official group for the 2009 30 Days to a Better Man Project.
27 minutes ago
Karl Helweg commented on Jonas Ogrefoln's group Archaic Technology
47 minutes ago
Penelope replied to Kneller's discussion business casual shoes for under $100?
"I totally agree. I wonder, though, about the width.  If you're an unusual size, you usually can't get your size at the lowest price tier, and sometimes not even mid-tier.  I looked at a few oxfords on walmart's website to…"
1 hour ago
Chuck Knight replied to Kneller's discussion business casual shoes for under $100?
"I've said this before, and it's still true. You're looking for a style. What is your requirement with regards to quality? Style and taste exist independent of price. You can shop at Walmart and look like the proverbial million…"
1 hour ago
Will replied to Nick's discussion Connecting with God Emotionally in the group Christian Men
"Well, no, recognizing love as having an action component is not changing its definition.  It's adhering to it.   But it's apparent we won't get an agreement on this."
1 hour ago
Jonathon Ruzich joined Tookie's group
Thumbnail

Christian Men

Regardless of the specifics, we can all agree on one thing. Jesus Christ was the perfect Man who died and rose again for us such that we could have fellowship with Him
1 hour ago
Jonathon Ruzich updated their profile
1 hour ago
Penelope replied to Kneller's discussion business casual shoes for under $100?
"Macys has some extra-wide loafers around $80. If you go into the store, you can learn your best sizes and brands, and look for them on ebay, or buy online from sites that don't offer returns."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service